Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Re: Out Of Character

ehiker133 wrote:Any way Dougal can have a main gauche instead of a simple dagger and get a slight AC bonus to his defense?
I'd allow a main gauche that costs 10gp, can't be thrown, and grants equivalent AC bonus to a shield.

When making multiple attacks against man-types (FC of 2 men or more) the player may declare that one of the attacks is made with the off-hand weapon. This is purely for flavor-badass-descriptive purposes and does not grant tangible mechanical benefits. Shield-wielding characters may similarly choose to declare a shield-bash as one of their attacks.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 pm

acodispo wrote:Is the movement rate for Hobbets the same as that for Men?

Thanks in advance!
Hobbets move at the same rate as men. Their stride is shorter, but their feet move quicker, like a small dog keeping pace with its master. Speedy little murder-hobos, they are.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:57 pm

mushgnome wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Any way Dougal can have a main gauche instead of a simple dagger and get a slight AC bonus to his defense?
I'd allow a main gauche that costs 10gp, can't be thrown, and grants equivalent AC bonus to a shield.

When making multiple attacks against man-types (FC of 2 men or more) the player may declare that one of the attacks is made with the off-hand weapon. This is purely for flavor-badass-descriptive purposes and does not grant tangible mechanical benefits. Shield-wielding characters may similarly choose to declare a shield-bash as one of their attacks.
Gracias. I'll deduct an additional 7gp and make sure my stats are current.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Ah! Just realized that my character will match my Avatar again! That hasn't happened since before Desmond ate a dungeon fruit from an upside down tree and grew himself a second head...
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 pm

I wish these forums had a "like" button. I'd be handing them out like halloween candy just about now. I'm loving this game, and we haven't even gotten to the good stuff!

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Mush, was driving to work this morning with Spotify playing one of its mix playlists for me (some Celtic music I enjoy) and a song by Brian Finnegan started playing.

But it wasn't the song that caught my attention, it was the name of the album it was on.

"The Ravishing Genius of Bones"

It would have made a great character name in the old Deep Arkham game...

Post by mushgnome » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:38 am

ehiker133 wrote:Mush, was driving to work this morning with Spotify playing one of its mix playlists for me (some Celtic music I enjoy) and a song by Brian Finnegan started playing.

But it wasn't the song that caught my attention, it was the name of the album it was on.

"The Ravishing Genius of Bones"

It would have made a great character name in the old Deep Arkham game...
I'm listening now. It's very nice. Good background music for Hobbet stories! :)

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 pm

I'll be posting infrequently for the foreseeable future until I can get my internet connection fixed. I can post once every two days via a local library if my wi-fi connection continues to be buggy. If things get worse, I'll update the group.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by mushgnome » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:51 am

@Ebon Hearted Soul: No problem; Hobbets adventure at a leisurely pace! I will assume Chegs keeps pace with the party, and I will wait for your input should he encounter any life or death situations. :)

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:29 am

Your in game map with "light radius" is great mush. What tools are you using?

FWIW, I can't recall precisely what DD4 says, but the original has light sources providing good illumination out some short way (15, 20ft, whatever) but then don't place any real limit on how far dim shapes/spaces can be made out beyond that. I guess this implies that you could see the vague shape/form of a large room/cavern even with a feeble light... but you'd only track/identify figures up close.

Also FWIW, I've been assuming pursuit turns take place at the (one-minute) combat timescale. Considering that flee/pursuit moves are right off the wargame table and happen in "combat turn" timescale there, it makes sense (to me) to continue this tradition in D&D. The other thing is, just look at the movement rates versus time scale! 10 minute turns makes pursuit speed g-l-a-c-i-a-l whereas one minute turns makes pursuit speed vaguely plausible.

A couple of things to ponder maybe ;)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”