Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by acodispo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Willie, uncharacteristically, only picked in a desultory fashion at his potato pancakes (meaning of course, that he ate only two dozen and not any more than that).

Now he gets to his feet & barely-whispers to Skip:

"Please Mr Skip -- there's something going on here, and I want you to know that I want to join in! How can I be a real Burglar if I don't seek out adventure wherever I can find it?"

He pauses, and looks pointedly at Fiona and Douglas, then back at Skip.

"Furthermore, I think we are all here for similar reasons," he continues, gesturing to the other hobbits gathered round the table. "We're a bunch of misfits, and not truly meant for farming. Meaning no offense, I'm sure, sir."

"So, getting to my point and all: what should we tell Mr. Frederick? What's the password?"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Dougal nods at Willie's speech, though it's a little more direct than he would have been.

"You know we're hard workers, Mr. Farmer. And you know we're not going to get a fair shake here in this town..."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:39 am

Farmer Skip sighs and whispers, "Look, I'm on your side. But you have to understand, there are *Rules* here. Rules are the only thing protecting us from total Chaos. Keeping our little Secret is literally a matter of life and death. If the wrong people find out what we're standing on top of... under our feet... Ah, shoot, I've said too much already. Talk to Frederick. Tell him what you just told me. If he says you're in the Club, then you're alright in my book. I hope it works out for you. You seem like good kids. Oh, and about the password: You already know the password, you've known it your whole lives. You've got this. P.S. I'll be back this way in a week or so, if you need a ride home."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Dougal closes his eyes in concentration, thinking about where he is and who he's with and what's something he's known his whole life.

His eyes open brightly and a sly grin slips across his face as he starts walking towards Fredrick

When he reaches the chef he first compliments him on the food. "That was the best meal I've had in 30 years, Fredrick. Absolutely delicious, those... Johnnycakes."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Frederick is behind the counter washing dishes with his back to our Heroes. As Dougal approaches he overhears the old Hobbet singing a merry song:

Johnnycakes, johnnycakes, round and sweet!
Johnnycakes, johnnycakes, I like to eat!
Soak 'em in syrup 'till they squish, squish, squish!
Johnnycakes, johnnycakes, you're so delish!

Frederick's enthusiastic and off-key delivery triggers a childhood memory, locked away in the back of Dougal's mind: A tiny little toddle-hobbet, Dougal is laughing with glee at the funny Hero from out of town. The stranger is singing a song about johnnycakes and juggling axes blindfolded! You're worried he'll cut off his fingers, but he throws the axes higher and higher! Many of the Hobbet children are frightened and look away. But a few of them lean forward, captivated by the danger and thrill of the spectacle! In the firelight I can see young Dougal's laughing face. His chubby friend must be Tet. There are Chegs and Willie. And shy little Potty!

In the present: Our Hobbet Heroes look at each other's faces and realize they share a common childhood bond: a Wandering Hero who passed through their town and planted the seed of Adventure in their young minds.

Frederick 8th turns and smiles at Dougal. "Welcome to Adventure Club! Do you accept the risk, and pledge to follow The Rules?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 am

Tet is so busy stuffing his face with food that he couldn't speak if he tried. His eyes go momentarily round with astonishment when he hears the password, however, then he nods frantically in the affirmative.
Good job Ehiker :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:57 pm

Willie's jaw drops as the unexpected reverie takes over his consciousness for a moment. Then in a bit of a daze he whispers:

"Johnnycakes. I remember."

Then louder:

"Johnnycakes, johnnycakes!"

He leaps to his feet as he speaks the word in echo of Dougal's mock-casual utterance.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Frederick locks the door and flips the Open sign to Closed. He reaches up to the display rack on the wall and takes down his axe. It is an antique one-handed weapon with a well-worn wooden haft and a hatchet-shaped steel head. He says, "Before you can become full members, each of you must pass the ancient ritual to prove your courage. This is Chopper, Original Frederick's magic axe. For eight generations it has judged who is worthy of becoming an Adventurer. I will see you one at a time in my office for the test." He folds a dish cloth into a blindfold and covers his eyes. He stumbles toward the back room, bumps into the wall, fumbles for the knob, and then finally finds the door. "Who's coming first?"

Please queue up for the Initiation Ritual, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. I need to know from each of you: rate your current degree of Bravery on a scale of 0-10. 10 means you wouldn't even flinch no matter what; you'd let Frederick chop off as many fingers as it takes to become an Adventurer. 0 means you quit now and ride the turnip truck back home.

Also, would Potty please state for the record which Druid spell he has memorized today?

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Chegs burning with very un-hobbet like vigor and determination, says "10...on the honor of my pappy I say 10". He moves forward and thrusts out both hands before him.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by acodispo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm

Willie thinks over his day. He's feeling pretty good. He left home, he loaded turnips mightily, he helped to deal with an albino moose. He had tasty potato pancakes, and he stumbled on Real Live Adventurers first place he visited. He's feeling strong, quick, & clever.

At first he's nervous about that axe, but the distant memory of that adventurer juggling blades gives him confidence.

Let's put him at Bravery 8.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”