(006) Farther and Deeper...


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

calithena wrote:
Soval will press the attack, crying out in anguish for his fallen comrades.

Any stragglers he will cut down, but once the orcs are fully fled, he will turn to the fallen and see if he might help bind their wounds, or at least hold his lantern for someone more knowledgeable to help them.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:36 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard: "Nat! Return to my side."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:52 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

mushgnome wrote:
"Take that, you warty snot-chewers!" shouts Sili. He continues to smash orcs until there are none left to smash.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
While the rear-most Orcs make good their escape, the fighting around the mine car continues. Initiative is rolled (1d6; Lomeluin=5, Largo=3+1, Eremin=6+1, Eohild=3, Soval=5,2, Orcs=5).

Eremin twists around and springs at the Orc who has just slain Barald, driving at it with his dagger point (1d20=12), quick as a cat, and puncturing it for (1dd=4) 4 hit points. The Orc recoils with a horrible squeal, but it is not slain yet, oh no.

The the Orcs remaining in the fight strike a barrage of blows (simultaneously with Soval and Lomeluin) hacking and beating (4d20; vs Eremin=18, vs Eohild=17, vs Soval=13, vs Largo=12). Eremin and Eohild are each struck by a grim mace and cleaver for (2dd; Eremin=5,6, Eohild=5,3) 6 and 5 hit points, respectively, while Soval fends off the blows efficiently, and Largo is saved by his shirt of light Elvish mail.

(Eremin has 6 of 12 hit points remaining, Eohild 4 of 14 hit points).

At the same moment both Soval and Lomeluin riposte (2d20=8,18) and Man and Elf both slash open wound upon their targets, dealing (Soval 2dd=6,3) 9 hit points and (Lomeluin 2dd=3,4) 5 hit points, damage, cutting the pair of Orcs down with ruthless efficiency.

Only a moment later do Largo's, Eohild's and Soval's (second) attacks fall (3d20=5,19,6). Largo and Soval find themselves out of reach of any genuine opportunities, but Eohild slashes fiercely back at her nemesis wounding the great Orc for (2dd=1,6) 8 hit points, but even this savage blow does not fell it!

Then at the last Norin and Sili smash their way through the melee (1d20; Norin=13, Sili=16,16) and the last pair of Orcs learn to their cost how the Dwarves do the business fighting. Norin (3dd=1,6,5) crushes Eohild's foe beneath his hammer, splitting its helm and loathsome head for 8 hit points, and Norin (2dd=3,4 and 2,5) kills Eremin's Orc with two concussive flail blows for 7 and 8 hit points.

The Orcs are vanquished!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
Or are they?

As this unfolds Baraglin Banks faces an Orc twice his own size in the Troll den!

Initiative is rolled (1d6; Baraglin=5+1, Orc=3).

Baraglin is grown bold by necessity (1d20=13) and plunges his short sword into the Orc's chest, wounding it for a third time (2dd=6,1) for 6 hit points. The Orc struggles weakly for a moment, trying to pull the blade out of its black heart, but Baraglin holds it firmly there for a moment before yanking it suddenly free. And the Orc collapses in front of him.

"Well I never!" remarks the Hobbit to himself, sheathing his sword briskly so that he can dab the perspiration from his forehead with a handkerchief.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
The breathless and wounded company members stand surrounded by cloven Orc carcasses, while the half dozen or so fleeing Orcs are just now vanishing from sight around the corner as they escape into the West Hall.


Barald and Beranger lie slain among the enemy, and Norin, Soval, Eohild, Eremin, Nat, and Baraglin have suffered grievous hurts. And beneath the stink of of Troll and Orc there lurks another scent...


What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:10 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

calithena wrote:
"We should move from here - quickly. Either back to the surface or farther ahead," says Soval. "These armies of darkness will bring us down eventually in a pitched battle.

"Have we a goal ahead? Or can we return to our comrades?"

(OOC: I am a little confused about the map - maybe Soval knows if we are cut off or not, but I don't - maybe another PC can set me straight? What are our options from here? Did the orcs get us from behind, or is there another way back?)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:46 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Orcs did indeed come from behind.

The scratch map Soval has in mind is something like this:


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@########################################@@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................####@@
@@@@@@........................................((up@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................###@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................#@@@@
@@@@@@@#..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..#@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................#@@@
########......................................###@@@
down)))).<--.To Hollin........................((down@
########.......Gate...........................###@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................#@@@
@@@@@@@#..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..O..#@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@#......................................######################/##########
@@@@@@......................................<-XX....$..88888.....$............$
@@@@@@@#......................................#########/############/##########
@@@@@@@########################################@@@@@@#...#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#...#@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#.#@@<--Troll den
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@###@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

888 Company
XX Fleeing Orcs
$ Dwarf beacon
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:22 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

mushgnome wrote:
"Well done!" booms Sili, "but maybe it's time to return to camp?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16480

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:01 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

ehiker133 wrote:
With the adrenaline of battle wearing off, Norin starts to feel the pain of the wound he took.

"Aye, it might be a good time to get back to camp and regroup and tend our wounded... and our dead. But first..."

Norin's wound isn't grievous enough to prevent him from searching the bodies of the dead orcs for any valuables.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software