(067) Back Passages

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Condorcet » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 am

Re: (067) Back Passages

Helmut aids the dwarf in disabling the chute.

Once this is done, he surveys the empty laundry, "If we have exhausted all other options, then can we declare this place free of the Enemy? I know not, being a recent arrival, but it seems that you have already seen much of this place.There may still be a doppel-ganger to worry about, but otherwise we have only the ring? "

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:00 am

Yes, the dumbwaiter is run via rope and pulley; it is a simple matter for Dhren the Elf to cut the rope and bring it all down.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by coffee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:05 am

"Let me see that," Dieter says, putting his sword away and taking up the rope. He'll go over the whole length, checking for structural quality, age, weak spots, that sort of thing.

And if it passes muster, he'll hang onto it, coiling it up and adding it to his equipment. He'll also be able to guesstimate it's length, so we'll know about how deep we are.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:14 am

"Well... There is the matter of the remaining shadows, and whatever treasures we might find in their lair. I wonder if Ulrich has had any luck deciphering that ring..." Desmond trails off into silence as he worries about his friend being so absent of mind lately.
Last edited by ehiker133 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:41 am

Dorgan will say, Blocking this shaft is a bit more work than we need to dedicate to it right now. Let's head back to the Ring Room so someone smarter than me can turn it on and we can find Gustave!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Merctime » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:54 am

"I'm certain that ring can be mastered once the celestial markings on it are placed in proper order," speaks Dhren, "Although mayhap they ARE in order if viewed from the other side of it? If I remember rightly, on the side I looked at them, those star-signs were nearly perfectly backwards. Perhaps one must physically enter the ring from the side that the markings make sense, if there are no dials to move the markings about to correct placement. I bet we can get it figured out."

Having cut the rope, Dhren makes a move towards the stairs that lead to the ring-room, sword in hand, quietly stepping. He turns back to the party, shrugging his shoulders and smiling as he whispers somewhat loudly to them,

"You never know. Something might have followed us back here. I'll check the stairs for just that." And this is what he does, moving to the left side of the entry to the stairs, and peeks up them. He remains there, watching up the stairs, listening for any commotion from the ring room that might signify that the others were attacked or came upon some sort of trouble in there.

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:21 am

ehiker133 wrote:"Well... There is the matter of the remaining shadows, and whatever treasures we might find in their lair. I wonder if Ulrich has had any luck deciphering that ring..." Desmond trails off into silence as he worries about his friend being so absent of mind lately.
"If we want to solve more of this Abbey's mysteries, we should do it now," suggests Highbough, "for I fear entering the ring may be a one-way journey for some or all of us."
Merctime wrote:"I'm certain that ring can be mastered once the celestial markings on it are placed in proper order," speaks Dhren, "Although mayhap they ARE in order if viewed from the other side of it? If I remember rightly, on the side I looked at them, those star-signs were nearly perfectly backwards. Perhaps one must physically enter the ring from the side that the markings make sense, if there are no dials to move the markings about to correct placement. I bet we can get it figured out."
"No need to physically enter the ring to see the star-signs from the correct perspective... that mirror you carry will accomplish the same. Hold the mirror in front of you with your back to the ring, like the figures in the mural."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:30 am

mushgnome wrote:"No need to physically enter the ring to see the star-signs from the correct perspective... that mirror you carry will accomplish the same. Hold the mirror in front of you with your back to the ring, like the figures in the mural."
A distant memory turns uneasily; somewhere deep down in the long-neglected vaults of Highbough's subconscious an uncomfortable realisation is forming...

Alcazar, Alcazar, Alcazar...

Got to be, Got to be, Got to be...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Highbough keeps muttering to himself, something about "Seal of Seyal" and the "next thousand years." His face bears an expression of pained remembrance.

"Poor, unfortunate Gustave," he sighs.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Merctime » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Dhren looks confused by all of this; He should, really, as he's only recently entered these happenings.

"Fellows, I'll assist as best I may, for your friend Gustave and for Ket. And your idea of the mirror," he says, looking to Highbough, "Is quite a stunning one. I wouldn't have dreamed of such a solution without you saying it! Perhaps we should try that once we've gone up the stairs. Shall we get on with this, and brave the stone ring?"

The new-elf-on-the-block stands at the stair entrance, at the ready, awaiting the others' response or action. He looks as if he's resigned himself of not clearly understanding all that has transpired, but ready to get involved nonetheless.

Return to “Hinterlands”