Dex: 5 + 4 + 3 = 12
Con: 5 + 1 + 5 = 11
Cha: 2 + 2 + 1 = 5

sum: 84, average: 10.50
Changing Dex to 15

To start:

.~-= Brombur, son of Bumbur, son of Bombur =-~. of of the Lonely Mountain

Story
A Middle Earth-worthy piece of back-story that reflects your race, origin and experience level. Bring it on!!

Biology : Dwarf Man
Alignment : Selfish

Class & Levels : Sneak 3
Experience Points : 7,000
XP Bonus : 0%
Hit Dice : 2d6
Hit Points : (ref will roll my hp)

Armour Class :
Saving Throw : 15

Abilities
STR : 14 (+1) (3 in 6)
INT : 13 (--) (3 in 6)
WIS : 11 (--) (2 in 6)
DEX : 15 (+1) (3 in 6)
CON : 11 (--) (2 in 6)
CHA : 5 (-1) (1/2 in 6; needs 10+ on 2d6)

Gear

Wealth
1100 silver pennies
0 copper pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = 14
Load = (sum up the bulk of everything carried)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 pm

Requests to Join (Heroes in the Making)

ehiker133 wrote:
.~-= Norin, Son of Nain, Son of Narin, Son of Nar =-~. of the Lonely Mountain

Story
Norin is one of the great grandchildren of Nar, Thror's lone companion when he went on the fool's errand to reclaim Moria by himself.

After delivering his solemn message to Thrain, Son of Thror, Nar quietly passed into obscurity and out of the historical records. But his lineage did not.

Norin has fond and vivid memories of sitting on the floor in front of grandpa Narin when he was but a child, listening to stories of the great warriors of his time. On very special occasions - large family gatherings and the like - Grandfather Narin would tell the tale of Great-Grandfather Nar, friend and companion of Thror.

To most of the grandchildren, this was nothing more than a story, full of the embelishments, fibs and white lies that so often pepper grandfather's stories. But to Norin, it was so much more. It was a mark of shame against their family that Nar couldn't convince Thror of the futility of his idea, that Nar didn't accompany his king into Moria with him (never mind that it would have meant he'd never been born), or that he should have at least retrieved his king's head to return to Thrain.

One day these thoughts weighed more heavily on Norin's mind than ever. He slammed his fist on the dinner table, stood up and, eerily echoing the words of Thrain so many years ago, bellowed, "This cannot be borne!" He gathered his battle gear and left for Moria the next day.

He isn't really quite sure yet what he seeks in Moria. Answers, revenge, retribution, reclaimed honor - it might be some or all of these. And who would complain if a little bit of treasure made its way into his hands in the process?

Biology : Dwarf
Alignment : Fair
Languages : Khuzdul, Westron

Class & Levels : Fighter 3
Experience Points : 8,000
XP Bonus : -10%
Hit Dice : 3d6+2

Armour Class : 3
Saving Throw : 13 (+2 vs Poison, Wands, Staves, Spells - Dwarf Bonus) (+2 vs Poison, Paralysis, Petrification, Death - Fighter Bonus)

Abilities
STR : 17 (+1)(4 in 6)
INT : 09 (2 in 6)
WIS : 06 (1 in 6)
DEX : 14 (+1) (3 in 6)
CON : 12 (2 in 6)
CHA : 13 (3 in 6)

Gear
Dwarven War Hammer (3 DD, 60sp, 2 blk)
Dagger (1 DD, 2sp, - blk)

Dwarven Mail (AC 5, 300sp, 4 blk)
Dwarven Helmet (AC -1, 150sp, 1 blk)

Backpack (2sp, 1 blk)
- Trail Rations (1 wk) (14sp, 1 blk)
Bedroll (3sp, 1 blk)
(2) Water Skin, 1 Qt (2sp, 2 blk)

Hirelings
Ymir, Dwarven Physician Companion (30sp/week, 1 wk paid upfront; equip cost = 51sp; Load = 12)
Backpack
- Trail Rations (1 week)
(2) Water Skin
Sack
- (3) Healing Herbs
Sack
- (1) Healing Herbs

