Interest in The Edge of the Western Sea PBP?

Promote your new PBP game here

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Interest in The Edge of the Western Sea PBP?

I've been slowly coming around to committing to run a PBP. I wanted to check the interest level with the members here first before I go looking any further.

Details:

Ruleset would DD v3 + house rules. [Which means it will be OD&D in feel with the xp, spells and other things from the DD v3]

Settings: TEOTWS - The Edge of the Western Sea. Long ago I posted a small sandbox on the ODD74 boards for self contained campaign set on the very edge of my world. The feeling is meant to be Earthsea meets Shattered World. It's a Dark Age mentality, very small populations, very insular in their struggles to survive in a unpredictable world.

Class: Fighter, Wizard, Cleric [no thief]
Races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit [to start]

Scope: This is meant to be a long campaign where the players might very well rise to a level power to challenge foes beyond the edge of the world. Hence my slow rush to commitment. Once I start something I'm very good and keeping at it, so as long as players are interested it will get run even if that means a decade or more.

Pace: 2 or 3 weeks seems likely. We all know that pace is variable but I'm pretty sure I can 2/week pretty easily.

Post a reply if you think this is something you are interested in. If we have enough here and I'll build a sub forum and start posting enough details so that character generation can start.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Re: Interest level in a DD PBP?

mgtremaine wrote:Long ago I posted a small sandbox on the ODD74 boards for self contained campaign set on the very edge of my world. The feeling is meant to be Earthsea meets Shattered World. It's a Dark Age mentality, very small populations, very insular in their struggles to survive in a unpredictable world.
Mike, was this played at any point or did you just post ideas for the style of game? Can you link to it for further reading on the setting?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:48 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
mgtremaine wrote:Long ago I posted a small sandbox on the ODD74 boards for self contained campaign set on the very edge of my world. The feeling is meant to be Earthsea meets Shattered World. It's a Dark Age mentality, very small populations, very insular in their struggles to survive in a unpredictable world.
Mike, was this played at any point or did you just post ideas for the style of game? Can you link to it for further reading on the setting?
Never mind. My search-fu is good.

http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/8128/ ... estern-sea
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Yep that's the one. Not much there besides the maps, population levels, and a few scrapes of legends to give the feel of the place. As with most of my world building once I start thinking about it I usually plod along adding to it and playing in my mind. I think it has all moving parts of a good game.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Interest in The Edge of the Western Sea PBP?

Hey Mike, sounds interesting and it's great to see some interest in the DD rules :)

Alas I'm fully committed getting those v3 rules out at the moment, so I'll just watch this one. The next (and hopefully final) iteration of the DD v3 text will be available for download pretty soon, and I'm hoping to get an HTML version of it on line too.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:52 pm

waysoftheearth wrote: Alas I'm fully committed getting those v3 rules out at the moment, so I'll just watch this one. The next (and hopefully final) iteration of the DD v3 text will be available for download pretty soon, and I'm hoping to get an HTML version of it on line too.
yay! we need those. I keep opening the text file and or grabbing on my v2 LWB... You know after the fact I find I use my 3 LWB more then the 5 LWB from the box set. The artwork and layout that John did is great but it's just many books. I'll have to see how I feel about a single hardback over the "3". :)

-Mike

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:59 am

Well... I'm in.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 am

mgtremaine wrote:You know after the fact I find I use my 3 LWB more then the 5 LWB from the box set.
Yeah, I find the three booklet format extremely handy too. I love that I can just hand out Vol 1 to the players and that's all they need. It works a treat.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by doctorx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:58 pm

I like the look of this very much. I'd be interested in playing if you'll have me. :)

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 pm

That's 2 takers.. I think 4 and we can start the ball rolling. I'll give a few days and cast a wider net at the odd74 boards.

-Mike

Return to “New PBP Games”