(069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 am

Dorgan considers the distance overland...
Ways, how long will it take Dorgan to travel six leagues?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Merctime » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:55 am

Re: (069) Pilgrims & Practicalities

Dhren would be willing to go with Dorgan... In the hopes of being a guide for the dwarf in lands not native to him.
I'm assuming Dhren would have a good idea as to how to get him where he's going, and who to help him get to?

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:49 am

A league is the distance a Man can hike in an hour, or about three miles. However, six leagues as the crow flies might be nearer to eight or nine leagues on foot in rugged terrain, and encumbrance would be a factor also. But Dorgan figures he could hike it in two days of good marching.

Dhren confirms he covered exactly the same trek in about the same time not a week earlier.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:41 am

It has been another big day--the second since leaving Southwatch, and an extremely fruitful one in terms of treasures gain, seeing the company's biggest haul yet.

However, as night falls it is clear the remainder of the company are not going to return to the dormitory, so the pilgrims and heroes bed down for some much needed rest.
So ends day two since leaving Southwatch.

The referee assigns Helmut, Dhren, and Ashtad to watch duty and then checks for undesirable encounters during the night. But the night passes without incident...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 am

The new day dawns cool and overcast. It has rained lightly during the night, and the patchy clouds are still clearing.

The pilgrims rise early for their morning prayers, which Josiane gives and the Templar Helmut mutely attends. Then you break your fast on the Elvish way bread, considering both your remaining food stocks and your purpose for this new day...
The ref dices for the weather; 2d6=6 which indicates clearing conditions.

Now that everyone has rested and leveled up I will re-roll hit points for those present:

Dorgan; F4; HD 4+4(-4); hp=17
Desmond; F/Th 4/4; HD 4/2+2; hp=19
Josiane; C5; HD 4; hp=16
Armando; Th4; HD 2+2; hp=11
Helmut; Tm2; HD 2; hp=9
Ashtad; Mk2; HD 2; hp=7
Dhren; Ms1; HD 1; hp=5
Ulric; M-U4; HD 3; hp=12

Dorgan is poisoned and will survive four more days including this day.

Josiane and Ulric must declare which, if any, spells they wish to memorise this morn.

Everyone else should plan for day three's activities...

Post by Condorcet » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:40 am

Helmut starts his day as always with a severe workout, taking advantage of the vacant courtyard to swing his greatsword in keen arcs. Somehow the giant blade of the Tines of Seyal slices the dawn air more true than only yesterday - perhaps it has something to do with the revelation he received in his dreams, which he can still feel like a growing warmth within.
Helmut is so impressed with this new OOC bar that he has to modify his post just to put something in it

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Desmond wakes from his sleep fully refreshed and feeling much more hale than the last few days. He smiles and looks around. Maybe he just had some sort of cold or minor sickness? No, it isn't that. Or, rather, it isn't completely that. It's as if he's reached a new level of understanding in some of his knowledge and skills. But he does also feel better. Even Mondes seems less surly today.

"Wa're ye grinnin' 'bout, ugly?"

Never mind; he's just as surly.
Sully, I think WOTE wanted us to start using the IC/OC and OOC tags for anything related to the current IC thread so as to keep the OOC thread "safe" reading for others who shouldn't read or don't want to read the current IC thread.

In any case, the polymorph potion isn't permanent, is it? What about using it to make yourself into something that can travel to the elf village faster? Like a big cat or a horse (not sure on the size differential limits of the potion). As long as you can change back once you're at the elf village, then it should be good. Or maybe if a fleet-of-foot elf could go with you, that would be better. Or you could carry a note in elven from Wen in a tube tied to your neck or some such thing. Or polymorph into something that can fly? THAT would be the fastest route...

Getting the potion from Ulrich might take longer than the actual travel time.
Last edited by ehiker133 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Merctime » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:22 pm

"Fellows, I fear for the very life of our own Dorgan. I would like to offer accompanying him to the elfish lands of my birth, in the hopes of acting as a guide when we get there to gain him much-needed remedies. I believe I know where to go, and whom to talk to. Who can we afford to accompany us, and still have enough to watch here for our ring folks and to send after those not returned from outside the abbey? They should be fleet of foot, and able to travel lightly," finishes Dhren, as he quickly addresses the party after a light repast.

He appears ready, and quite eager, to go... His pack upon shoulder, cloak drawn about him; The elf appears ready for fast movement; Only requiring an hour of meditation and his complicated sword-practice.

"I'll be ready to venture at the end of an hour, after I exercise body and mind. I'm loathe to use such time, but it must be used, lest I lose my abilities. Please confer with each other during such time as to who will go! Or if there be another of my ilk that may guide. Otherwise, I'll exercise now so as to be ready as soon as possible."

The elf quickly moves to a corner of the abbey, and reads his hefty tome; Sometimes performing strange and involved body stretches and sword-movements.

It would be great if we could get one, or a few if we can afford them, pretty tough people to go to the woods for Dorgan's care. I for one have no idea what we might encounter along the way. Just tossing this out there... Let's keep the Dwarf alive!

Game mechanic note: Dhren is spending his requisite hour for sword mastery.

Post by doctorx » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Josiane rises early, attends to the necessary rituals for both the pilgrims and herself, then takes counsel with her fellow party members.

"It seems a number of our party have vanished, several perhaps by their own volition." (A flash of grey fire in her eyes here, but she continues calmly.)

"We cannot abandon them. Neither can we leave the pilgrims undefended while a shapeshifter may still stalk this place. That being said, Dorgan's need is great. If the Ivory Wold can help us, we must do all we can to seek their aid; and swiftly."

Hoot the owl sits poised imperiously upon her wrist. She takes a moment to ruffle the bird's feathers.

"Which brings me to my dear friend here..."
Can I please ask if, should Josiane's spell wear off before we can find a cure, Dorgan gets another chance at a Saving Throw against the poison?

Josiane memorises:

1st LEVEL:
The Supplication of Medicant Requite,
The Righteous Evangelist.

2nd LEVEL:
Hold Person,
Speak with Animals.

And she'll want to use the latter immediately for a chat with her favourite owl... ;)
Last edited by doctorx on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:01 am

Ehiker: The notion of someone polymorphing into, say, a horse (or pegasus!) and making swiftly for Southwatch--with our without a rider--seems to be entirely plausible.

DocX: As far as I can tell there is no additional saving throw when the slow poison effect ends; but that is days away yet ;)

DocX: Note that a 5th level cleric can memorise only two 1st and two 2nd level spells per day.

Return to “Hinterlands”