Primordial Ooze -- PCs in the Making

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Thanks for helping out guys.

/user/2269loki, these guys are experienced players. You'll do well to heed their advice [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 am

loki wrote:
Ok
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:18 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
loki wrote:Ok
For the record, this will take effort on your part. You need to take some initiative here, otherwise you're never going to get into the game.

You need to:
1. Post your character sheet. It doesn't matter if it isn't totally done or accurate at this point. Just get something posted; then others can review it and let you know what needs to be changed or tweaked or can offer suggestions as to what you might want to do. If you don't know what to post for a character sheet, then start reading back through the posts on this thread to see what others have done when they were getting ready to join the game. Then just emulate them; use the same format, but insert the numbers that are appropriate to you (i.e. the dice rolls Ways of the Earth indicated were for your character). On your character sheet, the important things are:

1a. Basics: name, sex, race, alignment, a basic character concept or story line. If you don't know what any of these things are, then you need to go back and read the appropriate section in the Delving Deeper Player Manual.

1b. Indicate what one dice roll you want to replace with a "6".

1c. Indicate what class you want to be.

2. Purchase armour, weapons, and equipment. It's pretty much basic math. You know how much starting coin you have, right? I pointed it out in an earlier post. So start figuring out what equipment you most want, subtract that from your total, and then pick the next one until you have no more money.

2a. Aside from the obvious (armour, weapon, shield), don't forget to buy basic necessities, like food.

Until you get a character sheet posted, giving some indication that you're actually serious about playing, there isn't much more anyone can do for you at this point.

Respectfully,

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Re: Primordial Ooze -- PCs in the Making

@Olroda your rolls are:

Str: 2, 6, 4
Int: 5, 4, 4
Wis: 3, 2, 2
Dex: 2, 3, 6
Con: 2, 4, 3
Cha: 6, 1, 1

Remember that you can replace any one die with a 6 except that:

. Substituting your 6 must not make an 18.
. Elves may substitute a 6 in intelligence or wisdom only.
. Dwarfs may substitute a 6 in strength or constitution only.
. Halflings may substitute a 6 in charisma or dexterity only.

You can read about the current house rules here.

You can also post any questions about the house rules here.

You'll begin play with clothing, a bedroll, a backpack, one week of victuals, a water skin, and a coin purse containing 91sp.

Note that the silver piece is the basic unit of trade, and also that:

1 gp = 6 sp = 36 cp.

The prices of adventuring goods are listed here, but note that you do not have to pay 133% of the list price for your starting gear, but you will have to pay the extra cost in Ket once play begins.

You will also be granted a boon which will be determined according to your choice of race and class.

Post you initial character concept here, and when we have all the details sorted out you can post a completed character sheet in your own thread here.

Remember too; I'm here to help :)

Post by Olroda » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Beringar, Human Fighter

Beringarius, or Beringar for short, might have a noble's name, but is in fact naught but a lowly serf from the east.
He had his first taste of war in his youth, when he was levied to fight for his betters. Thirty years and a few bitter
tastes later, he still draws breath, though not easily, for most of his friends are gone and his family is hungry.
He has journeyed to the Hinterlands in the hopes of pillaging enough treasure to buy his family freedom
and a proper plot of land as well!

Appearance:
A weatherbeaten, sinewy man with bright hair and a scraggly, greying beard. His cloth is poor and unkempt,
his arms and armour dented, rusting, and clearly looted from the dead. There is iron in his gaze, however.

Lawful Alignment.

Can speak Illiberal and some Dogeral, but writing is unknown to him.

Attributes:
STR 2,6,4 -12
INT 5,4,4 -13
WIS 3,2,2(6)-11 (replaced)
DEX 2,3,6 -11
CON 2,4,3 -9
CHA 6,1,1 -8

While I could use the replacement on STR, DEX or CON to make a better fighter, cautious adventurers tend to live longer.
It also fits better with the 'gruff old warrior' concept I have going. Old being a relative term, of course.

