Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mgtremaine » Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

"Password! Password? Well I'll be, never heard of such a thing, here I am poor work hand just trying eat his Johnnycakes before the miserable toil of the fields and you're talking about secret clubs that are not to be talked about.". Kiplyn moves the pancake around on his plate wondering what is going on.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Tue May 12, 2020 6:52 pm

"I adventure with this club," Noh says, taking out his cudgel, "does that count?" He and Carc are enjoying the fire too much, he longs for the woods. But the rumors of the plant and animal life below draws him...
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by kipper » Wed May 13, 2020 2:46 am

"I believe I too will test the quality of the proprietor's Johnnycakes", Dame Simonetta announces.

Post by mushgnome » Wed May 13, 2020 5:13 am

Frederick stands behind the counter with his back to our Heroes, flipping yet another stack of pancakes for hungry Tet and company. A smile crosses his face when he hears the newcomers speak the password. He is proud to see the Adventure Club traditions are alive and flourishing. He looks up at his axe hanging on the wall and thinks fondly of his own Adventures of his youth. Frederick decides to play it cool and pass the torch to the next generation. For all the newcomers know, he's just an ordinary pancake house proprietor.

"Welcome! I am your host Frederick. You look tired and hungry! House special sampler, coming up. Will you be staying the night? After you're done eating, you can push the tables back and sleep on the floor by the fireplace. Madam, may I offer you my room for your privacy? I don't mind sleeping out here under the counter. Does anyone need to borrow a blanket?"

As the conversation continues, Frederick passes out mugs of herbal coffee made from dandelion root. He replenishes the butter supply and refills the cruets of honey and maple syrup.

"The first recipe I want you to try is made with a new grain called 'keen-wah.' It has more essential pancakeness compared to ordinary flour. Here is a plate for you my lad, and one for you, madam. Enjoy these hot off the griddle, while I make the next batch. I think you will like my recipe for potato pancakes."

Frederick's hands are a blur as he grates potatoes and onions for the next batch. He listens in as our heroes make their introductions and discuss the Rules of membership in the Club.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Having nodded off to sleep with the peaceful lull of Frederick's kitchen noises, Dougal snorts awake with a start as the front door catches the wind and slams shut.

"Wha? Ghouls!"he cries as he jumps to his feet, sword already out and poised. Then he pauses, looks around, and sighs. The tip of his sword lowers slowly to the ground as he takes in the newcomers.

"It ain't no drinkin' club and it sure ain't no gentlemen's club. And there's no guarantee you'll make it back to this here room, neither. If you're fine with that, then..."he shrugs, "welcome to the club tha' we don't say the name of."

Dougal glances over at Frederick and asks, "Fred, don't you have to do some sort of initiation test with that 'uge cleaver of yours?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Frederick replies with a wink, "Who, me? My idea of 'adventure' is flipping an over-easy egg without breaking the yolk." Reading between the lines, Dougal senses that Frederick is content to take a back seat and delegate the initiation and membership responsibilities to the next generation of adventurers.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu May 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Willie whispers to Dougal and the other current members of the club:

"They know the password, so I guess we let them in. But what should be do for an initiation? Mr Frederick's axe trick was scary but satisfying!"
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 15, 2020 10:41 pm

How's about they's gotta eat the next stack o' pancakes... without butter? suggests Tet, the color draining from his chubby face as he breathes the profoundly serious final clause.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Willie is aghast.

"Tet. That's diabolical! The dungeon has changed you... But I vote aye! They must prove themselves willing to endure great pain & hardship in order to join Adventure Club."
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Dougal nods in dour agreement and calls out, "Naye butter ont next stacker, Freddie."

Inwardly, Dougal ponders what a world we live in today where a Hobbet is forced to eat a stack of flapcakes without butter and mournfully shakes his head.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”