Requests to Join (Heroes in the Making)

Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Very good Sneakyhobbit [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Here are a few minor corrections to you PC sheet:

Your HD are 2+2 (2 HD as a 3rd level sneak, +2 hp for 12 constitution).

Your front AC is 4 due to Elvish (not Elven) chain(6), dex (-1), half your HD (-1).

Your rear AC is 6 (Elvish chain).

Your saving throw is 13.

Then you just need to add a suitable name for your pony and I'll roll your hp and insert you with the main group just before they enter the mines [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 28, 2011 5:25 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Sneakyhobbit, I have added Largo to the Fellowship thread, and posted your hit points in the Preparations thread.

Since the company has not entered the underworld yet, we can assume that Largo was with them when they left Edhil five days ago. You are free to post in game at your leisure... enjoy [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:34 am

theycallmebruce wrote:
Wow.. I can see that the party is already generously proportioned, and you've already begun your assault on Moria, but simply put this looks awesome and I'd love to join in [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Loving the maps, ASCII art, and organisation so far. Please let me know if there is room for another!

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:08 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
theycallmebruce wrote:Please let me know if there is room for another!
Welcome Theycallmebruce. The first rule of all my games is: there's always room for one more.

Here are some numbers for you to ponder...

XP: 2 + 2 + 6 = 10 (10,000 XP)
SP: 2 + 3 + 5 = 10 (1,000 silver pennies)
Str: 6 + 4 + 2 = 12
Int: 2 + 5 + 2 = 9
Wis: 5 + 4 + 3 = 12
Dex: 4 + 2 + 5 = 11
Con: 3 + 6 + 6 = 15
Cha: 6 + 1 + 2 = 9
sum: 88, average: 11.00

Follow the guidelines in the http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=5669Men & Magic thread, and post your ideas here so that I can help you work through the details of your new PC.

Enjoy [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 pm

gloriousbattle wrote:
Please let me join! I'd love to be a Dwarf who was obsessed with finding one of the Seven Dwarf-Lord Rings. Not that I'd expect him to find one, just be obsessed with finding one. I'd see this guy as a Thorin-like character, with just a little bit of Gollum, lurking at the edges... [img]images/smiley/shocked.png[/img]

If his stats are good enough (I know I can only be a dwarf if I qualify), he'll be a dwarf, and I'll modify with the automatic 6 to make him charismatic. If his stats are not good enough, I'll use his 6 to qualify him as a dwarf, if possible. Otherwise, I'll figure out a new character concept.

But, assuming I can be one...

Name: Hrok Son of Brok Thunder Tamer

Alignment: Fair (but edging toward Selfish, as above).

Class: Can I be a Fighter/Sneak? If not, a fighter will be fine.

Description: Hrok is not of Durin's folk, but a Blacklock.

The Blacklocks were one of the seven houses of the Dwarves that dwelt in the mountains of the East. J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "Of Dwarves and Men", pp. 301, 322 (note 24).

I see his people as one of those Houses that might have produced some of the wicked Dwarves who are said to have allied with the goblins in The Hobbit. Hrok is not one of those, and, in fact, his father won minor reknown in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs for holding off a goblin ambush in Eriador atop a barrow in the midst of a thunderstorm. His father perished, but allowed a whole company of dwarves to escape to safety.

However, the hand of Sauron always had a finger on his people, and many of them had used their power to make mighty enchanted weapons for evil purpose. Certainly, of all the seven houses of the Dwarves, the Blacklocks were the quickest to accept the Dwarven rings.

Hrok, himself, is proud and somewhat vain. He believes the Dwarves to have been the final perfection of Illuvatar's work, inspired through Aule. He would like to see Moria arise again as a great kingdom, and, though he is aligned to the side of light and would (so he thinks) never turn to the darkness, he definitely sees his own race as the greatest of the peoples of Middle Earth.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:03 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Welcome to the fray Gloriousbattle, great character concept [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Here are your rolls...

XP: 4 + 4 + 1 = 9 (9,000 XP)
SP: 2 + 6 + 1 = 9 (900 silver pennies)
Str: 1 + 6 + 5 = 12
Int: 6 + 2 + 5 = 13
Wis: 1 + 3 + 5 = 9
Dex: 6 + 1 + 6 = 13
Con: 3 + 1 + 1 = 5
Cha: 2 + 4 + 5 = 11
sum: 81, average: 10.12

You can replace any one die with a 6 as per the PC guidesline found in the http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=5669Men & Magic thread.

In order to make a Dwarf you will need to use your 6 to bump constitution up to 10.

