(003) Durin's Way


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 28, 2011 6:33 am

(003) Durin's Way

waysoftheearth wrote:
Sili and Norin, heroes among the Dwarves, pass from the light under the West Gate and into the Halls of their Mighty Forefathers -- perhaps they are the first of the Dwarves to tread here since Balin's ill-fated foray almost three hundred years gone?

Behind them come the light footfalls of Lmluin of East Lorien and Elindir the Half-Elven of Rivendell. 'Tis a strange party indeed, but these Halls have witnessed many strange things.

Within, Moria is all quiet. And dark.

The sunlight that spills over the valley beyond Hollin Gate seems aught but a subdued glow, and any sound of the outside world is sharply attenuated. The crunching of dust and rubble beneath the Dwarfs' boots is the loudest sound they hear, any of them.

Ahead of them, a great broad stair rises up, up and up into the greater dark. The stair is littered with rubble and dust, and no few bodies of the long fallen can be spied upon the road ahead. To be thankful, there is no movement nor sound to be seen or heard in the darkness.

"Durin's Way," whispers Norin reverently in Khuzdul.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 28, 2011 1:57 pm

(003) Durin's Way

mushgnome wrote:
Sili feels brave in this tunnel carved by Dwarves for Dwarves. Whatever evil works within can be restored by Dwarves, and the treasure this Dwarf's to claim!

He mounts the stairs and pauses to examine the bodies along the path. Are they his people?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 28, 2011 6:53 pm

(003) Durin's Way

doctorx wrote:
Lmluin follows close behind the dwarves, arrow notched on his bowstring, his elvish senses alert for any trace of secret doors or passages as they move towards the stairs.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:02 am

(003) Durin's Way

waysoftheearth wrote:
The two Dwarves lead the way up the broad stair. The depth and rise of the steps are comfortably set for their legs, but less so for the Elves who follow after.

Sili kneels to examine one or two of the ancient corpses they pass. These are, skeletal husks of fighters long fallen. Dust and cobwebs choke the gaps between withered bones and broken armour. Some few are the remains of Dwarves, but more are of foul Orcs.

The scouts climb perhaps 40 steps, so that the sunshine is but a small, distant square long behind them. Ahead the darkness grows thicker so that even a Dwarf may not go on without risk of tripping in the gloom. The stair seems to rise ever upward into the gloom...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:54 am

(003) Durin's Way

ehiker133 wrote:
Norin grunts.

"Looks like we're going to need a light source to go any further."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 29, 2011 3:52 am

(003) Durin's Way

waysoftheearth wrote:
'Tis fortunate, then, that Sili the Dwarf has with him torches and a tinderbox with which to strike a flame...


Here is what each of the scouts has with him:

Sili(Dwarf F4, AC1/4, HD 4+5, hp 20/20, Load 14/15) :
Clothing, Rackpack (1), Bedroll (1), Purse {1sp}, Waterskin {2 quarts} (1), Trail rations {1 day}, Erebor mail (4), Erebor shield, large (2), Erebor helm (1), Erebor flail (1), Erebor crossbow (1), boltcase (1), bolts {20}, torches {6} (1), tinderbox.

Norin(Dwarf F3, AC2/4, HD 3+2, hp 14/14, Load 11/17) :
Clothing, Backpack (1), Bedroll (1), Purse {6sp 6cp}, Waterskin {2 quarts} (1), Waterskin {2 quarts} (1), Trail rations {2 days}, Erebor mail (4), Erebor helm (1), Erebor warhammer (2), Erebor dagger.

Lomeluin(Elf B4, AC4/6, HD 3+3, hp 12/12, Load 9/7) :
Clothing, Backpack (1), Bedroll (1), Purse {13sp}, Waterskin {2 quarts} (1), Lembas {2 days}, Elvish mail (2), Galadhrim longbow (1), Lorien shoulder case, arrows {20} (1), "Andune" Elvish sword (1), Lorien small shield (1), Dagger, Belt pouch, Healer's herbs {12 uses}, Tinderbox, Bowstring, Bowstring.

Elindir(Elf B3, AC3/6, HD 3+1, hp 10/10, Load 10/11) :
Clothing, Backpack (1), Bedroll (1), Purse {}, Waterskin {2 quarts} (1), Trail rations {2 days}, Elvish mail (2), Elvish shield, large (2), Elvish sword (1), Elvish longbow (1), Belt quiver (1), arrows {20}, Healer's herbs {6 uses}.

Legandir(Elf R3, AC3/6, HD 3+2, hp 13/13, Load 12/14) :
Clothing, Backpack (1), Bedroll (1), Purse {103sp}, Waterskin {2 quarts} (1), Lembas {2 days}, Great cloak, Elvish mail (2), Rivendell longbow (1), "Morfil" the Noldor sword (1), Rivendell small shield (2), Shoulder case, Shoulder case, arrows {20} (1), arrows {20} (1), Belt pouch, 60ft silk rope (1), Healer's herbs {6 uses}, Tinderbox, Bowstring, Bowstring.


The clomping boots and rattling mail of the Dwarves is by no means stealthy, which is a constant irritation to the Elves present.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:27 pm

(003) Durin's Way

mushgnome wrote:
Sili lights a torch and leads the way, being careful not to step on any of the honorable ancient Dwarf-corpses.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:37 pm

(003) Durin's Way

waysoftheearth wrote:
Sili is a deft hand with spark and tinder, and soon has one of his torches sputtering with an orange flame and held aloft.

By this new light does the party see that the way rises up and up and up ahead. There are fewer ruined bodies as they pass now, for it seems most of the slain fell at the gate, below, or else slid or were dragged some way down the stair.

It is a tiresome climb that take some minutes... more than 100 broad steps Norin counted before giving up. And still they climb. The West Gate seems a tiny thing now, farther even than the moon on a cloudy, winter night.


(Sili has the torch in one hand now, what does he grasp in the other; shield, flail or crossbow?)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon May 30, 2011 4:25 pm

(003) Durin's Way

mushgnome wrote:
"How far should we go on this first delve?" whispers Sili.

waysoftheearth wrote:(Sili has the torch in one hand now, what does he grasp in the other; shield, flail or crossbow?)


A difficult decision but if possible to carry and shoot a loaded crossbow with 1 hand, he will do so. Else the flail.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16315

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 pm

(003) Durin's Way

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"How far should we go on this first delve?" whispers Sili.

waysoftheearth wrote:(Sili has the torch in one hand now, what does he grasp in the other; shield, flail or crossbow?)


A difficult decision but if possible to carry and shoot a loaded crossbow with 1 hand, he will do so. Else the flail.


A loaded crossbow then.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software