Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by acodispo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Willie claps the boy on the shoulder: "Well done, lad!"

Then he marvels at the bottle cap. "Ingenious!"

He pockets the cap from his drink absentmindedly.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm

"Well," Dougal says with a sigh, "Let's get these bags unloaded and check out those pancakes. All this shire talk is making me hungry."

He begins unloading the cart, once the farmer has it pulled into position.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:15 am

"Mighty fine root beer, I really need to learn how to make this. My complements for the repast & cannot wait to taste your pancakes"< says Chegs to the lads, before getting back to work.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by mushgnome » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Soon enough the crew has stacked the turnips in their storage bin and neatly loaded the farmer's wagon with sacks of flour bound for the hobbet lands. Coins change hands and the farmer bows respectfully. "Please thank your father, young sirs. I'll be back after lunch to pick up my oxen."

Turning to the Hobbet Heroes, the farmer says the long-awaited words, "And now, who's up for PANCAKES?"

The Hornpipe Hill House of Pancakes is across the street from the miller's farmstead, on top of the hill, next door to the windmill. As the Hobbets climb the path, they are struck what a fine old hill it is: an ancient limestone hill, no doubt riddled with miles of tunnels and caverns.

The House of Pancakes is a modest building, a mere shack by human standards, but well-kept and welcoming. A human would need to stoop to enter, but a Hobbet feels right at home. Inside is a small dining room with three round tables and a dozen hobbet-sized chairs, plus counter seating for a few more. Behind the counter is a kitchen nook with a diner-style griddle. Mounted on the wall behind the counter is an antique hand axe with a plaque that reads "Chopper."

There are two Hobbets at the table nearest the hearth. Both look like they are in rough shape. The female does not look up from her pancakes or otherwise acknowledge the newcomers. Her skin and clothing are singed, and she has no eyebrows. She wears leather armor and carries a sword at her waist. The male wears leather armor and has one arm in a sling. His spear leans against the wall. He smiles, revealing a mouth full of broken teeth, and waves to the farmer with his good hand.

"Douglas! Fi-" calls Farmer Skip before the friendly stranger cuts him off with a Shhh! gesture.

"hi Douglas... hi Fiona..." the farmer whispers, and waves hello.

Douglas points to the kitchen, makes the shhh again, and waves for Skip and the others to join him at the table.

Our Heroes glance toward the kitchen area and hear the sound of loud snoring coming from behind the counter.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Dougal follows Farmer Skip to the table, wondering aloud (but in a quiet tone), "Sounds like our cook is sleepin'... might be a delay on the pancakes. But these two look interesting enough..."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Willie senses adventure, and follows Farmer Skip over to the strangers' table, keeping quiet for now.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Potty, clearly unhinged by the palpable tension in the air (and inappropriate snoring coming from the kitchen) stands just inside the door, as if ready to leave at any moment. He came here for the promise of pancakes after all, not swords and whispers.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Chegs though hungry is even more curious so follows but Willie & Skip, he squeezes past Potty. 'scuse me Potty, may I get by? Thank you", he says as he does so gently moving past Potty into the room.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:19 am

Wot, no pancakes?? Tet's face is ashen. Realising the extreme perilousness of the possibility of missing second breakfast, Tet steels himself with a huff, and follows Chegs.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am

"Hello Fiona, hello Douglas," whispers the farmer.

"Hewwo Fawmaw Sssskipp," lisps the snaggletoothed fighting-hobbet. After a few pleasantries are exchanged, he gets to the point: "Can we hitch a ride home with you? Fi's had enough of this town, and I need to see the dentist."

"Of course!" the Farmer replies."I'm leaving this afternoon. Will your friends be joining us as well? I seem to remember there are five of you, right?"

There is an awkward pause. Fiona stabs at her pancakes with her fork. Douglas shakes his head and says, "Just us two, Skip. The other three are... gone."

"Well... uh... That sounds like a long story. You can tell me on the ride home. Look, I'm starving and I haven't got all day. I'll be right back. Fiona, Douglas, this is... everybody. Everybody, say hi!"

Farmer Skip excuses himself and approaches the kitchen area. He raps his knuckles on the countertop and calls, "Wake up, Frederick! You have customers!!"

A doughy middle-aged Hobbet pops up from behind the counter. "Whaaa? Huh? Oh, Mister Pebbles! So good to see you! And who are these lads? New friends from home?"

"Yes, Frederick. They are hard workers. Put their meal on my tab, okay?"

"Why of course. Hello new friends! I am Frederick the Eighth, great-great-great-great-GREAT-grandson of Original Frederick. And you are? Today's menu is featuring keen-wah pancakes, potato pancakes, or puffball mushroom crepes. What will it be?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”