(002) Hollin Gate


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard goes to examine the rocks that flank the top of the stair. Choosing two of the largest that are most visible to anyone walking up to enter the valley, he scratches three Orcish glyphs on each:

"Danger"
"Sickness"
"Do not enter"


Returning to the camp, he reports to the others: "I have posted warnings in Orcish atop the stair... perhaps they shall buy us some time in the event of unwelcome visitors."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:52 am

(002) Hollin Gate

ragnorakk wrote:
"Lovely tune, Largo," says Celglin. "Many thanks!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
It has been almost half an hour now since the forward party vanished into the Underworld.

The basic camp has been established, and most of those outside are reclining beneath the Holly trees, chatting quietly amongst themselves, wondering how long they will have to wait for news.

Largo completed a melancholy verse about a long ago defeat, which has a few of the hirelings looking a bit nervous. The animals, too, seem a bit twitchy.

The afternoon begins to wane...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:53 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
Soval and his company of mercenary fighters continue to maintain a watch, spaced out evenly around the camp perimeter.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 am

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard sends Nat to the top of the stair, on the lookout for anything of note beneath the precipice.

"Perhaps we should have someone watch just inside the gate..."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:42 am

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard heads to the top of the stair to chat with Nat.

"Call if you need us!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:13 am

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
(OOC: The stair Arbenbard sent Nat to earlier was the stair into the valley, at the top of the precipice. He'd like to head over there to join him, in case anything dangerous comes out of Moria.)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:58 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ardenbard leaves the guarded perimeter of the camp to join his Man, who is standing watch at the top of the Fall Stair, overlooking the river valley of the Sirannon. It is an expansive view out over the lands of Eregion, where nothing untoward is to be seen moving across the crag-lands. But when daylight fails there may well be a different tale to tell.

"A view worth seeing, eh?" shrugs Nat, when he notes his master approaching. He thumbs the stubble on his jaw thoughtfully as he surveys the stair once more. "No Man nor Orc will come upon us unseen in the night by this road, at least." he remarks, though the tenor of his voice hints he may not be quite as self assured as he would like to seem...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:35 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
Soval is doing another circuit of the valley, more to keep his mind to a task than any real need for camp security -- the camp is just about as secure as it is going to get, he reckons.

As he passes by the eerie darkness of the Hollin Gate he hears a disturbing echo carry down... what is that? He's a Man who's heard more than his fair share of howling beast and clattering steel and he knows the sound o' fighting when its about. And by that racket it's assuredly about!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16313

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:31 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

calithena wrote:
Cursing, Soval shouts back to the group in his strongest voice.

"The advance party is under attack! TO ARMS!"

As soon as anyone nearby arrives (some of his henchmen scouting with him, perhaps?) he will station one or more at the entrance, preferably with spears or pole arms. "If you hear the battle cry," he says, "pour in. But we can't block the narrow tunnel, or we may get the poor sods killed on their retreat. So wait here and attack anything not man, elf, hobbit, or dwarf that comes out."

Then he takes one or two (PCs and/or his own henchmen) with him into the tunnel, to scout things out and join the fight.

IF there is no-one nearby and he gets no response, he will move cautiously into the tunnel, calling ahead. IF only one person shows up, he will send that person for help with the guard-the-tunnel-mouth instructions.

IF he encounters PCs fleeing on the path (looks like a couple of the elves are booking already) he will help them out and press forward right away, not worrying about the others, hoping to cover the wounded in their retreat. "How many are left?" "Are you allright?" "Cover the gate incase they break out after us!" type questions to the surviving PCs from below as they come.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software