(002) Hollin Gate


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
Sili the Dwarf fords the cold, calf deep Gate Stream safely, then crosses to the eastern most wall of the valley -- where he scrambles somewhat up the flank of the mighty Silvertine, Mount Celebdil.

From here he surveys the lay of the little wind-sheltered valley is thus:



##############################################################
#############################`####################################
############|########``Y``````######################################
#########`Y`|`````Y````````Y```Y````###################################
######``Y``Y\```Y``````Y`````````Y````Y```Y```Y`````######################
###```Y``Y```---------.`Y``Y`````````````````````Y````S```##################
##Y`Y`````Y`Y````Y`````\----------.```Y``````Y````````````````#############
###``Y```Y`````````````Y`Y``````Y``\------.``````````````````````############
###`Y``Y`````Y```Y```Y```````Y`````````Y**`\``````````````````````##########
######```Y``Y```````Y```````Y````Y``````````\``````````````````````###########
###########``````Y````Y``````````````````````\``````````````````````##########
#############Y``````````Y````````````````**```|````````````````````############
#################````Y``````````*``****````````\``````````````##################
#####################`````Y``````````****``**```|````````%#####################
##########################`Y``````*```****``**``|`%%%%%%%\\\################
##########################%%%%%%%%`````````=%%%%\||||||||\\\\###############
# ########################////||||%%%%%%%%%=%`||`\`||`||||\\\\##############
`E #####################////```||||`/|||||`%=``||`\`\\\\\`\\\\#############
N+S ###################///////|||||/|||////`=`\\\\\`|``||||\\\\\\\########
`W ##################//||/|///||/|||||////`=`\\\||\\`||||\\\\\||`\#######

# Misty Moutains
% Precipice (overlooking Eregion)
= Gate Stair
\ Sirannon (The Gate Stream)
Y Holly trees
* Company members
S Sili
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
calithena wrote:While we wait for all the scouts to return, Soval will eye the land for the most defensible large camp area, or suggestions thereof, in the event that we indeed make it.


Ardenbard's advice is not without merit, Soval judges. Camping within the trees would -- at the very least -- keep the animals away from the dangerous precipice. And, he concedes, the trees might also be made to provide some measure of cover against detection.

A rude fortification might also be established by the placement of certain rocks between certain trees, if one were prepared to work at such an endeavor. Or so might think a fighting Man...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 1:35 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

mushgnome wrote:
Thanks for the map! Sili climbs back down and reports his findings to the party. Assuming I'm reading the map correctly...

"No sign of any Orcs, but they are usually most active after dark. It appears the only passage is a narrow ravine in the eastern rock face from whence flows the stream. Just to be sure we should make a complete circuit of this valley's perimiter. I suggest we post a pair of guards at the western stair and a pair at the eastern ravine at all times. Who will come with me and Alf to secure the eastern passage?"

Then Sili loads his crossbow and heads east.

Meanwhile Midvitnir unloads the mules and Hepti and Vestri lend their muscle to building a defensible campsite.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 2:18 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

ehiker133 wrote:
Norin asks Burmon to assist the others with whatever they need to set up camp. He tasks Ymir with going to the woods with the party of elves (or at least staying close behind them) to see if he can locate any food sources or medicinal supplies within. He advises him to stay with a group, though, and to not wander off alone.

Then he turns to Sili, "I will examine the eastern ravine with you, brother." With that, he hefts his war hammer over one shoulder and fords the stream.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 8:58 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

doctorx wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Norin asks Burmon to assist the others with whatever they need to set up camp. He tasks Ymir with going to the woods with the party of elves (or at least staying close behind them) to see if he can locate any food sources or medicinal supplies within. He advises him to stay with a group, though, and to not wander off alone.

Then he turns to Sili, "I will examine the eastern ravine with you, brother." With that, he hefts his war hammer over one shoulder and fords the stream.


Lmluin and Telthalion are happy to scout out the woods with Yimir. But the elf lord will keep a careful ear for any sound of trouble or of discovery of a way into the mines...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 9:57 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

tonneau wrote:
Legandir takes it upon himself to scout the woods with or without company. He crosses the stream and heads south-east with the aim or circling back around the canyon.
"I will return", he mutters.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

doctorx wrote:
tonneau wrote:Legandir takes it upon himself to scout the woods with or without company. He crosses the stream and heads south-east with the aim or circling back around the canyon.
"I will return", he mutters.


"Let us travel together," Lmluin says to Legandir.

Then to Ymir; "Follow on, Master Dwarf, if you've a wish to do so..."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
The scouting party soon make a circuit of the valley perimeter. The Holly trees are sparse and bear only a few, shrivelled remnants of the tiny fruits which they bore earlier in the season... those which have not been taken by birds, or other things.

It is clear from the absence of foot prints that whoever has passed through this valley recently did not dally at its wooded end. They passed north-east from the mountain stair directly up to the great flat face of the Silvertine to where there stands a stony ledge which is now broken by the passing of much time, and by the determined roots of several small Holly trees which now cling to it.

In the near center of this ledge is a great, dark opening which leads under the mountain. It is partly concealed from the summit of the stair by the Holly Trees, and also by a tall flat slat of stone over 10ft tall, which is partially buried by an ancient wedge of collapsed stones that have long ago been partially cleared...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 am

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard awaits tidings from the scouts, with Nat at his side, among the holly trees in the NW corner.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed May 25, 2011 6:28 am

(002) Hollin Gate

tombowings wrote:
Elindir remains silent, uncomfortable with the stout folk. They're here for the wrong reasons.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software