(008) Return to Edhil


Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

User avatar

Posts: 1420

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:16 pm

(008) Return to Edhil

mgtremaine wrote:
OOC: No idea how many shares we dived into but yea for team graverobber! Obvious Arbenbard would have no interest in such ill gotten gains. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

On the way back to Edhil Baraglin would bring up the topic of camp defense. He would wonder if it would be possible to build a palisade next time with the local resources or if we should try to bring some suitable wood from lower elevations to erect a proper defense. He would be willing to contribute to a fund to purchase another wagon, or should the group lack such funds he would be will to put forth the amount needed as an investment with the hope that he would be repaid from whatever take we find.

Baraglin also needs to find a set of armor that is suitable for his size. It seems unlikely that he could find Elven mail in Edhil but he would try. He would of course inquire as to where Largo got his, and ask the Elves of the group where one could buy such armor in the region.

Assuming he can not source Elven Mail he would try to find the best suit of Leather Armor possible, insisting that it was fitted and not shy about go back and have adjustments made, he would also try to have it dyed black or at least dark grey. (Assuming the book price of 15sp he would be willing to spend any where from 5sp to 25sp extra to get it just perfect)

Obviously he would restock his food supplies (say 31sp for the iron rations x2 and 3 days of fresh food to eat on the first trail day, then complain about the quality of the food the rest of the way.) He would also seek out some quality Tea to purchase and take with him. (No idea what the cost would be.)

Lastly he would also need to pick up a small shield (7sp) and a quality dagger as spare weapon (2sp).

(Once the deals are finalized I'll mark it off.)

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 5/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:35 pm

(008) Return to Edhil

mushgnome wrote:
mgtremaine wrote:On the way back to Edhil Baraglin would bring up the topic of camp defense. He would wonder if it would be possible to build a palisade next time with the local resources or if we should try to bring some suitable wood from lower elevations to erect a proper defense. He would be willing to contribute to a fund to purchase another wagon, or should the group lack such funds he would be will to put forth the amount needed as an investment with the hope that he would be repaid from whatever take we find.


Sili says: "Baraglin, wee chap, fortress defense is on my mind too. Our 1st mistake was not fixing the broken gate. 2nd was neglecting to scout the surrounding area and choose a safe camp spot. 3rd was failure of the night watch to detect the ambush and wake the camp in time. (We need a Dwarf and guard dogs on duty at all times!)"

He thoughtfully fingers the lanyard he has made from the canine teeth of his slain companion Alf the Dog. He speaks not with keen insight (Int 8) but rather from many years' experience:

"We need a base camp within a day's journey of the gate, where our noncombatants, animals, and wounded can be protected. The ideal terrain will have fresh water, perhaps a cave or natural stone fortification, hidden by forest, defended by might and magic. Far enough that a Troll leaving Moria at sunset could not strike our camp at midnight and return home by dawn. Until the threat is understood, only willing scouts and warriors should approach near the gate. We can use signal fires to warn of a raid.

"I have learned to respect the skills of each race. With Elf archery, invisible Halfling spies, the cunning of Mankind, and Dwarven steel to punish the Goblin-kind, we shall not fail!

"With my last silver penny I will write to Fili of Erebor, informing him of our dire straits and requesting his generous patronage!" (Vestri and Midvitnir are moved to humility by this gesture; they will forgo their nightly binge-drinking out of loyalty.) "In honor of fallen Hepti, I shall spend his share of the coin to hire an Dwarven Engineer to restore the gates and defenses of Moria to their glory! My Dwarven bretheren; what news and request for aid would you have me send to Erebor?"

(Note that Sili is illiterate, and therefore his offer to compose the letter is an empty gesture. He'll pay for the stamp. He asks Fili for a chest of silver and a small party of reinforcements, consisting of replacements for our hirelings and mercenaries, plus any new Dwarf PC's joining the party. Is it crazy to send the recovered goblet back to Dwarf-land as a token, along with the letter? Not that Sili would ever suggest such a thing...)

(Sili loads the iron ore, tools, and hardware onto his mules. With Vestri's labor and the supervision of an engineer, Sili intends to thoroughly fortify all future campsites! Are all 4 mules still alive? If so, would one of the other Dwarves in the party like to lead Hepti's mule?)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 pm

(008) Return to Edhil

tonneau wrote:
Legandir restocks his supplies of food and arrows with inferior human replacements.

