Primordial Ooze -- PCs in the Making

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am

clay1334 wrote:
Let me know if I messed anything up [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:10 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Looks good Clay [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Garek shall begin play with (2d6=1,3) 10 hit points.

Hit dice are completely re-rolled after a full night's bed rest (at an inn for example).

His boon shall be... a 4" steel cube. Each side is divided into an interlocking grid of 3x3 square faces, which can be turned and rotated to re-arrange the muddle of symbols etched onto each square. I.e., a solid metal Rubik's Cube. Garek has no notion of what might happen if he could manage to line up all the symbols... so far the puzzle eludes him.

You can go ahead a post your character sheet in The Cast thread... I'll get you going in game shortly...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Welcome Aquebman!

There are your rolls:

S: 5, 4, 4 = 13
I: 4, 4, 4 = 12
W: 3, 4, 1 = 8
D: 4, 2, 3 = 9
C: 6, 1, 6 = 13
Ch: 3, 6, 6 = 15

You can replace any one die with a 6 expect that:

. Substituting your 6 must not make an 18.
. Elves may substitute a 6 in intelligence or wisdom only.
. Dwarfs may substitute a 6 in strength or constitution only.
. Halflings may substitute a 6 in charisma or dexterity only.

You can read about the house rules http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=8034here.

You can also ask questions about the house rules http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=8035here.

You will begin play with clothing, a bedroll, a backpack, one week of victuals, a water skin, and a coin purse containing 85 sp.

Note that the silver piece is the basic unit of trade, and also that:

1 gp = 6 sp = 36 cp.

The cost of adventuring goods are listed http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=3426here.

You do not have to pay 133% of the list price for your starting gear, but you will have to pay the extra cost in Ket once play begins.

You will also be granted a boon which will be determined according to your choice of race and class.

You can post a character concept here and once we've ironed out all the details you can post your completed character sheet in http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=3425The Cast thread.

I'm here to help [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:20 am

aquebman wrote:
So I have a few quick questions.

1.) Are there pure clerics in your game or are Templars the closest thing to it just out of personal curiosity

2.) Under Templars they can memorize a certain # of spells based on their wisdom. As I do not own any OD&D books could someone be so kind as to pass on to me what those numbers would be if I had an 8 wisdom in comparison to if I had a 13 wisdom?

3.) How is Charisma viewed/used within OD&D or at least within this campaign? I get that at higher levels you can get henchmen and that sort of thing but i'm looking at from starting out does it play at all into reaction or attractiveness. Obviously part of this ties into character roleplay i'm more just trying to get a feel for how the stat is looked at/used.

I'm still under debate but I think i've wittled ideas down to a templar or a wizard.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:11 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
aquebman wrote: 1.) Are there pure clerics in your game or are Templars the closest thing to it just out of personal curiosity
There have not been any yet, but you can play one if you like.

They are as per magic-users excepting they are of two sorts; Men of Faith and Sister of Mercy. They are human only, typically lawful only, clerical spell list. They memorise 1 spell per day for each of their levels, +1 spell with 14+ wisdom.

aquebman wrote: 2.) Under Templars they can memorize a certain # of spells based on their wisdom. As I do not own any OD&D books could someone be so kind as to pass on to me what those numbers would be if I had an 8 wisdom in comparison to if I had a 13 wisdom?
A templar can memorise 1 cleric spell for every two whole experience levels he has. The number of spells he can memorise each day is adjusted by his wisdom. 14+ wisdom adds one memorisable spell. 7- wisdom subtracts one memorisable spell. Yes, this means a templar of average wisdom cannot memorise any spells at 1st level. He could, however, still cast spells from scrolls.

aquebman wrote: 3.) How is Charisma viewed/used within OD&D or at least within this campaign? I get that at higher levels you can get henchmen and that sort of thing but i'm looking at from starting out does it play at all into reaction or attractiveness. Obviously part of this ties into character roleplay i'm more just trying to get a feel for how the stat is looked at/used.
Charisma (potentially) modifies every single reaction check, which is arguably the most important roll in the game.

(keep in mind that OD&D emphasises player skill over character skill. You might have rolled an 18 charisma for your PC, but if you -- the player -- don't give me a good reason to modify your reaction roll, it doesn't mean squat).

Charisma is also important to templars (and clerics) as these will gain a spellbook containing one 1st level cleric spell for each point of charisma over 10.

Hope this helps [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

p.s. If you begin as any spell casting class you can buy 1st level spell scrolls for 25 sp each from your starting purse only (but limited to a single scroll of any spell).

