(002) Hollin Gate


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, Ardenbard and Celglin make a study of the top of the stair by which the company has ascended, and the surrounding rim of rocks.

The stair is very ancient, and thought by both the Seers to be part of the Old Dwarf Road. There are no discernible markings upon the steps now... but that they are still functional is a tribute to the craft by which they were made.

However, the remains of the dam, if that is what it indeed was, is a crude affair made most simply by tumbling down a great rock slide from either side of the mountain valley, and then blocking it up with mud and silt. This very same mud is what now forms the fertile topsoil of this sheltered mountain plateau. But if the dam were not breached so, then much of this valley would surely be flooded by the Sirannon...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 22, 2011 3:59 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

mushgnome wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Meanwhile Lomeluin, Sili and Nori have found among the booted foot prints bare footed marks -- with wide, clawfoot toes. "Orcs!" snarls Sili, and spits an expletive in Khuzdul.


Once he gets over the initial shock, Sili shrugs off the discovery. The presence of Orcs is not unexpected, and he has fought with their kind before. "Where's a burglar when you need one?" he mutters under his breath. Then he looks for a rocky crag or any other high point he can climb for a better view of the terrain.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 22, 2011 9:53 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

snorri wrote:
Hearing about a burglar, Mr. Baraglin Banks shakes head, with a comical move frome the feathered hat, and looks around where's the so-called burglar could be. Then, blushes guiltily and mutters: "Eeeh, would you speak about a scout, or some other honourable profession, Mr. Dwarf?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:Then he looks for a rocky crag or any other high point he can climb for a better view of the terrain.


Sili can see quite plainly that the high terrain is all around the grassy plateau, with the mighty mount Celebdil (under which Khazad-Dum resides) blotting out the sky to the east entirely. Perhaps if Sili were to scale an edge of the little valley he would command a better view?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon May 23, 2011 1:37 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

mushgnome wrote:
Sili will send Alf back to guard the mules and climb a little ways up the edge of the valley.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon May 23, 2011 2:05 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

doctorx wrote:
Once he is satisfied there is no immediate danger of ambush or attack, Lmluin returns to the main party, instructing Frewine to unburden Rohemnet and let the horse graze and drink. "We need to establish a camp," he says, "but those tracks trouble me. Men and yrch (he spits the word) travel through here regularly and in numbers. I fear it is only a matter of time and daylight before we have the 'pleasure' of their company."

To the dwarves; "Would elvish eyes be of aid in the search for the doors that are shut?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon May 23, 2011 3:07 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard: "We fear the trees, but perhaps within them is best for our camp. From such a vantage, ambush might be laid against the grim forces that traverse this valley."

"I fear discovery atop this rim more than I fear what might lurk in yonder trees, which look too wholesome to provide cover to the enemy. But 'tis not my chalk & quill to do the fighting, so others may have better advice."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 12:57 am

(002) Hollin Gate

calithena wrote:
Seeing that the others have well sprung into action, Soval nods with satisfaction. This is no conventional troop - but perhaps it is the beginning of something better.

He and his men ready their missile weapons and fan out in a central ring, covering the dwarves and elves as they scout the perimeter.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 1:09 am

(002) Hollin Gate

snorri wrote:
"Sure, a good old inn would fit better, but at least a camp would be a civilized way to have a quiet night here!", nods Mr. Baragalin Banks. "Do you really feel there's things just as ambush?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16508

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 am

(002) Hollin Gate

calithena wrote:
While we wait for all the scouts to return, Soval will eye the land for the most defensible large camp area, or suggestions thereof, in the event that we indeed make it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software