He walks the forest awaiting the time for their departure, enjoying (as much as his demeanor permits) a few moments among trees instead of under mountains of rock, and lamenting the lack of other ranger folk among his comrades.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 am

(008) Return to Edhil

crusssdaddy wrote:
Arbenbard: "Baraglin Foolfoot, it was graverobbery of our own dead I disapproved of, not the Orcs. Of their meager wealth, I expect my full share.

"Restoration of centuries old gates, the subtle arts of which have been lost for an age? Palisades and base camps? These we need less of - are the lessons of noisy carts and clumsy camps already lost? Obviously not, since those misdeeds were paid for with the blood of innocents rather than the guilty. We need less henchmen, fewer animals, and more companions capable of quiet, stealthy work. Let us be the ambushers and attackers in the dark. We must out-think the enemy, not try to overbear him head on. How could we succeed in that strategy, where the implacable heroes of Moria itself could not?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 pm

(008) Return to Edhil

doctorx wrote:
It is perhaps well that Lmluin is not present to hear Arbenbard's latest tirade. His concern is with the dead.

He will seek out a suitable location to lay Telthalion to rest. (The ruins of Ost-In-Edhil might well suit his purposes. It was once elvish ground after all). He buries his friend with his head to the West, preferably in a spot where wild flowers will cover his grave come Spring. He will keep Telthalion's remaining arrows and lembas, but otherwise array his remaining equipment as grave goods. He will place the arms of the orcs he slew at his feet, his shattered shield beneath his head, his bow at his side, his sword in his cold hands.

Once the task is completed, he stands leaning on his sword in silent vigil over the grave until the sun hangs low in the sky to the West. As it begins to set, he raises his head, looks out upon the reddening horizon and raises his voice in a slow, sad, hauntingly-beautiful Sindarin song of lament, the last phrases ending with the last rays of the sun.

As the sky is surrendered to the shadow of night he bows his head low one final time, then turns on his heel, sheathes his sword and walks away to rejoin the surviving members of the Fellowship...

(O.O.C: If anyone would like to know what he sings (assuming your PC speaks Sindarin) feel free to PM me. [img]images/smiley/cheesy.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:53 am

(008) Return to Edhil

calithena wrote:
Soval will lead no more soldiers to their death. He will have his ear to the ground in Edhil for men of some renown (i.e. leveled henchmen), and if any such appear he will commit his own funds to the cause and seek help from others as they can give it.

As to his own equipment, he will replenish naught but rations, as the extra flasks of oil he was carrying was too much for him to bear in any event. (OOC: At least, that's the case as long as his original weapons and armor are still good. Got to go check what my encumbrance score is...sigh...I'm a fighter!)

He will certainly help with the burial of the dead, and in fact will commit some silver to help with the bodies of his own men as best he can. (OOC: Likely he will be wiped out after being in town, given the numbers of the dead.)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:05 pm

(008) Return to Edhil

doctorx wrote:
Lmluin goes in search of the Lady ‰ohild.

"My Lady? I require your assistance. My groom Frewine was of Rohan." He sighs; "In truth, I knew him little, yet I would see him laid to rest in a manner appropriate to his people. Can you advise me at all?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:55 am

(008) Return to Edhil

heartless wrote:
doctorx wrote:Lmluin goes in search of the Lady ‰ohild.

"My Lady? I require your assistance. My groom Frewine was of Rohan." He sighs; "In truth, I knew him little, yet I would see him laid to rest in a manner appropriate to his people. Can you advise me at all?"


"You are thoughful Lmluin for those you care for. I am touched by your elvish kindness to all people, and am indebted to you also for protecting my life.
I am more than happy to assist in the laying to rest of Frwine of Rohan. Deorwyn my groom also from Rohan will glady aid us. Been so far from home it is only right to remember a Rohirrim in the proper manner", replies Lady ‰ohild. [img]images/smiley/cry.png[/img]

Lmluin I have no horse now after the Orc attack. I am left with a decision to make for the future of my groom Deorwyn. I am thinking of letting her go to return home, but maybe you could retain her services to care for your horse. I can vouch for her as an excellent groom for your horse", requests Lady ‰ohild.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16184

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:34 am

(008) Return to Edhil

doctorx wrote:
Lmluin gives a graceful bow, a faint trace of a smile in evidence upon his usually grim lips.

"I thank you for your aid, Lady, and will happily accept Deorwyn into my service if she is willing. It would be a comfort to me to know that my steed was cared for by one of Rohan."

And with ‰ohild and Deorwyn's help he sets about laying Frwine to rest.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Previous

Return to Moria

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software