The First Adventure


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 1708

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Dougal nods,"That sounds like a good idea, Tet. Might prevent it from bringing more of his friends... if giant ants even think that way."

Dougal retrieves a vial of oil from his pack. "I have oil, but do not have a lantern for burning it. I guess I sort of figured we wouldn't roll our one lamp down a ravine... Let's use the light of the burning oil to figure out where we are, as well."

Dougal pours a trail of oil over the ant tracks for as long as he can until the oil runs out. Then, when everyone is ready, he borrows one of the burning torches to light the trail of oil.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1166

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Image


I think this is a good plan, and it's probably going to work. Ants rely on their sense of smell, and the burning oil will obliterate their trail of pheromones.

I will rule that 1 flask of oil will cover 60' of ant tracks. No particular reason for that number, but it "feels right."

This time, I am going to take it easy on you with regards to getting lost or turned around. North is still north, and our heroes are certain they came from the eastern tunnel. I have crudely illustrated the ant-trail.

My question to you is this: Are you going to spread some oil and then light if from the spot marked X, or would you rather lay a trail of oil as you backtrack to the east, and then light it from the eastern end?
User avatar

Posts: 651

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Re: The First Adventure

mushgnome wrote:My question to you is this: Are you going to spread some oil and then light if from the spot marked X, or would you rather lay a trail of oil as you backtrack to the east, and then light it from the eastern end?


The latter seems so much safer. :) I.e. burning oil between us & the ants, not us & home.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1166

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Re: The First Adventure

acodispo wrote:
mushgnome wrote:My question to you is this: Are you going to spread some oil and then light if from the spot marked X, or would you rather lay a trail of oil as you backtrack to the east, and then light it from the eastern end?


The latter seems so much safer. :) I.e. burning oil between us & the ants, not us & home.


Agreed; though to play devil's advocate... if the party stood at the X, the temporary flare of light from the burning oil might allow them to see farther into unknown territory and reveal a few unexplored tiles on the map.
User avatar

Posts: 1708

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Starting at the ravine, Dougal begins pouring oil on the ant trail, heading east towards from where they came.

"We need to know where we are before we can move forward. Someone lead the way back, following the ant trail, and I'll cover the trail with oil. When we run out of oil, we'll burn it."


Better to explore what we missed between us and home during pursuit, I think...
Last edited by ehiker133 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 651

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Willie leads the way!

"Potty, you've a sharp nose, help me hold to this trail!"
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1166

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 am

Re: The First Adventure

Turn 16

With a loud whooosh sound, the trail of oil is ignited! Six squares (tinted red on the map) are engulfed in flame, briefly illuminating the dungeon with a cheery glow. Our heroes find themselves at the intersection marked X. To the south, the cavern forks and branches, and the walls are riddled with cracks barely wide enough for a Hobbet. To the east is an unremarkable 10' tunnel that looks vaguely familiar. The Hobbets catch their collective breath and consider their next move...

Image
User avatar

Posts: 1708

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Studying the cracks, Dougal suggests, "Doubtful we 'rushed' through those cracks, so likely we came from this way." He points to the possibly familiar passage to the east.

"I think we should check there and make sure we're not completely lost and didn't pass up anything interesting before we explore completely unfamiliar areas..."
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 651

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Re: The First Adventure

"I agree," opines Willie. "Let's head east. Pressing onward doesn't seem very wise till we know the way back!"
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 403

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:52 pm

Re: The First Adventure

"Oh dear" says Potty as the cavern floor becomes a sea of flame.

He envisages all the undiscovered mushrooms shriveling in the fire, and his eyes water.

"Ah...east it is then, yes" he sighs.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software