(007) The First Night


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 am

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
The first expedition returns at last from the Mines of Moria.

They are a grim sight, for they bear with them the bodies of Barald of Mirkwood and Beranger of the North, both fallen in battle with the Orcs. And also Eohild of Rohan and Norin the Dwarf are too weak to walk, and are all but carried from the Mines, for their wounds were by poisoned Orc blades, and their need now is dire.

Outside, they find the camp swelled by an additional five Dwarfs, only recently arrived. All told, the following are now present...


Emerging from the Mines:
Legandir and Elindir, the Half-Elves,
Lomeluin and Telthalion, the Elves,
Norin, Burmon, Sili, and Hepti, the Dwarves,
Soval, Eohild, Nat, Eremin, and Arbenbard, all Men,
Baraglin and Largo the shirefolk,
with the bodies of Beranger and Barlad,

Already at the Camp:
Celglin, and Elvish Seer of Rivendell,
Vestri the torch bearer and Miodvitnir the animal handler, Dwarves in Sili's employ,
Ymir, Norin's Dwarf physician,
Hallam, Einar, Ran and Sutherland (Fighting Men in Soval's mercenary company),
Dernfara of Westfold,
Dalain and Balain, brothers (Man and boy) of Dale in Celglin's employ,
Hrok, son of Brok, the Dwarf,
Oin of Ironload, a Dwarf,
Glorban, Yori, Ugrik, all Dwarves in the employ of Oin,

Frewine of Rohan (Lomeluin's groom) and Rohemnet (his horse),
Deorwyn of Westfold, and Gleowine the rouncy; Eohild's groom and mare,
Alf the guard dog and Frosti the mule, Sili's beasts,
Fumbul, Hepti's mule,
Tug, Vestri's mule,
Ned, Soval's pack mule,
Deor, Dernfara's courser,
Piglet, Eremin's horse,
Ladybird, Baraglin's mule,
Doloris the nag, Largo's pony.

And also the body of Grim the Dunderling.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:47 pm

(007) The First Night

mushgnome wrote:
Alf the loyal guard dog rushes to greet SIli, but he lets out a low growl at the foul smell rising from Norin's wound.

"Surgeon, hurry, for your Master has need of your leechcraft!" calls Sili to Ymir.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:07 pm

(007) The First Night

sulldawga wrote:
"My goodness, what a day it's been!" exclaims Largo. He looks at the fire and then back to his boon companion.

"Master Banks, I should very much like a pot of tea. What do you say to that?"
(/color)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:19 pm

(007) The First Night

doctorx wrote:
"Hot water! Quickly!" Lmluin calls as he comes hastening out of the darkness of Hollin Gate. He tells the bearers to lay Eohild and Norin close to the fire where they can be best protected against the night's chill and he can have the best light to work by.

"Gorfang," he says quietly to Ymir as the Dwarf physician stumps across to the wounded Norin. He stands ready to assist Yimr should he require it, but if the Dwarf looks to have matters in hand he will concentrate his skills on Eohild.

As soon as the water has been brought he adds a number of strange herbs he takes from a leaf-wrapped package stowed in his backpack. After a few minutes he washes Eohild's wounds with the now-aromatic water and binds them with some of the freshest leaves from his collection. He then places his hand on her forehead, closes his eyes and sings a few words softly in Sindarin. After a while he removes his hand and looks down on the Shield Maiden with a weary smile.

"Rest now, Lady of Rohan. Let no shadow trouble your dreams."

If all is well with Norin, he will then turn his attention to the other wounded members of the Company; "Come now, my masters - your hurts, while not as grim, are sore enough, but I have the mastery of them, fear not."

He even finds time to murmur a few soft words to Alf in Nandorin: "Fear not, brother. The darkness you scent departs."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote:"My goodness, what a day it's been!" exclaims Largo. He looks at the fire and then back to his boon companion.

"Master Banks, I should very much like a pot of tea. What do you say to that?"
(/color)(/quote)

"That, my good Hobbit, is a most sensible idea," replies Baraglin Banks, "I am run quite ragged by these long legged Elves. Up and down goodness knows how many stairs; Trolls; Orcs. Goodness me, if I were to mention even half it there's not a soul in the Shire who'd believe me!".

Unfortunately for the pair of Hobbits, there is only one small fire to the whole of the camp site for lack of any good fuel; and that has been commandeered by Lomeluin and Ymir as they tend to poor Eohild and Norin...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:02 pm

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ymir comes swiftly to Norin's aid as Lomeluin attends to Eohild's hurt.

"Gorfang, eh?" he mutters into his beard, and then instructs Sili to "Get this armour off him!" while he crushes healing leaves and adds them to a clay bowl of steaming hot water. When this is done Ymir washes Norin's wounds and then prepares a salve of rare earths which he applies while uttering some incantation of the oldest Dwarf-speak.

Eventually, his work is done, and Norin sleeps.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:30 pm

(007) The First Night

ehiker133 wrote:
"Zzzzzzz..."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:33 pm

(007) The First Night

mushgnome wrote:
Sili welcomes the new arrivals to camp and updates them on the tactical situation. "...orcs, trolls, and so on. We have great need of your abilities."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:32 pm

(007) The First Night

sulldawga wrote:
Largo circles the small fire, trying and failing to stifle a yawn while he looks for an opportunity to heat some water. Soon enough, he gives it up.

"Perhaps a bit of shut-eye would suit me better," he says to Baraglin. "We'll let the tall-folk tend to the wounded and have our tea on the morrow."

The hobbit will look for a quiet spot within the camp to settle down for a spell.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 pm

(007) The First Night

waysoftheearth wrote:
There is little fuel to be spared to build up the fire, and so it remains a forlorn little light under the descending curtain of night. When darkness comes it is accompanied by a swift and bitter-chill wind.

All at the camp site are thankful that their end of the valley is sheltered from the worst of it, but there is no denying it will be a cold evening. Everyone huddles as near as they may with their blankets drawn tight over their shoulders.

A meager meal of trail rations is made, and at last hot water is passed around for drinking (much to the pleasure of the Hobbits). The Dwarves also share their wooden tankards of beer and get to discussing lore, old foes, and stratagems against them like old friends in a tavern room.

Their enthusiasm seems undaunted by the losses suffered on the first trip into the Mines...

What watch, if any, will be set for this first night?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software