Equipment:
(I've provided some descriptions for easier visualisation)
--
Woolen Cap -Dyed dark green.
Cloak -Brown-grey.
Tunic -Brown-grey, with sleeves.
Belt -A fancy word for a length of rope.
Smalls
Trousers -Grey.
Leg wraps -So-called 'winingas'.
Socks
Leather shoes
--
Bedroll
Backpack
Sack
Waterskin
Coin purse -Containing 21 pieces of silver.
Whetstone
Tinderbox
Pillow
--
Helmet -If possible, a 'kettle hat'. I found a good picture of one here: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/files/589 ... _n_584.jpg
Large Shield -An unpainted rectangular one.
Leather Armour -A white aketon(gambeson) of knee length, if possible.
Spear
Dagger
Hand Axe
--
Cloth -Some rags to wrap around the food and other supplies.
Victuals -One week's worth, consisting of dried meat and fish, bread, grain (oat), salt, and possibly a sausage or two.

Also, I'd like a jug or flask of some hard liquor, possibly something whiskey-like (Yep, Beringar is a thirsty one).
Some fishing line (yarn?), a few hooks and floats would be dandy, too. What would that cost me?
Finally, if I've missed something or if anyone has any ideas, I'm listening (watching!). ;)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Very nice Olroda (particularly so if English is not your native language?), Beringar it shall be!

A couple of comments:

The interior of the Kingdom is to the North, rather than to the east, so it is probable that Beringar hails from the north (unless you want him to be a queer, "foreign" type).

The descriptions of Beringar's gear are very evocative; brilliant :)

A one-quart gourd or flask of a hard liquor will cost 2sp for something nasty, 12sp for something satisfying, or 70sp for something worthy of a nobleman's table.

Fish hooks and line will cost 1sp.

Beringar's boon shall be... a pewter drinking cup graven with Holy symbols and blessed by the Bishop of Maine; Beringar believes the cup has defended him against poisoning on one occasion, and that its enchantment protects him still.

Post by Olroda » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for the kind words! I'm swedish, but I've had plenty of practice. Besides, english is a lot like 'common' these days...
waysoftheearth wrote: ...it is probable that Beringar hails from the north...
North it will be! Would it be plausible to say that he picked up Dogeral from trading with / threatening the northern snorks? If there are any, that is.
waysoftheearth wrote: Booze is expensive!
I'm adding fishing tackle and a one-quart gourd of quality firewater to the list, which means that Beringar is down to 8 silver coins.
waysoftheearth wrote: ...a pewter drinking cup...
Such a holy relic will be Beringar's pride! A treasured heirloom to be passed from father to son! I wonder where he pilf... uh, "aquired" that one?

I'm posting a draft of my character sheet below, using another as a base. Please let me know if it is up to snuff!

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:53 am

Olroda wrote:Would it be plausible to say that he picked up Dogeral from trading with / threatening the northern snorks? If there are any, that is.
That's fine; Dogeral is widespread around the fringes of the Kingdom, and many itinerant traders (including Snork merchants) and sell-swords would have been able to exchange a few words of it.

How Beringar came by the pewter cup is up to you... but I dare say it may not have been intended for him ;)

Beringar shall begin with 2d6=2,3 so a roll of 3, +2 for normal con, +3 for fighters yields 8 hit points.

You can go ahead and post your character sheet in your own thread in the PCs area; I'll help you with any corrections (if necessary).

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:00 am

A couple of things to note on your character sheet Olroda:

Beringar's HD should be "1+5" (that's 1 six-sided die plus 5 hit points).

As you noted I rolled 2d6+5 to determine Beringar's hit points and discarded the lower die. That's cos I'm overly generous toward low level PCs; I roll one additional die and drop the lowest for PCs with 1 hit die.

You may also want to sum what he is carrying. I work encumbrance in "cloves" carried. A clove is half a stone, or about 7 pounds. Any item that weighs around 4-10 pounds therefore counts as "1 clove". Anything smaller/lighter is ignored, as are normal clothes.

Leather armour counts 2 cloves, a week's iron rations counts 1 clove, a full water skin counts 1 clove, and so on. At a glance, it appears Beringar is carrying about 10 cloves, which is less than or equal to his 12 strength, so he is unencumbered and moves at 12".

Good work ;)

Post by Olroda » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 pm

All right, I changed my sheet accordingly.

Return to “Retired Threads”