Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's V3 Demo Game

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 am

Re: Out Of Character

ratikranger wrote:There seems to be some thread/post chaos on [02] but I guess that's because things got copied?
Yes, sorry about that; I screwed up.

I wanted to move the first day activities into a new thread for the overland trek. I should have used the "move posts" feature for all four of the posts to move, but I foolishly copied & pasted the first post instead, and because of this the board forgot the timestamp of the original message. So now it appears out of order :(

I've asked Mike (our resident DBA) to try to fix it.

Edit: Mike has now fixed the problem for us. Thanks Mike!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Idrahil » Tue May 27, 2014 1:22 am

Stupid question: How many days doe your weeks have?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 am

Idrahil wrote:Stupid question: How many days doe your weeks have?
Let's say there are seven days per week ;)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 27, 2014 1:37 am

I think the in game posts would be easier to read if the PC class was "hidden" from view. What do you think?

It's up to you whether you go to the extra trouble, but if you wanted to post this:
ratikranger wrote:Vergas (C1) addresses Britalan (F1): "Brother Britalan..."
You could write it like this:
  Code:
[pc Human,Cleric]Vergas[/pc] addresses [pc Human,Fighter]Britalan[/pc]...
Which would be rendered like this:

[pc Human,Cleric]Vergas[/pc] addresses [pc Human,Fighter]Britalan[/pc]...

Post by DuBeers » Tue May 27, 2014 1:49 am

Looks good. I'll use that from now.

Post by DuBeers » Tue May 27, 2014 1:51 am

I've edited my latest post. The tags look good!

Post by ratikranger » Tue May 27, 2014 2:04 am

I guess I may have to learn those tags...

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 29, 2014 11:17 am

discuit wrote:OOC: Did Potts fail his move stealthy roll so as to be seen?
Individual refs can handle sneaking about in whatever way they prefer. For me, DD is about practical simplicity. From this perspective there's no need to roll a separate "move silently" check and then a separate the surprise check. It's simpler to presume that all this is "bundled" up with the a single surprise roll.

All PCs will surprise enemy on a roll of 5-6. But because thieves are especially sneaky and quiet and all the rest they surprise enemy on a roll of 3-6. It's that simple.

I would usually allow thieves this advantage only in urban or dungeon environments. But Halflings (and Elves) also have this same sneakiness outdoors. So in our game just now Potts exercised his Halfling (rather than his thief) sneakiness to surprise the dinosaurs. If he had been a Human or Dwarfish thief instead, his roll of 3 would not have surprised the dinosaurs.

Of course Potts' ability to surprise enemy has no bearing on the enemy's ability to surprise Potts. That is a purely a function of the enemy's capability--most monsters will surprise PCs on a roll of 5-6, regardless of the PC's race or class. Some particularly sneaky monsters will surprise PCs on a roll of 3-6 instead.

It's a more abstract approach than, say, AD&D. And because of that it's dead simple to run, it gives low level thieves good odds of performing their primary function, and it scales up indefinitely ;)

Post by discuit » Thu May 29, 2014 11:31 am

Roget that!

Just out of curiosity, how could/would Potts ever be able to properly be a "scout" then? As in approach an area whilst sneaking and be able to report enemies back to his comrades unseen if the only way he's sneakiness "triggers" is via a surprise roll, which in turn means he is technically spotted? Does my question make sense?

Eg. I envisioned Potts slowly sneaking/crouching through the swamps keeping an eye peeled for enemies, hoping to come upon them unseen, and thus be able to report back to the party. I like the simplicity of the surprise roll system for 2 groups stumbling on each other unexpectedly, but it seems to make scouting unseen impossible, or am i missing something.

Thanks for indulging me mate, much appreciated.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 29, 2014 12:03 pm

discuit wrote:Just out of curiosity, how could/would Potts ever be able to properly be a "scout" then?
In any scenario where our scout surprises the enemy and he is not surprised by them, then our scout has "out foxed" the enemy. He could choose to use this advantage to attack by surprise (aka back stab), or to slip by them, or to hang around and eavesdrop, or to attempt to pick a pocket, or to sneak off to report their presence to his allies, and so on.

This becomes all the more likely when our scout is already aware of the enemy (because he can hear them talking around the corner or has already observed them, for example) because there is then no possibility of them surprising him.

Bear in mind that random encounters can be tricky, especially in wide open spaces, because the referee doesn't know the enemy are there until the moment they pop up. This denies the player (and the referee) the opportunity to see them from farther off. In cases (such as this) where the dice yield "curious" outcomes, it's the referee's job to make it all seem plausible. In this case I tried to imply that these dinosaurs were grazing lazily, half-submerged and well camouflaged before Potts stumbled into them.

A creative player can help out by inventing plausible explanations for his unlucky rolls too ;)

Return to “Delving Deeper V3 Demo 2014”