The Third Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 pm

The Third Adventure

Our Heroes have agreed to assist the druid Ursa Underfoot in her research. The plan is to enter the dungeon in the dark (any light source will taint the research) and help Ursa transport her research equipment to the Puffball Chamber. Upon safe arrival at an appropriate patch of spore-producing puffballs, Ursa will remain to conduct her research, and the party will go their separate way.

There comes a knock at the door of the Pancake House, and two Humans enter. Both of them are adolescent boys, and they are polite toward the Hobbets. Long-time viewers will recognize them as the Miller's boys, who helped unload the turnip wagon at the start of the First Adventure. "Mister Frederick, we brought what you asked for." The Hobbets look outside and see a donkey cart, piled high with many coils of rope. If you tied it all together, it would reach thousands of feet! The rope is neatly coiled, so that it's easy to carry slung over your shoulder or strapped to your pack. Your DM isn't going to worry too much about the exact encumbrance, unless there is a pursuit situation, in which case I imagine the Hobbets would simply drop the rope and run. So let's just say our Heroes have 'a lot' of rope.

"Perfect, my 'research equipment' has arrived!" says Ursa. To the party she says, "If you will load yourself up with as much rope as you can carry, I think we are ready to get started."

Carrying their maximum capacity, our heroes contemplate the dungeon entrance. The ladder disappears ominously into the dark, and there is a mild but unnerving breeze up from the caverns, wafting all sorts of vaguely unpleasant smells. Our Heroes were feeling pretty confident about this whole Adventuring business, after clearing the Ghoul nest and surviving a couple of encounters with the Spider-Goat, but the pitch blackness adds an extra layer of tension to the dungeoneering experience.

"Right, I'll go first, since this was all my crazy idea. Follow me, down the hole!" says Ursa. A fall isn't going to damage the rope, so she tosses her coils down the shaft before climbing down the ladder.

What is the plan? Standard single-file marching order, with Ursa in the lead? That would look like this: Ursa, Dame Simonetta, Willie, Dougal, Noh, Kiplyn, Tet.

rredmond, according to my notes, Noh has memorized Entangle; can you confirm that is accurate?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Re: The Third Adventure

mushgnome wrote:rredmond, according to my notes, Noh has memorized Entangle; can you confirm that is accurate?
Confirmed. I'm going to try and keep my one spell in my signature... so I remember what it is. :D
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Kiplyn Looks down into the dark hole...."Err, this is going to be tricky." He'd climb down after Ursa and then step to one side to allow the others to group up.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:52 pm

At the foot of the ladder, Ursa gives the party a quick lesson how to navigate the dungeon without any light. "The trick is to tie one end of the rope to the ladder, and trail it behind us as we go. If you keep one hand on the rope, then you won't get separated from the group. And when you're done, simply follow the rope back the way you came, to find the exit!"
Remember how I said yesterday, not much damage from the storm here up in the White Mtns? So it turns out most people around here lost power, and there's a crew next door chopping up a big tree that narrowly missed the neighbor's house. I guess we just got lucky!

I hope everyone is okay in these crazy, crazy times. Let's do some escapist, fun dungeon crawling!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Willie grabs ahold of the rope & holds it tight.

"We're right behind you, Ms. Ursa, ma'am!"

With his free hand he checks Lantern III, to make sure he knows where it is (tied to his pack) so he'll be able to find & light it quickly when the times comes
This looks fine to me: Ursa, Dame Simonetta, Willie, Dougal, Noh, Kiplyn, Tet
mushgnome wrote:I hope everyone is okay in these crazy, crazy times. Let's do some escapist, fun dungeon crawling!
Glad you're safe! We lost power, too, and I annoyed the household by using a candle to do some "live testing" of dungeon lighting conditions. :D
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm

"I'll be following your lead,"Dame Simonetta announces to Ursa. She ties the end of the rope to the ladder (unless Ursa has already done so).

Post by rredmond » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:09 pm

"Looking forward to hearing about your results," Noh adds, falling into line in the marching order.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:55 am

kipper wrote:"I'll be following your lead,"Dame Simonetta announces to Ursa. She ties the end of the rope to the ladder (unless Ursa has already done so).
Ursa forgot. Does Dame Simonetta have a favorite type of knot?

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:01 am

rredmond wrote:"Looking forward to hearing about your results," Noh adds, falling into line in the marching order.
You know what? Just for fun, let's roll for this: reaction check to see how much of her research she shares with her fellow Druid. 2d6 = 5, not great; not terrible. Ursa remains somewhat guarded about her research. But then he gets +1 CHA bonus, so let's say, despite her reservations, she's so excited about her project that she's dying to talk about it, or at least drop a few hints, with someone who understands. She told Frederick all about it, but most of the Druid stuff went over his head. I will reflect that in the dialogue below...

Post by mushgnome » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:16 am

Turn 1

Our Heroes grab as many coils of rope as they can carry and begin to squirm and wriggle through the tight-squeeze passageway. It's dark and cramped and there are funny noises and bugs and cobwebs and who knows what else. The Hobbets cling to the rope as their only lifeline.

Ursa Underfoot seems completely at home in the dark, claustrophobic environment and she has to consciously slow her pace so the others can keep up. She's not even short of breath as she calls back to Noh, "My research is a spoiler but I will tell you this: You know all those billions of spores that come from those puffballs? Have you ever wondered where they go? I'm planning to camp out down here a few days, maybe a week. You can visit me any time. All I ask is that you not use any lights when you are in this section of the caves, I call it the Grand Chasm."

On the positive side, the party didn't consume any lantern oil or torches this turn.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”