There are no multi-classed PCs, but a Dwarf already has some Sneak-like abilities, so you could choose a fighter and then elect to only wear light armour and still be sneaky. Or, since there are already two Dwarf fighter PCs, you might elect the Sneak class and be done with it.

Given the background you describe, I see no reason not to choose the Selfish alignment. There are already a couple of other selfish PCs, so it won't matter too much. Put it this way; If one of the Dwarven rings of power were recovered, would Hrok a) keep it for himself (selfish), or b) returned it to the White Council of Gondor for safe keeping (good)?

Have a ponder and choose some equipment with your starting silver.

Then you can post a character sheet on the Character Sheets Thread. I'll help you out with the game statistics.

Enjoy [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:09 pm

gloriousbattle wrote:
Done!

Name: Hrok Son of Brok Thunder Tamer

Alignment: Selfish (but sees himself as Fair)

Class: Dwarf Fighter

XP: 9,000
SP: 900
Str: 12
Int: 13
Wis: 9
Dex: 13
Con: 11
Cha: 11

Description: Hrok is not of Durin's folk, but a Blacklock.

The Blacklocks were one of the seven houses of the Dwarves that dwelt in the mountains of the East. J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "Of Dwarves and Men", pp. 301, 322 (note 24).

I see his people as one of those Houses that might have produced some of the wicked Dwarves who are said to have allied with the goblins in The Hobbit. Hrok is not one of those, and, in fact, his father won minor reknown in the War of the Dwarves and Orcs for holding off a goblin ambush in Eriador atop a barrow in the midst of a thunderstorm. His father perished, but allowed a whole company of dwarves to escape to safety.

However, the hand of Sauron always had a finger on his people, and many of them had used their power to make mighty enchanted weapons for evil purpose. Certainly, of all the seven houses of the Dwarves, the Blacklocks were the quickest to accept the Dwarven rings.

Hrok, himself, is proud and somewhat vain. He believes the Dwarves to have been the final perfection of Illuvatar's work, inspired through Aule. He would like to see Moria arise again as a great kingdom, and, though he is aligned to the side of light and would (so he thinks) never turn to the darkness, he definitely sees his own race as the greatest of the peoples of Middle Earth.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Very nice Gloriousbattle.

With your 9,000 XP you will start out as a 3rd level fighter.

Now you will need to purchase some gear and/or hirelings. You have 900 silver pennies to play with.

The cost of gear is listed http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=5690here (being a Dwarf, however, you pay only 25% of the listed cost for Dwarf-made armour). All other goods will cost you 5x the list price if of Dwarf-make.

Number of hirelings allowed is detailed http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... ge=2#71658here. Yours will be Dwarves by default.

Choose some equipment, and then I'll help you with the game stats.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Welcome Bert,

These are your rolls:

XP: 1 + 1 + 4 = 6 (6,000 XP)
SP: 6 + 5 + 2 = 13 (1,300 silver pennies)
Str: 6 + 5 + 1 = 12
Int: 1 + 5 + 6 = 12
Wis: 1 + 3 + 4 = 8
Dex: 4 + 3 + 6 = 13
Con: 4 + 4 + 5 = 13
Cha: 2 + 1 + 2 = 5
sum: 82, average: 10.25

You can replace any one die with a 6.

Have a read of the Men & Magic thread, and then post your character concept and/or question here. I'm here to help [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Enjoy!

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:44 pm

bert wrote:
Oin of Ironload

Dwarf Sneak level 2
Alignment - Selfish

XP: 1 + 1 + 4 = 6 (6,000 XP)
SP: 6 + 5 + 2 = 13 (1,300 silver pennies)
Str: 6 + 5 + 1 = 12
Int: 1 + 5 + 6 = 12
Wis: 1 + 3 + 4 = 8
Dex: 4 + 6 + 6 = 16
Con: 4 + 4 + 5 = 13
Cha: 2 + 1 + 2 = 5

Underground senses, bonus AC for being a shortarse and bonus saves for being a dwarf and a sneak.

HP 8

A scurvy toerag of a dwarf who early discovered the delights of Rhovanion wines, then moved on the the Dalesmen's ale and uses his beautifully crafted dwarven harp to play ugly and bawdy songs in taverns. Left the east with pockets full of someone else's gold (a man's not a fellow dwarfs, he isn't daft enough to think he could have got away with that), came over the northern passes and down towards the new towns of Eregion. Hasn't really thought too hard about what he is going to do in these parts, but he knows the trail of broken elvish noses and aggrieved woodmen missing their silverware he has left behind him means that the way back home his closed to him for the moment.

Return to “Moria”