Burmon, Dwarven Laborer (6 sp/week, 1 wk paid upfront; equip cost = 83sp; Load = 14)
Porter's Rackpack
- (2) Water Skins
- (2) Flasks, Lantern Oil
- Trail Rations (4 weeks)
Sack
- (4) Flasks, Lantern Oil
Lantern

Wealth
06 silver pennies
06 copper pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = 17
Load = 12
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 5:51 pm

crusssdaddy wrote:
.~-= Arbenbard or Arben Candle-burner =-~. of the shores of Lake Evendim

Story
Arbenbard is driven by the pursuit of knowledge & antiquities, and late nights poring through old tomes earned him his nickname 'Candle-burner'. Annuminas is a thriving capital now and dominates the region, but he comes from among the small villages west of Lake Evendim. He has explored further west into former Elven lands, learning much of the languages of that race. His greatest hope is to find some great artifact or participate in great deeds that earn him an invitation to sail west into the blessed lands.

Biology : North-Man
Languages : Westron, Northern Tongue, Adunaic, Sindarin, Quenya, the Black Speech

Class & Levels : Seer 4
Experience Points : 14,000
XP Bonus : +10%
Hit Dice : 2d6+2

Armour Class : 8
Saving Throw : 12+ (+2 save vs. wands, staves, and spells)

Abilities
STR : 11 (-) 2 in 6
INT : 13 (-) 3 in 6
WIS : 14 (+1) 3 in 6
DEX : 8 (-) 1 in 6
CON : 11 (-) 2 in 6
CHA : 13 (-) 3 in 6

Gear
porterspack
bedroll
trail rations
waterskin
wineskin
journal
3 x steel quill
10 x ink
12 x chalk
6 x copper scroll case
hooded lantern
2 x oil
tinderbox
12 x candle

Nat Pickthorn - Breelander Mercenary hireling (Load = 14)
brigandine
hand axe
flail
large shield
helmet
backpack
bedroll
waterskin
wineskin
trail rations
tinderbox

Wealth
113 silver pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = 11
Load = 8

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 6:54 pm

mushgnome wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Mushgnome, your numbers:

XP: 3 + 6 + 1 = 10
SP: 6 + 3 + 3 = 12
Str: 2 + 3 + 6 = 11
Int: 4 + 3 + 1 = 8
Wis: 4 + 3 + 6 = 13
Dex: 4 + 2 + 5 = 11
Con: 6 + 4 + 6 = 16
Cha: 4 + 1 + 5 = 10
sum: 91, average: 11.37

You can make a Dwarf, as ordered [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
.~-= Sli son of Vli =-~. of Lonely Mountain

Story
Sli son of Vli was destined to follow in his father's footsteps as a master Cheesemaker, however due to his dyslexia he was unable to graduate from the Academy and became a rogue adventurer instead. Selfish and bitter, he roamed the land alone, slaughtering Goblins and hardening his skill in battle. After a series of improbable adventures he was able to raise just enough capital to finance a meager expedition to the fabled Mines of Moria. He dreams of someday retiring as a wealthy and respected Dwarf and starting a family of his own, that his children may sit on his knee and read stories to him.

Biology : Dwarf
Alignment : Selfish
Languages: Khuzdul and Westron (illiterate)

Class & Levels : Fighter 4
Experience Points : 10,000
XP Bonus : 5%
Hit Dice : 4d6+5

Armour Class : 1 (dwarf mail+helm+large shield+2 for experience); -1 vs. trolls, giants, etc.
Saving Throw : 12 (+2 versus poison, wands, staves, spells,poison, paralysation or petrification, and death)

Abilities
STR : 15 (+1) (3 in 6)
INT : 08 (--) (1 in 6)
WIS : 13 (--) (3 in 6)
DEX : 11 (--) (2 in 6)
CON : 16 (+1) (4 in 6)
CHA : 10 (--) (2 in 6)

Gear
Sili's personal gear (all of Dwarven make): mail, large shield, helm, flail, crossbow w/case, 20 bolts w/case, spare crossbow string (cost 747.5, bulk 10)

Cart and donkey "Frosti" (cost 30, capacity 120, used 97, remaining 23)

Gear on cart (note: due to the expedition's shoestring budget, all equipment is of Mannish origin)

