[05] The Underbelly

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by Tonneau » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Re: [05] The Underbelly

Urtzil, still perched on the lower stairs, smiles to himself as the wyvern is defeated and pops the remaining fragment of worm into his mouth. He then brushes aside his fetid cloak to reveal the skin-bound tome containing his magics, and a fox pelt upon which are etched further illegible runes. His guttural chant issues from within the folds of his cloak as a fountain of black fragments are thrown into the air...

| Urtzil casts *sleep* on the remaining party members from his spellbook. He will then have ready the scroll of *charm person* for any left standing. |
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 pm

| A quick status check:

Here in the Wyvern's lair we have: [p Man,mail+helm,hand ax,shield,9,6/8]Biratlan[/p], [p Man,plate+helm,sword,open hand,12,9/9]Magnus[/p], [pp Man,cloak,dagger,lantern,12,4/4]Sullivus[/pp], [p Halfling,mail+helm,mace,shield,9,7/7]Tumbly[/p], [p Halfling,leather,shortsword,open hand,9,5/5]Filbert[/p] and [p Man,cloak,cat-stick,open hand,12,5/5]Urtzil[/p].

Up the ramp in the cultist chamber [p Man,mail+helm,spear,shield,9,8/8]Arcus[/p] remains on watch.

[p Hired Man,clothes,dagger,torch,12,3/3]Poitr[/p] remains back at the base camp, beyond the swamp.

And [p Man,mail+helm,hammer,shield,9,6/6]Vergas[/p], [p Halfling,leather,sling,open hand,9,4/4]Potts[/p], and [p Elf,leather,longbow,open hand,12,7/7]Rahaulyr[/p] have all been slain in the underworld. |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by DuBeers » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 pm

I don't do PvP. I'm out.

Simon, NPC my player-character as you see fit.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 pm

| Now seems like an appropriate time for the referee dice for the Wyvern's treasure hoard...

Wyverns have treasure type E, so that's: 33% chance of 1-10 thousand sp, 33% chance of 1-6 thousand gp, 17% chance of 1-6 gems, 17% chance of 1 piece of jewelry, and 33% chance of any 3 magic items and 1 spellbook/scroll.

The ref dices for the five possible treasure categories: 5d6=3,5,1,5,5; so there is gold and there are magic items.

The quantity of gold shall be: 1d6=6! So 6,000 gp.

The three rolls on the magic items table are: 3d100=83,19,34; so there's a sword, a miscellaneous magic item, and a potion. As well as the spellbook/scroll.

Now the referee dices to determine what each of these items is:

[sword] d100=39; Sword +1, +2 vs lycanthropes
[misc. item] d100=27; cloak of displacement.
[potion] d100=74; resistance to fire
[book/scroll] d100=40; M-U spell book (odd=1st level, even=2nd level) d6=5, so it's a 1st level spell book.

Is the magic sword intelligent? 2d6=6 so no; it is an unintelligent weapon.

All told, the Wyvern's hoard comprises:
6,000 gp, the magic sword +1/+2 vs lycanthropes, the clock of displacement, a potion of resistance to fire, and book of 1st level magic-user spells!

Now that is some treasure haul!

In a normal game I probably wouldn't reveal the nature of magic items immediately. Instead, the players would need to use a read magic spell to identify the spells in the spell book.

A read magic or detect magic would reveal clues about the nature of the other items, while use of both a read magic and a detect magic would serve to identify the specifics of each item. |
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by mistere29 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 am

| Can I try to interrupt urtizl's spell? |

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:08 am

mistere29 wrote:| Can I try to interrupt urtizl's spell? |
We'll wrap up the game here Mistere29--see my posts the Out of Character and Conclusions threads.

However, had we continued the ensuing squabble over the loot, then I probably would have allowed Urtzil to make a surprise roll. Had he not made this, then I would have allowed the other PCs an opportunity to act--and possibly interrupt his spell. Of course the non-magic-users would not have known what Urtzil was up to, but Sullivus the mage would have known ;)

Post by sully » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:15 am

waysoftheearth wrote:Of course the non-magic-users would not have known what Urtzil was up to, but Sullivus the mage would have known ;)
And Sully the player would have remembered the fate of the players in the last Demo Game and been on his guard for just such treachery! Even though The Herald had expired before such perfidy had been visited upon that unlucky group...
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 am

sully wrote:And Sully the player would have remembered the fate of the players in the last Demo Game and been on his guard for just such treachery! Even though The Herald had expired before such perfidy had been visited upon that unlucky group...
I thought exactly the same thing! These sorcerers can't be trusted! :D

Post by Idrahil » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:29 am

Great fun!

And I was going to post....it just wouldn't be a WOTE Delving Deeper demo game without treachery!

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”