Hero Titles

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:51 am

Re: Hero Titles

+1 on "The Gustave." It's a name and a title.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Olroda » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:49 am

It might be a bit simple, (and intended as a joke?), but I really think that "Lucky Olaf" or "Olaf the Lucky" fits.
I'm in agreement about "The Gustave" as well. The one and only. :)

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Okay then, I've done my best... I hope everyone is "pleased enough".

A couple of them were tricky. In the end I had to just take a step back and ask "What will I remember about this character in 10 years times?"

Desmond was probably the hardest, because he's been virtually made by his two-headed curse--but that's something that could theoretically go away. Two-heads isn't necessarily what he is all about, but it is certainly a memorable feature of the character, and it is what local tongues would be wagging about. "Double Des" might have an alternate implication later... we'll see.

Dorgan was a bit tricky too. But he's been a stalwart, and he also possesses the marrowstone; a living mountain's heart! So "The Rock" has a double meaning, and it pleases me to think that the gossips would be whispering "The Rock controls mountains..." etc. etc.

Josiane has been a Saint, so that was relatively easy, and it could prove to be something of a challenge for her to come to terms with an adoring public :)

Olaf, Highbough, and Gustave just had to be.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Anything but "the Cypher" really, nobody voted for that one. ;)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I'd already changed it to: Highbough "the Grey" cos most common folk wouldn't know what a "cypher" is. The gossips would only know of a bent, old, grey elf.

Grey is old.
Grey is the fuzzy bit between black and white.
Then there was Gandalf the Grey...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah, that works!

I see Highbough has a good shot at becoming the first to 5th level. I guess following the dark side pays off!

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:00 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:I'd already changed it to: Highbough "the Grey" cos most common folk wouldn't know what a "cypher" is. The gossips would only know of a bent, old, grey elf.

Grey is old.
Grey is the fuzzy bit between black and white.
Then there was Gandalf the Grey...
The old grey elf
he AIN'T what he use do be
AIN'T what he use do be
AIN'T what he used to be
The old grey elf
He AIN'T what he used to be
Many years ago...

(Or... Am I the only one who had the in his head?)
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Tonneau » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:23 pm

I seem to have missed the boat on this one, but heres my 2cp worth:

'The Gustave' is Gustaves self-imposed title when testy; this is suiting for a name of renown i guess, but 'The Governer' (aka 'The Guv') has a nice ring to it and is more likely to have arisen among the people (rather than those with direct experience of him becoming peeved in combat).

Highbough could also be 'Dreamwalker' - a two sided title, becuase of his wont to walk around the place appearing from nowhere (invisible) but also becuase of the tendency for his mind to wander...

Olaf 'deathcheater'? surviving not one but two direct contacts with the other side at the hands of undead seems noteworthy (also sounds a bit more impressive than 'lucky' which could just imply he didnt step in the muddy puddle)

Josiane the Saint - yes, OK. This seems to miss out her wandering, soul-searching, side though. How about The Vagabond Saint? More like an upgrade on her previous title (knight -> saint yes?) - or the Lonely Saint?

Dorgan the Rock - (images of short stocky guy on the edge of the ring barely reaching top of the ropes, holds stubby finger aloft); why not go simpler - i think Dorgan has peformed consistently above-average (perhaps apart from the bookcase affair) rather than being the engineer of any stand out event. This would seem to be rather Dwarvish. Given his renown would be among (mostly humans) people in the Ket area, this might be enough of a point on its own, ie how about just Dorgan - The Dwarf?

Desmond is a tricky one to be sure. 'Double Des' is a bit revealing though given that in truth only a few know of his twin noggins. I think his renown would rather have arisen from the fact that noone knows who/what he is, given he is always concealed. At the same time he is a member of a band of heroes and one is his own right. All kinds of stories would have arisen over what/who he is, but noone really knows (he eats bad children, he is badly burned, he has the plague, he has two heads). If we also assume that his name is unknown, the title needs to stand on its own; so how about 'The Other', or 'The Untold'.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am

Tonneau wrote:I seem to have missed the boat on this one, but heres my 2cp worth:

'The Gustave' is Gustaves self-imposed title when testy; this is suiting for a name of renown i guess, but 'The Governer' (aka 'The Guv') has a nice ring to it and is more likely to have arisen among the people (rather than those with direct experience of him becoming peeved in combat).
Dorgan is going to start calling him The Guv. We'll start a grass-roots campaign!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 am

sully wrote:Dorgan is going to start calling him The Guv. We'll start a grass-roots campaign!
I'm happy with "The Guv" too. So it shall be.

Return to “Retired Threads”