Primordial Ooze...

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:14 am

Re: Primordial Ooze...

ehiker133 wrote:Guess I need new rolls...
Well, nothing stopping you from creating more than one pc ;)

Here are some numbers for you to ogle at...

6 4 8 14 13 9 9
10 11 17 16 15 9 10
12 12 10 10 13 10 13

17, 16, 15?? Gads.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Welcome mjulius; here are some rolls for you to think about:

[9, 12, 7, 7, 8, 11, 11]
[10, 13, 12, 6, 13, 11, 4]
[6, 15, 9, 11, 6, 4, 9]

Check out the character generation guidelines over here. If you need any help, sing out. There are a bunch of experienced players here who can advise, and I will chip in too if I need to :)

(Not necessarily "great" rolls first up; but bear in mind that 13+ is considered a "high" score in OD&D-land)...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by mjulius » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:21 pm

Re: Out Of Character

I've been churning the primordial ooze and it appears that a human magic-user is emerging!

STR 6 INT 15 WIS 9 CON 11 DEX 12 CHA 9

A few questions:

1. My starting purse appears to be 4x10 = 40 SP. The equipment image is no longer hosted via photobucket (http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=589). Is there a specific Hinterlands sheet or should I purchase from the Compendium?

2. I have 7 language / spells for my 15 INT. As I understand it I need to trade one of those languages for literacy so I'd like to generate six starting spells: http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=590

3. It appears that game posts have a second sidebar for meta conversations, positioning, etc. How do you do that?

Thanks for having me!

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:31 am

Re: Out Of Character

mjulius wrote:A few questions:

1. My starting purse appears to be 4x10 = 40 SP. The equipment image is no longer hosted via photobucket (http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=589). Is there a specific Hinterlands sheet or should I purchase from the Compendium?

2. I have 7 language / spells for my 15 INT. As I understand it I need to trade one of those languages for literacy so I'd like to generate six starting spells: http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=590

3. It appears that game posts have a second sidebar for meta conversations, positioning, etc. How do you do that?
1. Ability scores. You can select any of the seven stats as your starting purse. Yes, you could take the 4, and have 40 SP. Or your could, for example, select the first 9 (from the left) for your purse and have 90 SP. The other numbers would all move one place left, so that you'd then have STR 6, INT 15, WIS 11, CON 12, DEX 9, CHA 4. Just making sure you know you have this option.

1. Equipment list. Thanks for the heads up, re: the broken link. I'll fix that. In the meanwhile, there's no need to purchase anything. Go here and download the latest DD5 book 1 PDF (Oct 2016). The expanded equipment list is on p45.

2. Languages. Yes, literacy takes up one language, and is required for an M-U (unless we were to establish a non-written magic framework, but that's a much bigger ask). Remember, however, that the alignment language is not compulsory for M-Us (but is for clerics).

2. Spells. A M-U player has the option to write your own 1st level spell. Please PM me with your spell design; we'll work it through together. I'll will generate the remainder for you.

3. Posting. See here:
Hinterlands posting guidelines
and also here:
forum specific signatures

Hope that helps...

Post by mjulius » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:51 am

Ability scores. You can select any of the seven stats as your starting purse. Yes, you could take the 4, and have 40 SP. Or your could, for example, select the first 9 (from the left) for your purse and have 90 SP. The other numbers would all move one place left, so that you'd then have STR 6, INT 15, WIS 11, CON 12, DEX 9, CHA 4. Just making sure you know you have this option.
Yeah, I wiggled the numbers around a bit before I settled on those. Though I may have to amend that depending on the equipment list answer. Seven days food = 42 silver!
1. Equipment list. Thanks for the heads up, re: the broken link. I'll fix that. In the meanwhile, there's no need to purchase anything. Go here and download the latest DD5 book 1 PDF (Oct 2016). The expanded equipment list is on p45.
No need to purchase anything? I'm sorry, I guess I am confused. Otherwise, the equipment is listed in gp and my purse is silver. Does that mean that a dagger is 18 silver?
Please PM me with your spell design; we'll work it through together.
I'll have to think about that for a few. Given complete freedom, I'll look at my hands for a number of hours.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:35 am

My apologies, I thought you were asking whether you needed to purchase the DD4 compendium to get access to the equipment list.

With regard to the in game prices; Hinterlands uses a silver standard. So GP prices in the DD lists convert to SP prices in Hinterlands at 1:1. I.e., 5 GP (equipment list) = 5 SP (Hinterlands).

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 am

Mjulius, here we go.

With a 6 strength, you might consider whether your PC is very young, female, or some other explanation?

With 15 intelligence, you will know seven languages. The first will be the mother tongue of your race; as a human that will be Illiberal (a.k.a. the common tongue of men). As a M-U your second language is taken up with literacy (which, for simplicity, includes numeracy skills). I will need to know your alignment before I can determine the remaining five languages randomly.

A M-U with 15 intelligence will begin player with a spellbook and up to seven spells (and zero or more scrolls to make up seven spells). Your starting spellbook contains:
* Owynn's Perterbation
* The Effable Apperception
* The Bellicose Foment
* The Prepotent Capriole
* Trammel
* The Importune Congress
* Nimid's Excellent Deliquescence

I will PM you info about these spells.

I will also get you set up wtih a goldenrod character sheet to fill out...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 05, 2018 2:23 am

Mjulius, I have posted your PC sheet here.

You should also have received an email from Google inviting you to edit the sheet.

FWIW, you should be able to edit your PC sheet with any tools associated with your Google drive, and also directly inline here on the Hinterlands board.

Return to “Character Generation”