The Witch, for DD

Player character options and their spells

Post by capheind » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:30 pm

The Witch, for DD

So I really dig The Witch http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... _id=153367 by Timothy S. Brannan, but its written for the later "Basic" rules. I'm wondering if anyone has done any tweaking to make this a 0e compatible class? The advancement seems a bit off for 0e, as are the saves. In alot of ways its just a M-U/Cleric with some custom abilities.

Post by capheind » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:02 am

Re: The Witch, for DD

I was comparing the text to the LL rules and it seems like The Witch is essentially compatible, they are slightly less combat effective at 5th level than the MU, with a slightly higher XP requirement, but the witch gets many more special abilities so it balances out. And almost all the other witch stuff done by the same writer can be ported to the version of the class for the game your playing, so players can pretty much plug in the other witch traditions he's worked up using the rules for the "basic" class and it shouldn't break much. I need to run this at some point, but my schedule is a bit cockeyed. Anybody want to play a witch in a PBP game? I also want to try out the Carcosa method of handling Hit Dice.

Post by capheind » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:12 am

One tweak is to allow the lesser power at 6th or 5th level and the minor power at 12th or 10th level, so that they come into play. The higher level powers would also be tweaked one or two levels lower if you allow PCs past 12th level.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:34 am

Hey Capheind, I haven't really given any thought to back-porting a specific witch class for DD/0e, but I've been pondering witches in general for a while now.

What do you think should be the standout features of a witch class? Or... what should differentiate a witch from a regular M-U?

Maybe we can build an 0e witch from the ground up?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by capheind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 am

Ways: For now I think using "The Witch" is a good option, its a fairly well designed Witch, it is the basis for the witch class in Adventurer Conqueror King, which I'd say is my second choice after earlier edition retro-clones.

The big features of his take on the witch are:

A Cleric/M-U combo without the combat abilities of the cleric
Traditions to classify which type of witch you are
Familiars at first level specific to the type of witch you are playing
a separate Ritual magic system in addition to the usage of clerical and arcane spells.

In my own games I'm thinking of using the M-U spell lists from Theorems and Thaumaturgy, the complete vivimancer, The Basic Illusionist, and Space-Age Sorcery to vary witches even further. Also I'm thinking of using the spell list for "Fey elves" in T&T to make elven magic users a little more unique.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:53 am

Sounds like a lot of "stuff" ;) I don't have access to most of it myself but I'm sure there's some great content in there.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by capheind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:12 am

In the "Hoggsarse" game I'm hoping to get off the ground its a perfect fit since Magic-Users are the scholarly sort, and Clerics are the monotheistic sort, Witches cover the other pre-monotheistic religions in the region.http://capheind.beevomit.org/Hoggsarse.Wiki/doku.php Hopefully I can find some delvers locally to try all this out.

Post by capheind » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 pm

I think the game stats are all OGL, so I may get around to posting them when I have the time.

as per the book

"All other text, including all game relevant statistics, is considered open for the use of Open Gaming License, unless otherwise noted with that text.
Correspondence can be made via my website at http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/ or at timothy.brannan@gmail.com."

Return to “Heroes & Magic”