Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by ratikranger » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:33 am

Re: Out Of Character

Well that's true, but I wasn't going to throw my one and only weapon at the leeches. :cry: Better luck next time! :mrgreen: Can you put me on the waiting list please? :roll:

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:37 am

mistere29 wrote:| Oops, sorry Ratik, I didn't think to combine efforts, although at least Mangus has been damaging the other leeches. The DM has been kind to me, if my rolls hold out I can avenge Vergas! |
Hey, that's nothing to do with me--thank the dice! :D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:42 am

ratikranger wrote:I wasn't going to throw my one and only weapon at the leeches. :cry: Better luck next time!
Yes indeed... sometime it's better to let those better equipped win the day ;)
Still, it's all good experience to add to the pile.
ratikranger wrote:I wasn't going to throw my one and only weapon at the leeches. :cry: Better luck next time! :mrgreen: Can you put me on the waiting list please? :roll:
Yes Sirree! Check the Heroes in the Making thread for your new numbers shortly...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by Idrahil » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Hey WOTE,

in this quote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Missile fire occurs immediately:
Pots 1d20=5 (+1 dexterity, +2 short range, +3 halfling, +2 surprise) hits AC 9, 1d6=6!
Arcus 1d20=11 (+1 dexterity, +1 all hurled missiles are at medium range, +2 surprise) hits AC 9, 1d6=3.
Sullivus 1d20=7 (+1 all hurled missiles are at medium range, +2 surprise) misses AC 9 (by 1 pip!), so Sullivus has undershot the target area.

The referee now dices for hit points: Zealots are 1+1 HD, and this particular pair have 2d6=4,1 so 7 hit points between them.

There's no need to dice to whether they drop their torches and flails; since they have been slain they will of course drop everything.
Did you combine player damage vs the combine hitpoints of the cultists? It seems that ways because technically, the 6 damage roll could have been vs the guy with 2 hitpoints and the 3 damage roll could have been vs the 5 hitpoint guy.

I have never done this before! This makes sense in the realm of 1 minute rounds. Pots dealt out 6 damage over the course of 60 seconds.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Idrahil wrote:Did you combine player damage vs the combine hitpoints of the cultists? It seems that ways because technically, the 6 damage roll could have been vs the guy with 2 hitpoints and the 3 damage roll could have been vs the 5 hitpoint guy.

I have never done this before! This makes sense in the realm of 1 minute rounds. Pots dealt out 6 damage over the course of 60 seconds.
Yes.

This is the method of damage allocation described in Empire of the Petal Throne. It treats a group of normal-types as a group target with damage always being deducted from the weakest individual in the group first. Any "overkill" damage carries over from one individual to the next.

This method dispatches normal mooks quickly, minimises record keeping, and also encourages the idea that a single attack roll can represent a number of actual attacks throughout a one minute combat turn because a single attack can damage--or even kill--multiple individuals.

I find this method is great for handling mooks and minions--it's a real time saver for the referee. But it's not so great when it comes to named individuals; so I handle these individually.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 pm

With Vergas gone, the party should consider electing a new leader. Having a leader will help keep the game rolling along without me having to wait for every player to post something every turn--I can presume the leader's posts will apply.

Based on charisma score (adding +2 for lawful alignment) and relative wisdom, it seems Potts would be the next most natural leader in the group, but it's up to you whether you have a leader at all, and if so who you choose.

Post by DuBeers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Sounds good to me.

Post by ratikranger » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:48 pm

I am not really there yet with my new character, but I also like the idea of a hobbit being in charge. :D And Vergas was sorta grooming him anyway...

Post by DuBeers » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:48 am

Yeah, we can go all "Watchmen" and rasp out "small world" and "tall order" when the hobbit snaps out orders.

Post by discuit » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:38 pm

I'll do my best! My only concern is for 2 days a week (different every week) i am unable to post, that may cause some issue no? Otherwise I'm happy to take the reigns. :)

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”