(006) Farther and Deeper...


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:12 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
Anxious eyes keep watch on the passages afore and behind, while Sili the Dwarf moves closer to the door on the left hand side of the passage so that he might peer within, while Lomeluin the Elf stands vigilant nearby, an arrow ready on his bowstring.

(1d6)

As Sili comes within a pace of the door near he notes -- with some satisfaction -- a row of different flags upon the dusty floor right before the pair of doors. With another step he would have put his boot upon these stones, but he pauses not a moment too soon.

While the main passage has been paved with great, smooth 3ft square flags evenly arrayed, right here before the doors there seem to be a single row of 9in square flags neatly spanning the width of the passage in a single row...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:15 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, up back, Barald has worked perhaps half a flask of oil into the mine cart's axles. It does seem to have eased the grotesque squealing somewhat... but that is not to say the cart is even remotely quiet. It still rattles and rumbles like an empty mine cart.

(1d6)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:05 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

heartless wrote:
calithena wrote:"Hear now, Arbenbard, 'tis no way to speak to a lady." Soval moves to Eohild's side, seeing if she can make her contraption work or if she might need help exiting it. He keeps at the ready in the meantime, in the event that battle is joined.


"Thank you Soval for your support. Now we have a mine cart to use when required. Sorry about the initial excess of noise. I hope our efforts will be rewarded. We can move it with us, once we are sure the ahead is clear", says Lady ‰ohild.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

ehiker133 wrote:
Noting his hesitancy, Norin asks, "What is it, Sili?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:10 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

mushgnome wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Noting his hesitancy, Norin asks, "What is it, Sili?"


"I think its a trap..." whispers Sili (the whispering perhaps unnecessary) "Should we try to set it off from a safe distance?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm

(006) Farther and Deeper...

doctorx wrote:
"Hold a moment," Lmluin says quietly, stepping forward; "Perhaps our friend here can tell us a tale..."

He kneels down to examine the corpse in the doorway, although he is careful to avoid the flagstones Sili located and tries to avoid being framed in the doorway as a target.

Can he tell anything about the body, and in particular, how it met its end?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:56 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
Lomeluin carefully steps over the flags indicated by Sili, and moves closer to examine the body in the ruined doorway.

Upon nearer inspection it was apparently an Orc. It must have been slain some years ago, for the flesh is horribly withered and dried. It wore a carapace of crude mail over leather, and these are punctured right through the chest by a great hole, some 3" wide. Whatever weapon laid this wound is nowhere to be seen.

Interestingly, the edge of the gaping wound is not flared as it might be if something burst out of its chest. Rather, it looks more as though something were pushed through the corpse, from front to back. But it lies now flat upon its back...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:03 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, at the mine cart end of the passage, Eremin is keeping a nervous ear out for any noise that might not be made by the company. The Heavens know they are making enough of their own.

What is that? A flap of foot upon stone, perhaps? The distant echo of a pebble clinking upon a stair? Or just some unknowable movement in the deep? No... that is a more regular shunk of foot falls surely?

Eremin has a bad feeling knotting in the pit of his gut, and his hand goes without thought to the hilt of his Hollander made short sword as he strains to hear what is going on in the dark. Curse these loud mouthed fighting Men, anyone would think they were calling for order among a busy meeting of the Shire Councillors in the Great Hall of Bree!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:07 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
You are here:


@@#@@@@@
@@#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@##################################################/############@@
@.....................E......................g.....l...........@@@@
@-------------X--B()ab-S-A-N-----------X----t--h--s-------------X@@
@..................O....R..................e..u..n.............@@@@
@@################.#################################=############@@
@@#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@#.#@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@#@@@@@
.N.
W+E
.S.

X Suspended Dwarf beacon
() Mine car
--- Track

A Ardenbard a Largo
B Barald... b Baraglin*
E Eremin... e Elindir
G ......... g Legandir
H ......... h Hepti*
L Dalain... l Lomeluin
N Nat...... n Norin
O Eohild... o
R Beranger. r
S Soval*... s Sili
T ......... t Telthalion
U ......... u Burmon*

* Carrying torch or lantern
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16412

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:15 am

(006) Farther and Deeper...

waysoftheearth wrote:
Surprise is rolled (1d6=5).

Eremin and the pair of Hobbits see them coming in time, but everyone else is busily engaged.

The swift, dark shadows lope up from the shadowy passage behind the company. There is a suddenly clatter as rough blades are freed from sheaths, and the creak of wood and sinew as bows are bent. Most of all there comes the pounding of feet and a hungry hissing and laughter as they come.

It's the Orcs! Lots of them.


What does Eremin intend? Everyone else (excepting Baraglin Banks and Largo Harfoot) at the west end of the passage is surprised. Those at the east end of the passage are unaware anything is afoot.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software