Sili's "daypack" backpack, 6 torches, tinderbox, waterskin, 2 empty sacks (cost 19, bulk 3, remaining capacity 2)

4 porter's rackpacks each containing: bedroll, 1 week trail rations, hemp rope, grappling hook, 2 empty sacks, lantern, 1 flask oil, 6 torches, tinderbox, waterskin, dagger (cost 41 each/164 total, bulk 9 each, capacity=full)

2 barrels Long Lake beer
8 days fresh rations (buttermilk, fruit, vegetables)
21 days trail rations (bacon, salted fish, pickled eggs, jerky, cheese, flour, vinegar, salt, molasses, coffee, dried mushrooms, etc.)
cheesemaker's supplies
cook stove
2 buckets
pick
hammer
12 iron spikes
shovel
crowbar
whetstone

Wealth
18 silver pennies
0 copper pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = 15
Load = 14 (with day pack), 10 (without pack)

Hirelings
Midvitnir the animal handler: staff (shepherd's crook), guard dog "Alf", 2 nanny goats, 2 ewes, 6 chickens
Hepti and Vestri, labourers with axes
All Dwarfish 3 hirelings have been paid 1 week in advance and are equipped with "the basic tools of their trade" (basic farm implements for Ai; basic tools for carpentry/masonry/mining/etc for An and Anar).

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 7:10 pm

mushgnome wrote:
A few questions on equipment...

1st to my fellow players: do any of the other Dwarves of Lonely Mountain want to pool resources to purchase a cart or wagon? If it is OK with our DM, we could say we traveled here as a group.

2nd to WaysOfTheEarth, can you clarify the carrying capacity of cart vs. wagon and the number and type of animals required to pull each?

3rd, also to WotE, can you give me prices for the following items:
Beer/Wine/Rum/etc by the barrel (and how many days will 1 barrel supply 1 dwarf)
Goat, sheep, chicken, dog
Cheesemaking supplies (cheesecloth, rennet, sealing wax, circular molds, etc.)
Bucket
Cast-iron cook stove with diner-style griddle
Small ballista or catapult that will fit on a cart/wagon if disassembled

4th
What season is it; if it's winter I need to know cost and weight of animal feed (otherwise I assume they can graze)

THANKS!

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 7:30 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Yep, I'm good with that, Mush... except that I don't have a whole lot of shiny silver pennies left after the two hirelings. But I'd certainly be willing to donate most of the remaining coinage I have to food/light source supplies.

We could even come up with a "gathering" story that brings us all into the picture at the same time - a quest by the elders to retrieve such-and-such item or something like that.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 11:23 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:A few questions on equipment...

1st to my fellow players: do any of the other Dwarves of Lonely Mountain want to pool resources to purchase a cart or wagon? If it is OK with our DM, we could say we traveled here as a group.

2nd to WaysOfTheEarth, can you clarify the carrying capacity of cart vs. wagon and the number and type of animals required to pull each?

3rd, also to WotE, can you give me prices for the following items:
Beer/Wine/Rum/etc by the barrel (and how many days will 1 barrel supply 1 dwarf)
Goat, sheep, chicken, dog
Cheesemaking supplies (cheesecloth, rennet, sealing wax, circular molds, etc.)
Bucket
Cast-iron cook stove with diner-style griddle
Small ballista or catapult that will fit on a cart/wagon if disassembled

4th
What season is it; if it's winter I need to know cost and weight of animal feed (otherwise I assume they can graze)

THANKS!
1st: I don't mind if PCs of FAIR alignment and of the same origin give/lend resources to others. Selfish or FELL PCs wouldn't do so, however.

2nd: The carrying capacities listed are arbitrary "bulk units", the same as the bulk units listed for equipment. A cart requires a single draft animal (i.e. a pony or donkey). A wagon requires two draft animals (i.e., horses -- sumpters).

3rd: For prices of obscure gear I'll likely consult the AD&D PHB and/or DMG, converting 1gp into 1 silver penny. I'll figure out your stove and mobile artillery costs after work tonight. Of course, you'll need an engineer and artillery crew to operate it.

