Interest in an Old-School Dungeon Delve?

Promote your new PBP game here

Post by Makofan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Interest in an Old-School Dungeon Delve?

Hi

My name is Mako, and I have been DMing since 1979. I have run many pBp games, and currently have a very successful campaign going on the OD&D74 board, which is in its 8th year.

I have always wanted to do a straight dungeon crawl, where logistics like light sources and food become important, and the goal is to go down and outwit, out-fight, or out-maneuver monsters and traps to gain treasure and levels, and then go back in again! Plots need not apply (although I have a thin framework to hang the dungeon delve on). It is all about the joy of interaction and exploration, using your wits, your resources, your imagination, and your character's skills to overcome puzzles and obstacles to gain treasure and power.

Most of my games are what I call 'vanilla'. I have found that vanilla monsters plus vanilla treasure plus vanilla maps plus vanilla character classes and races, when inter-twining after given a slight 'twist', makes for an easily understandable but enjoyable game. I was going to house rule some OD&D, but then I read Simon's brilliant ruleset and vowed to use them as my next set of rules.

If anybody here is interested in a straight dungeon crawl run on these boards, please chime in on this thread. My campaigns have high death rates (26 casualties in 7 years) and pull no punches (sometimes you have to run, and sometimes you are just unlucky...) but seem to be popular. If you want to check out my DMing style, you can go to odd74.proboards.com and check out Makofan's Verbosh Campaign and browse the posts.

I think 3 characters would be the minimum, and more than six would get unwieldy

Thank you

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Re: Interest in an Old-School Dungeon Delve?

Welcome to the forums, Makofan! Glad to see you over here, even if you do kill my poor Kid off in the first round of your shootout... ;)

Are you talking about running the game on ODD74 or here on the Immersive Ink forum?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Makofan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 pm

I am talking about running a DD game here on Simon's DD forum. He gave me permission last year, but I am just getting around to it now.

The game is really a risk/reward experiment - you choose the risk by your depth, but maybe reap the reward! PC's will die like flies at first, but a few will eventually survive to level 3 or so and then will have a bit more safety factor to them

Post by riftstone » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:20 am

I am very interested! My characters die like champs!

Post by Makofan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:22 am

That's 1!

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:35 am

Welcome Makofan, it's always great to see new games starting up :)

For anyone sitting on the fence; I've played in several of Mako's games and I rate him as a great ref. Jump in :D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by sully » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:08 pm

I'd love to play, Makofan.

Asta is enjoying your ODD74 game so why not another?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Makofan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:19 pm

That's 2!

Post by Makofan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:03 pm

I would like to run this without the thief class (not that I don't like thieves, I do - I play them often) because I have never run a dungeon delve without a thief class, and I want to see (as an experiment) how it was originally intended to work with no thievs.

Post by Brumbar » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:04 am

Roll me up a level 12 dwarf hero please :mrgreen:

Return to “New PBP Games”