Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:24 am

Re: Out Of Character

Link?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by rredmond » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:19 pm

https://nerdyshow.com/cthulhu/

I do hate players like the dude playing Father Grandfather. They aggravate me so much it's making the first episode really difficult to get through. The story seems real interesting though.
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:42 pm

rredmond wrote:https://nerdyshow.com/cthulhu/

I do hate players like the dude playing Father Grandfather. They aggravate me so much it's making the first episode really difficult to get through. The story seems real interesting though.
As annoying as he is, he actually ends up figuring things out and being at the right place/right time ahead of the rest of the group. But yeah, as a player I despise this type of player.

WOTE, if you have IOS device, it's the "Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program" on your Podcast app. Nerdy Show has a good variety of podcasts - something you might be interested in if you're driving a lot, come to think of it! The one called "RPG From Scratch" is some of the same people as the Call of Cthulu program, as they go through development of their own game system. I'm only on Episode 5 or 6 right now, but it's really great so far. Episodes alternate between game development and test play sessions. They also have a more traditional D&D podcast called "Dungeons & Doritos" that I've downloaded but not yet started. But if it's anything like the quality of their Cthulhu game, it should be really good.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:42 pm

I have mixed feelings about the Father Grandfather player/character.

On the one hand, duh, obviously.

On the other hand, we all enjoy gaming for different reasons. He's obviously having a good time. If a player at my table is happy, I feel... good about that? The question is, does it stop the other players from having fun? I thought the GM in this case did a good job compartmentalizing Father Grandfather's antics, and giving the other players an opportunity to 'opt out' and play at their own pace.

Disclaimer I'm only halfway through the season.

The musical interludes are great!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 am

Yeah. It’s irksome to me. And I do think it was handled well. I don’t mind the “well my character would act this way” folks. But when they get in the way of play, make it all about them no matter whether they are affecting others’ fun, well then that’s not cool. Don’t join a cooperative game to be the LG/CE @$$ who gets his kicks out of messing up other folks fun. :(

Not that I have an opinion on this or anything. :lol:
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:33 pm

I just finished the first series. I thought they did a good job wrapping it up. CoC games tend to end differently than D&D games (not so much "we return to the tavern to level up and count our treasure!") and the GM did a good job putting the cherry on the sundae.

The use of music throughout was pure genius. The Genesis cover ("Carpet Crawlers") in episode 8 was simultaneously catchy and apocalyptic. Could Peter Gabriel be some kind of secret chaos cultist?!?

My only complaint, there were a few times the background music and sound effects were too loud and it was hard for me to hear the players' voices. It would have been cool if they'd published a written transcript for the hard-of-hearing. :)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:34 pm

I don't at all disagree with any of that.

Sort of along the lines of your freedoms are absolutely no problem until they impose upon my freedoms.

The best part about this podcast are all the throwaway one-liners, like when the mailman says, "Ah, man, not again..."

I'll add that I'm REALLY enjoying the RPG From Scratch podcast, both the development of RPG Rules and the Real Play they are alternating in between development episodes. The puns and the humor, especially from all of the women players, is just fantastic.
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:37 pm

mushgnome wrote:I just finished the first series. I thought they did a good job wrapping it up. CoC games tend to end differently than D&D games (not so much "we return to the tavern to level up and count our treasure!") and the GM did a good job putting the cherry on the sundae.

The use of music throughout was pure genius. The Genesis cover ("Carpet Crawlers") in episode 8 was simultaneously catchy and apocalyptic. Could Peter Gabriel be some kind of secret chaos cultist?!?

My only complaint, there were a few times the background music and sound effects were too loud and it was hard for me to hear the players' voices. It would have been cool if they'd published a written transcript for the hard-of-hearing. :)
Yeah, CoC games tend to end poorly because they usually culminate in a face-to-face with some large horror and the loss of sanity that ensues is difficult to overcome. The rule about temporary insanity with the loss of 5 or more sanity points at once is the kicker, I think. Losing control of your character in that situation ends very poorly.

Post by rredmond » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:25 pm

So this is classic old school dungeon fun. Love it.
The dungeon is under Frederick's? Where's the Cliff's Notes for me to catch up on... or the relevant posts. :D

Post by mushgnome » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 pm

rredmond wrote:So this is classic old school dungeon fun. Love it.
The dungeon is under Frederick's? Where's the Cliff's Notes for me to catch up on... or the relevant posts. :D
But... but... but... that would be SPOILERS! :P

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”