Dungeon Filling Game

Maps, worlds, dungeons, towns, and other fun

Post by verhaden » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Dungeon Filling Game

I created a map over on Daves Mapper using Dyson's tiles. Then I edited the map, brought in elements from other (Dyson) tiles, and then live traced the end result in Illustrator so I could easily scale the dungeon for printing purposes.

Using the Delving Deeper gamma rules, I've come up with this basic key:

1) Monster - Men
2) Empty
3) Empty
4) Treasure Guarded by Monster - Centipedes, Large
5) Empty
6) Monster - Dwarfs
7) Treasure Guarded by Monster - Green Slime
8) Monster - NPC
9) Monster - Orcs
10) Monster Guarded by Treasure - Skeletons
11) Monster - Goblins
12) Trap - Poison
13) Empty
14) Monster - Snakes, large
15) Trap - Deadfall
16) Treasure Guarded by Monster - Spiders, large
17) Trap - Mantrap
18) Treasure Guarded by Monster - Orcs

Let's see what everybody can come up with using this information by the end of the month. I'll throw it all together into a PDF with formatting and everything. If everybody has fun, maybe I'll put together a map for every month.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:25 am

Re: Dungeon Filling Game

That's very cool verhaden :)

I want to find time to have fill out a dungeon key, but this week I'm just getting smashed. Maybe next week.

A couple of questions thou:

1) Would you mind letting the DD Google+ group know about it? There may be some folks there who would enjoy having a go.
2) How much effort was it to do the map? I'm interested in finding the right tools to create maps for some of my own adventure material :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by verhaden » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I'll share it over on the Google+ wall. I'm also planning on submitting my own dungeon dressing. And just to note, the PDF will be a free download and everybody gets full credit for their contributions. Ynas over at the OD&D boards had a Dungeon Filling Game that I based this from, but I thought a little more freedom in interpreting the key would allow for a wider variety of dungeon setups.

With respect to creating the map, it wasn't difficult:

I selected the Dungeon/Cave mix of tiles, excluded every tile set other than Dyson Logos', set the map mode to closed edge, and set the map size to 1x1.

Once I randomly generated a base layout that I liked, I exported the image. I repeated this step about three times. Then I went into Photoshop and started deleting rooms and passages from the first map that I didn't like. Then I went about adding features from the second and third into the first map. Afterwards, I tried to imagine the dungeon as a real space, and altered the directions of some of the stairs, added statues, columns, etc.

Then I filled in all of Dyson's hatching with black, saved the file, and exported it into Illustrator. I used the Live Trace tool and adjusted various settings to get the amount of detail and edge fidelity that I wanted. Then I saved that file.

I really like the way it turned out. I'm going to try using this process on some of my own maps and see how they look. Maybe create some vector symbol standards and geomorphs of my own.

That being said, here's the Copyright notice from Dave's Mapper:
Copyright/Usage

All tiles are owned by their respective artists and used here with permission from the artist. The tiles were made to be used in maps — so use them! But don't be a jerk — if you repost a generated map somewhere, don't claim it as your own work, and think about throwing a backlink here and/or to the tile artist(s).

The app was designed and coded by me, David Millar, with some of the functionality based on the original Morph Mapper and Monkey Mapper written by Rob Lang. If you make tiles and want to include them, let me know. If you like the GUI or the app and you're looking for a UI designer with a wealth of print and web design experience, I'm your guy!
So at least in this respect I'm going to clearly attribute both Dyson Logos and Dave's Mapper in the PDF as I did in the post. I would caution against using these tools or workflow process in a for-profit published adventure module without first contacting both of the above parties first. I'd feel more comfortable with a Creative Commons license behind all this, though.

Post by Ynas Midgard » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 am

Hi everyone! I will most certainly try and come up with something cool for this.

Post by verhaden » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:37 am

Going to extend this to the end of April -- I will be MIA next week and then some.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:16 pm

verhaden wrote:Going to extend this to the end of April -- I will be MIA next week and then some.
Yep, sorry about not getting my entry in, Verhaden. I was on holiday for a week and came back to a surplus of work, so I've been trying to work through that for a while. I'm about half way done with mine, though...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by verhaden » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 pm

One week to go.

This notice applies for me as well :)

Post by DuBeers » Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am

Ack! I overlooked this! If you run another contest count me in.

Post by verhaden » Tue May 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Will do. Lack of response kinda took the wind out of my sails, but I'm still putting the finishing touches on my dressing and I hope to have a PDF released sooner rather than later.

Post by Idrahil » Tue May 27, 2014 6:41 pm

I will participate in the next map if you do one. Did I understand the original post here correctly, you drew a map and we fill it? Or was it more like the one we did on ODD74 where the key was also given and we all "filled in the gaps"?

Return to “Supplements and Adventures!”