(002) Hollin Gate


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 1:18 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
It is midday on the sixth day after departing Edhil.

(Five days of supplies have been consumed, but water has been readily available from the Sirannon, so your skins and barrels remain full.)

At last the mighty company of Men, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, and pack animals reach the top of the narrow, winding stair to stand upon a narrow lip of rock.

All present are weary from almost 40 leagues of hiking with much of it through difficult terrain, but looking behind the view out over Eregion is vast and breath-taking! Edhil appears a tiny beetle upon a vast, golden quilt that are the realms west of the Misty Mountains.


Ahead, there is a strangely verdant valley, sheltered on three sides by the ever rising mountains, from where the stairs climb no more.

The Sirannon is a fast flowing stream running through the middle of this gully, then rushing through a dozen yard wide gash in the ledge wall to run out over the precipice, spilling madly down the enormous ravine along side the arduous stair.

The ledge itself might have once been the brim of a dam, for once you have ascended to the stair top, you need then to descend a half dozen yards or so down to a muddy, rocky floor, which is unexpectedly lush with silt, grass and sedges along side the gate stream.

Farther up the gully, there are growing many supple, twisting trees -- only twice the height of a Man, but enough to almost fill this small valley and obscure the mountain face ahead...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 1:21 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
(Gentlemen, the game is now afoot. What will you do from here?)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 2:01 am

(002) Hollin Gate

mushgnome wrote:
Midvitnir the Dwarf animal handler: "This seems a good place to rest and pasture the animals."

Sli the Dwarf Hero replies: "Aye, we need a base camp for our assault on the Gate, and this site has commanding defense of the western path. But the day is young and I am not yet weary. Watch Frosti for me while I climb a bit further for a better view of the terrain. Hepti, Vestri, gather some large rocks we can tumble down the stairs if we are followed by Orcs." He instinctively places a hand on Alf's hackles to feel if the keen-sensed guard dog is agitated.

Sli to the party: "I suggest the warriors among us fan out and explore this gully. I will search the rocky walls for hidden doors, caves, or paths... for those trees ahead are not to my liking. Stay within earshot of each other!"

(OOC: Should we keep track of provisions on our character sheet, or are you keeping track for us all?)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 3:05 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:(OOC: Should we keep track of provisions on our character sheet, or are you keeping track for us all?)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 3:15 am

(002) Hollin Gate

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard examines the rock walls at the top of the stairs, looking for any signs of writing, sculpture, stonework, etc. Nat follows close at hand, ever watchful.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 6:27 am

(002) Hollin Gate

ehiker133 wrote:
mushgnome wrote:
Sli to the party: "I suggest the warriors among us fan out and explore this gully. I will search the rocky walls for hidden doors, caves, or paths... for those trees ahead are not to my liking. Stay within earshot of each other!"


Norin nods at Sili's suggestion and replies, "I'll help you examine the rocky wall, Sili." He slings his war hammer over one shoulder and starts to follow him, but abruptly stops.

He turns to his companions and says, "Burmon, help get camp set up. Ymir, tend to any travel injuries we might have in the party. A show of good faith here would do us well."

Then he continues behind Sili.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 6:20 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

ragnorakk wrote:
Celglin will contribute to the search of the general environment along with the mannish sage and company, looking also for signs of recent use or activity.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat May 21, 2011 9:37 pm

(002) Hollin Gate

doctorx wrote:
Lmluin, accompanied by Telthalion and anyone else who wishes to accompany him, will move cautiously towards the trees. Can he tell what kind they are and how long they've been growing here? Any sight or sound of wildlife in the general vicinity?

He keeps a keen elvish eye out for any sign of movement or ambush...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:04 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
The sheltered plateau is approximately 100 yards wide and four times as long, without pacing it out. It runs lengthwise in a more-or-less north to south direction. It is surrounded on all sides by sheer mountain faces -- except to its south west.

Holly trees fill much of the northern end, but are sparser toward the middle, and absent entirely at the southern end. The Sirannon enter the plateau from the north, and spills out through the broken dam at the south-west edge of the plateau, then tumbles away toward the west and Eregion.


The bulk of the company move somewhat suspiciously into the south-west part of the plateau -- away from the precipice and toward the grassy valley, but not straying too near the trees.

The hirelings lead the exhausted mules and horses (not accustomed to climbing) to the flushing stream and the grassy banks, where they eagerly drink and begin to graze. The animals would certainly appreciate being unloaded of their burdens!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16129

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 am

(002) Hollin Gate

waysoftheearth wrote:
A small party comprising Sili the Dwarf Captain with his hound on a thick leash, Nori son of Nain, Lmluin and Telthalion (the Elves) then proceed ahead of the main company, examining the earth around the trees, the trees themselves, and then the vast mountain walls that bound the entire valley.

Lomeluin first spots the tracks, but soon all four are aware that the muddy ground around the stream is rife with many boot prints going hither and thither.

"These saplings are the Holly trees of Eregion," remarks Telthalion, placing his palm upon one of the trunks. The greatest of them is no thicker than a Man's thigh. "They cannot have grown here more than two score years, at most!"

Meanwhile Lomeluin, Sili and Nori have found among the booted foot prints bare footed marks -- with wide, clawfoot toes. "Orcs!" snarls Sili, and spits an expletive in Khuzdul.

"And none too few of them," adds Lumeluin.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software