Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by rredmond » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:16 pm

Re: Out Of Character

That is very Gygaxian of you. :)
Sounds good. Mayhap a few more light sources, and then just save the $$ for future needs.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Based on the party's current predicament: holy water?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:06 pm

mushgnome wrote:Based on the party's current predicament: holy water?
Seconded! :o
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by rredmond » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:07 am

With a sprig of the mistletoe, my own special concoction. :D 8-) :lol:
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 am

Sorry I'm late to the party, as usual.

You can use the OOC (out of character) tag for short OOC comments within your in character post.

Or, you can use the OC tag to write longer OOC comments that you don't want to interrupt the "flow" of your in character post.

The board will format OOC text in line in your main post, but it will put OC text in a separate column to the right-hand side of your main post. Unfortunately, it ain't perfect. The formatting only really works "right" if you post your IN character stuff first (between IC tags) followed by your OUT of character stuff (between OC tags). Like this:

IC my in character stuff /IC
OC my out of character stuff /OC

I originally put the OC tag in as a tool for a referee/DM to explain the game mechanics behind in-game situations (especially combat resolution) without ruining the reading/writing experience of the in game part. But it has turned out to be kinda useful for explaining other stuff too.

The main issue is that it doesn't work well if you subsequently QUOTE someone else's IC/OC post, so try to avoid using the QUOTE feature, or use it with care.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm

If anyone is at all interested in Real Play podcasts, you should check out the "Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program". It's real play Cthulhu. The first season is from 2015, so I'm not sure what edition it is. Maybe 6? The second season is edition 7.

It's sort of played off as an old time radio program, complete with fake commercials that are terribly non-PC and based on what was accepted knowledge of the 1920's (how smoking is good for your health, new sanitary napkins, etc.).

The acting is superb and they seamlessly add their dice rolls to the story. You almost don't even notice them, they do them so quickly and effortlessly.

I'm on Season 2 right now, wishing there was a third. It's all done by members of the Nerdy Show Network - I believe they did these story arcs because people donated enough money for it to happen, so I suppose there could always be additional seasons if they get enough interest. Apparently Season 1 is one of the most downloaded stories of the Nerdy Show Network.

It's REALLY really good. The recording quality is fantastic. This is exactly the opposite of four guys in a room around one mic playing D&D 5e and making loud bodily noises while drinking beer.

The NSN has other podcasts, as well, including Dungeons & Doritos. I have saved that podcast but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Anyway, if you want to get yourself into a Cthulhu sort of mood, definitely check these out.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 am

This is good stuff! Listening to episode 1 right now. You known I love all things Cthulhu. :twisted:

My current gaming soundtrack of choice, The Thing (Complete Score) by Ennio Morricone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgiSXRoG2tQ
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:46 pm

There IS a Season three. it is just coming out of production and should begin posts within the next few months.

Since they score original music and spend so much time in studio recording and such, the cost for a season ends up being about $4,000 or so apparently! But it shows. Or... it listens?

I'll be sure and post any other Cthulhu podcasts I come across, but... they're going to have to work hard to beat this one! It's just fantastic.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by rredmond » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:57 pm

I have only listened to the intro, but I'm glad they explained CoC a bit, and probably will as they go along since all of them, except the DM are new to it. I've always been intrigued by the game, but never have played it. SAN was, and still is a confusing stat for me. I'm enjoying the way Inferno (over at Unseen Servant) runs his AD&D 1E game in a CoC style, so I'm pretty certain this game, and the pod, will be fun. :)

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:51 pm

I bought the 1st edition Chaosium CoC box set when it came out, read all the books cover-to-cover, but never found anyone to play with me (all my friends wanted to play D&D). But I think it's had a big influence on my DM'ing style.

Honestly, the most fun-in-actual-play "SAN check" mechanic I've ever discovered is to simply let the player decide whether they succeed or fail. ;)

(edit) Listening to Ep 4 of the Mystery Program... loving the "brown wet gas" commercial!

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”