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 pm

aquebman wrote:
One question with clerics:
1.) So I could get my Wisdom up to a a 13 so I would start with 1 spell memorized due to my level but I would have 5 spells in my spellbook due to my 15 charisma correct?

So this morning I found your previous posting about making some AD&D classes into OD&D Classes. That being said would you allow me to make an Assassin?
http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=5390odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=workshop&action=display&thread=5390

In regards to an assassin:
1.) How firm are you on Assassin's are all incredibly evil? The hated part makes sense no matter whether you were good or evil.

2.) Do you allow Evil in your campaign or for ease and to avoid player pvp do you prefer neutral and up?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
aquebman wrote:One question with clerics:
1.) So I could get my Wisdom up to a a 13 so I would start with 1 spell memorized due to my level but I would have 5 spells in my spellbook due to my 15 charisma correct?
Exactly correct.
aquebman wrote: would you allow me to make an Assassin?
I generally allow players to run with whatever sparks their imagination.

The thread you linked to was something I wrote for another game, but the content would be generally applicable here too. There are no ability requirements for classes here, for example.

If you really want to run an assassin, then we can work something out [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]
aquebman wrote: 1.) How firm are you on Assassin's are all incredibly evil? The hated part makes sense no matter whether you were good or evil.

2.) Do you allow Evil in your campaign or for ease and to avoid player pvp do you prefer neutral and up?

1) It's plausible that there could be state-owned assassins who are ultimately working for some "higher cause", but these would be vanishingly rare and probably of neutral alignment.

2) The players alignments are;
"lawful" (you are "for" King, country, law and order),
"neutral" (you are not particularly "for" anyone other than yourself),
"chaotic" (you are against King, country, law and order).

I allow any player options.
If your PC wants to kill another PC, I won't stop you. Do keep in mind that there are some modestly powerful neutral and lawful PCs getting about at this time, and there are plenty enough bad guys in the world to go around [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:46 pm

aquebman wrote:
K after much deliberation I am going to go with a thief. Character will be posted hopefully this evening post work.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:25 am

aquebman wrote:
.~-= Tafari Kitami =-~.

Biology : Human Female
Alignment : Neutral

Class & Levels : Thief 1
Experience Points : nil
Hit Dice : 1d
Hit Points : 4
Saving Throw: 14+ (Note: +2 vs Wands or Rays)
Armour Class : 7/7

Back Story
Tafari is 5'7" with dark ebony skin, shoulder length brown dreadlocks and a toned muscular build. Tafari grew up in a peaceful tribe of Xanadu. Her parents were missionaries of their tribe and so they moved far away near the town of Ket. When Tafari was but a teen Tafari's parents were captured by bigoted brigands looking to remove the foreigners and their tribal beliefs. She managed to escape but her parents were taken and their fate is as yet unknown. This drove Tafari to learn the ways of the other thugs, thieves, and brigands around Ket so that she may find what she lost and fight back against it.

Abilities
STR : 15 (+1) OD: 5-6, 12":100 9":150 6":200 3": 300
INT : 12 (--) 4 Known Languages
WIS : 08 (--)
DEX : 09 (--)
CON : 13 (--) SS: Always
CHA : 15 (--) Max Ret: 6, ReacAdj: +1

Gear
clothing
a bedroll
a backpack
one week of victuals
a water skin
6 Torches: 6 cp
Grappling Hook: 1sp
60 Ft Hemp Rope: 2 sp 2 cp
1 Dagger: 1 sp
Leather Armor: 12 sp

Boon
1ft wide, 30ft long ladder made of strong, black cord. one end is weighted by 1/2" steel sinkers, the other end has tiny steel grapples. The whole of it rolls up into an incredibly compact ball of cord that fits into one hand and has no encumbrance.

Wealth
0 gp
68 sp
4 cp

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:09 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Very good Aquebman.

Note that 15 strength adjusts only attack rolls; it does not adjust damage (except insofar as causes hits more frequently).

Tafari starts with (2d6=1,4) 4 hit points. Note that hit points are re-rolled after a full night's bed rest, at an inn for example.

Her AC is 7/7 (front/rear).

Her boon shall be (d1000) a 1ft wide, 30ft long ladder made of strong, black cord. one end is weighted by 1/2" steel sinkers, the other end has tiny steel grapples. The whole of it rolls up into an incredibly compact ball of cord that fits into one hand and has no encumbrance.

You can post you PC sheet over in The Cast thread.

Oh, and on the first morning you awake in game, your purse contains only 2 cp (see your private messages) [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]

Return to “Retired Threads”