Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am

Out Of Character

heartless wrote:
For the love of Man and Elves and Hobbits and Dwarfs! What a battle, it even more scarey for ‰ohild who can't move from her injuries from the last battle. Lying helpless! Come on kill the orcs... [img]images/smiley/angry.png[/img]

After the battle we should think about how to fortify the camp better for next time.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:53 am

Out Of Character

waysoftheearth wrote:
What a battle indeed!

When it is resolved I will share a few of the meta-gaming details with the survivors [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:44 am

Out Of Character

rleduc wrote:
After round 7, how many still stand? You said a half dozen orcs, but were there not 10 at round 6, with three slain? Perhaps you were speaking in round figures. And how many now stand against them? Can we see how things stand any more clearly now? Hrok may only have 1 more round left in him (if that), and may need to think about other options, like whether he can disengage and find another shield.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Out Of Character

waysoftheearth wrote:
rleduc wrote:After round 7, how many still stand? You said a half dozen orcs, but were there not 10 at round 6, with three slain? Perhaps you were speaking in round figures. And how many now stand against them? Can we see how things stand any more clearly now? Hrok may only have 1 more round left in him (if that), and may need to think about other options, like whether he can disengage and find another shield.
Yes, I am intentionally using vague numbers of Orcs, as it is a furious melee in the dark, and nobody has specifically stopped fighting to do a head-count.

However, it is clear now that victory is at hand. There are, perhaps, half a dozen enemy still in the fight, and most of these are sorely wounded. It will be sheer heroism if they continue to fight on with the odds stacked against them as they as.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:16 pm

Out Of Character

waysoftheearth wrote:
Also, once the fighting subsides, I will roll saving throws versus death for Eremin Sulk and Elindir Half-Elven to determine whether their injuries are fatal...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:58 am

Out Of Character

waysoftheearth wrote:
For those that are interested in a bit of meta-gaming information...

Our bold company of adventurers have just had a run in with a modestly sized lair of 80 Orcs. The 80 were rolled up fair and square according to Monsters & Treasure with 3d10 x10... it could easily have been so many more!

Only 20 of them were initially encountered inside the mines, but seeing as 6 survived that encounter and passed word back to the lair, a further 50 (the bulk of their strength) sought the company by night... and it was well for the company that they did not have any additional Ogres or Trolls to use.

Considering the situation, the company was rather blase about how they set up their camp... perhaps thinking the Orcs would not come?

However, come they did, and they won a surprise round too, which very nearly dispatched Soval before it had even begun (that would have been very bad).

Most of the company was disadvantaged by not wearing their regular armour, and many of them (the Men) were also penalised for fighting in the dark.

The Orcs initially had the greater numbers, but I (perhaps too generously?) randomised how many of them could come to blows in the first few rounds.

From there it was a slug-fest, with each side trading blow for blow, until at last the Orcs were beaten off.

By the time it was over, 36 Orcs were slain and the remaining 14 routed.

On the players' side, 2 PCs, 11 NPCs and a dog, a mule and a horse were slain.

In all, it were a rather brutal affair ~!

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Out Of Character

mgtremaine wrote:
Epic to say the least ways! I'm glad we mostly survived, it had the touch go excitement of a TPK in the making. Hopefully we have learned our lesson about base camp. Now we need to figure out how to recover...

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:58 am

Out Of Character

waysoftheearth wrote:
It seems likely that the company might (if they are wise) be looking to heal some of their hurts before pressing on. A return trip to Edhil, where additional strength can be gathered and further supplies secured, might be a good option.

Back in real life, some of you may know that I have taken on the (rather hefty) task of editing Delving Deeper. In order to see it done properly and in a timely fashion I'd like to take a break from Moria for a while.

The best option for everyone (including me) would be to slot in a replacement referee... so, if anybody reading this is keen to have a shot at ref'ing, I'll be happy to pass over the reins. Just let me know [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

If not, we'll have to take a hiatus until Delving Deeper is locked and loaded. In either case, I'll let everybody know what is happen with Moria shortly.

Thanks everyone for your participation so far -- it been awesome, and it was great to be able to play out that huge battle ;D

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Out Of Character

mgtremaine wrote:
Since I've invested in Delving Deeper I have to approve of this [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]....

I think a break is fine, I also think returning to Edhil is a great idea. That is what I was sort of hoping because my equipment is not good enough. (I'm looking with jealous eyes at Largo's Elven Chain). I think I'd rather have a break and wait for you Ways to come back then to have someone else step in just for continuity of vision. That's just my opinion.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Out Of Character

mushgnome wrote:
My vote is, let's take a break from the game. When Ways is done with the project then maybe we can flash-forward a few weeks: The survivors have returned to town, healed, purchased supplies, recruited new allies (replacing those slain), and returned to the gates of Moria.

The only flaw with this plan is that we haven't really found much treasure. [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]

Return to “Moria”