(002) Hollin Gate


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
The hirelings begin doubtfully to ease the loads on the pack animals and to pace out a likely spot among the trees whereto make a camp.

The sun is almost directly overhead, but already it has begun looking toward the east.

Sili and Norin investigate the source of the Gate Stream, and find that is sprung from many babbling pores in the ancient rock and comes cascading down the side of the Silvertine into the little valley. There is no road ahead for any but the most intrepid mountaineer.

Meanwhile Legandir examines the dark entrance into the mountain side that is embraced between the ancient rock falls. To either side a mighty, flat stone slab seems to be trapped between the mountain side and the rubble... as though they were once great doors...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 am

(002) Hollin Gate

heartless wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:
calithena wrote:While we wait for all the scouts to return, Soval will eye the land for the most defensible large camp area, or suggestions thereof, in the event that we indeed make it.


Ardenbard's advice is not without merit, Soval judges. Camping within the trees would -- at the very least -- keep the animals away from the dangerous precipice. And, he concedes, the trees might also be made to provide some measure of cover against detection.

A rude fortification might also be established by the placement of certain rocks between certain trees, if one were prepared to work at such an endeavor. Or so might think a fighting Man...

crusssdaddy wrote:Arbenbard awaits tidings from the scouts, with Nat at his side, among the holly trees in the NW corner.

‰ohild walks up to Arbenbard and greets him, "It's a nice day. My name is Lady ‰ohild of Rohan. I fear the night will not be as safe. I agree with you to set up a camp within the trees. Our hireling can guard our horses and supplies while we venture on from this base camp. Let us help Soval find the most suitable place to defend. I suggest we barricade up between the trees with wood and rocks, and make a stockade for the animals where we can tie them up."

"Come on Barald and Gleowine, we have work to do", as ‰ohild gestures to her hireling for help.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 12:29 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

doctorx wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Meanwhile Legandir examines the dark entrance into the mountain side that is embraced between the ancient rock falls. To either side a mighty, flat stone slab seems to be trapped between the mountain side and the rubble... as though they were once great doors...


"The doors stand open, it seems," Lomeluin says quietly. He stares into the darkness beyond, a pale gleam flickering in his eyes...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 1:40 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

mushgnome wrote:
Sili is most interested in the dark gate! He takes cover just inside short range of his crossbow (around 8" if I'm not mistaken) and watches the opening.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 1:59 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

ehiker133 wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Sili and Norin investigate the source of the Gate Stream, and find that is sprung from many babbling pores in the ancient rock and comes cascading down the side of the Silvertine into the little valley. There is no road ahead for any but the most intrepid mountaineer.


Norin, too, heads towards the supposed entrance of the mines. Just before Sili stops and takes cover, Norin pauses mid-stride.

He squints his eyes (even more so than dwarven eyes already are) and scans the area around the opening. They stop on a small cluster of rocks and boulders - is that where great-grandfather Nar hid while Thrain went inside to take back what was his? That bit of discoloured earth in front of the entrance - is that where the king's head landed when it was tossed out? Of course it isn't - why would the earth still be stained after several hundred years?

He drops to one knee, placing his left hand on the ground. He squeezes it into a fist, taking up a handful of dirt in the process.

"Sili," Norin whispers roughly, "This is where our king died."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:41 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard: "Well met, Lady ‰ohild. 'Tis strange company we keep, eh? I would like to help make camp but for now I shall wait in the shelter of these quiet trees - yon Dwarfs appear reckless, impatient to test the Mines before the company is ready. I shall watch for a moment to see what results from their folly."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 3:56 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

mushgnome wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:"Sili," Norin whispers roughly, "This is where our king died."


Sili whispers: "Oh yes, I've read that story many times."

(OOC: he is illiterate...)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

ehiker133 wrote:
mushgnome wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:"Sili," Norin whispers roughly, "This is where our king died."


Sili whispers: "Oh yes, I've read that story many times."

(OOC: he is illiterate...)


OOC: LOL
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 9:51 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

tonneau wrote:
"The doors stand open, it seems," Lomeluin says quietly. He stares into the darkness beyond, a pale gleam flickering in his eyes...


"Indeed", says Legandir .
He kneels and begins to scan the ground around the entrance carefully, reading the plants and earth as others might a book.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 9:53 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

heartless wrote:
"I think a camp on the far side away from the dark entrance into the mountain side will be the safest place. Where the orc tracks do not travel. If no other suggestions lets make camp, for we have exploring to do?", says ‰ohild.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software