4th: The season is late spring/early summer. There won't be much grazing for animals in the mines, in any case.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 09, 2011 11:38 pm

mushgnome wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:1st: I don't mind if PCs of FAIR alignment and of the same origin give/lend resources to others. Selfish or FELL PCs wouldn't do so, however.
Can I rent space on my wagon to others for profit?
waysoftheearth wrote:3rd: For prices of obscure gear I'll likely consult the AD&D PHB and/or DMG, converting 1gp into 1 silver penny. I'll figure out your stove and mobile artillery costs after work tonight. Of course, you'll need an engineer and artillery crew to operate it.
Is this something PCs can figure out how to do, or would I need to hire an engineer NPC? I'm picturing a Balrog with a ballista bolt through his chest... [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]
waysoftheearth wrote:4th: The season is late spring/early summer. There won't be much grazing for animals in the mines, in any case.
Are we starting play inside the mines, or do we have to get there first? [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 10, 2011 2:59 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:Can I rent space on my wagon to others for profit?
Entirely up to you to arrange, but there's no reason why not.
mushgnome wrote:Is this something PCs can figure out how to do, or would I need to hire an engineer NPC? I'm picturing a Balrog with a ballista bolt through his chest... [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]
A PC can "figure it out". But it will still take a number of crew to move, maintain and operate any such artillery. I'd say you should hire a Captain and several mercenaries to crew your thing.

I'm picturing a baggage train 40 yards long with wagons, crew and draft animals hauling heavy equipment through the Mines of Moria. Quietly.
mushgnome wrote:Are we starting play inside the mines, or do we have to get there first? [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
You will begin en-route to Hollin's Gate. You will have an opportunity to establish a camp before entering the mines, if desired.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 10, 2011 3:54 am

tonneau wrote:
.~-= Legndir Urbrinduil =-~. of Rivendell

Story
Legndir, Ranger of Rivendell grew up during the era of leaving, when many he knew, who were his teachers, family and friends, disappeared forever into the west. Not a loner by wont, he became one through necessity, making friends with the earth when there were none to be had among kin. It was left to him and his dwindling cohort to protect the lands of Middle-Earth from incursions from the north and uprisings within, and he took on this duty with a fierce determination and pride, as a brother might protect his family. In his wide wanderings he has fought alongside men, as well as hobbits and stranger folk, as he scoured the borders of the Shire. Yet a growing restlessness finally lead him east, and at last, to the gates of Moria, an unexplored frontier. What might a ranger find in its depths? Perhaps a glorious death€

Biology : Half-Elf.

Class & Levels : Ranger 3
Experience Points : 11,000
XP Bonus : 5%
Hit Dice : 3d6 +2

Armour Class : 3/6 (Elvish mail, Dex, Shield)
Saving Throw : 13 (+2 versus poison, wands and rays)

Abilities
STR : 14 (+1) (3 in 6)
INT : 13 (--) (3 in 6) (Languages: Sindarin, Westron, Northern Tongue)
WIS : 13 (--) (3 in 6)
DEX : 15 (+1) (3 in 6)
CON : 11 (--) (2 in 6)
CHA : 9 (--) (2 in 6)

Gear
Elvish Greatcloak
Elvish Mail
Elvish Long Bow of Rivendell
"Morfil", a Noldor Elvish blade lost by Lmebrildor of Lorien in the 2nd age, recovered by Lethelas, grandfather of Legndir, and bequeathed him upon the voyage of the former to the havens.
Elvish light shield bearing mark of Rivendell
40 Elvish Arrows in 2 Elvish shoulder cases
Elvish backpack
Elvish Belt pouch
Elvish Silk Rope (worn)
Elvish Trail rations (1 week)(backpack)
Elvish Healer€™s herbs (backpack)
Elvish Tinder box (belt pouch)
Elvish Waterskin (backpack)
Elvish Bowstring (x2)

Wealth
103 silver pennies
0 copper pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = (14)
Load = (11)

Special rules:
Move silently and invisibly (3+ on a d6)
Chance of locating hidden doors or secret passages
+1 damage in missile and melee combat against Man-like (and -sized) enemy.
In any wilderness environment surprise enemy 4 times in 6, is surprised himself only 1 time in 6.
4 chances in 6 of performing any feat of tracking, wilderness prowess or wilderness lore.
Lay on hands once per day for 1d6 +3 hit points.

Return to “Moria”