(050) The Heart of Woe

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:08 am

(050) The Heart of Woe

waysoftheearth wrote:
doctorx wrote:Josiane's eyes go wide at the appearance of the holy pearl. She gasps out her customary; "Goodness!"

She makes all haste to examine the sacred artefact to see if she can determine its nature.
All eyes are drawn to the prize Armando reveals; its glamour is subtle but potent... it is a weighty crystal sphere the size of a small pumpkin, the interior of which is filled with a gently swirling cloud bespeckled with golden motes that come of go most appealingly. The whole is mounted upon a low silver base wrought with religious sigils and meaning.

There is no doubt it is a thing of great worth, and Josiane thinks it surely must be one of the Sisters' greatest relics here. Could it be one of the legendary devices used for speaking with the Gods? Josiane dares not even think it!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 pm

(050) The Heart of Woe

mgtremaine wrote:
OOC: Onward to the front gate....
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:26 pm

(050) The Heart of Woe

danhem wrote:
Ulric's attention is immediately drawn to the glowing sphere. He studies it intently for a moment then speaks a warning.

"Cover it quickly Armando. That object has great power. Stow it and keep it safe."

Ulric thinks back to his research of ancient artifacts. Where had he read of such a sphere before?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 pm

(050) The Heart of Woe

doctorx wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote: All eyes are drawn to the prize Armando reveals; its glamour is subtle but potent... it is a weighty crystal sphere the size of a small pumpkin, the interior of which is filled with a gently swirling cloud bespeckled with golden motes that come of go most appealingly. The whole is mounted upon a low silver base wrought with religious sigils and meaning.

There is no doubt it is a thing of great worth, and Josiane thinks it surely must be one of the Sisters' greatest relics here. Could it be one of the legendary devices used for speaking with the Gods? Josiane dares not even think it!
Josiane drops to her knee and reverentially makes the sign of the Enigma before the artefact.

"This is a most holy item. We should make all haste to restore it to the Sisters in Ket - its return will more than effect the lifting of Lord Olaf's curse, I doubt not."

She frowns, that light flickering in her grey eyes again.

"Although it sits ill with me to abandon this place to the fiends who have wrought such blasphemy here, better they hold this ground than hold this artefact. Such power must not fall into the hands of the servants of Chaos. Under any circumstances."

She looks intently at the others.

"If you wish to continue in the search for further treasure I understand and will assist you to the best of my ability, but we must guard this above all. It is sacred."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 pm

(050) The Heart of Woe

tonneau wrote:
doctorx wrote:Josiane drops to her knee and reverentially makes the sign of the Enigma before the artefact.

"This is a most holy item. We should make all haste to restore it to the Sisters in Ket - its return will more than effect the lifting of Lord Olaf's curse, I doubt not."

She frowns, that light flickering in her grey eyes again.

"Although it sits ill with me to abandon this place to the fiends who have wrought such blasphemy here, better they hold this ground than hold this artefact. Such power must not fall into the hands of the servants of Chaos. Under any circumstances."

She looks intently at the others.

"If you wish to continue in the search for further treasure I understand and will assist you to the best of my ability, but we must guard this above all. It is sacred."
Gustave rolls his eyes as Josiane prostrates herself in the mud before the fancy rock. When she is done, he says "...and no doubt worth a fair coin I dare say", with a scheeming grin, "though - and I must admit to being only a dabbler in the lore of ancient relics - I would be bold enough to suggest this here is Olaf's debt in full".

"The question is, do we take this thing back now and fulfil our charter - or do we keep digging among these charred ruins for some nun's discarded underclothes - that is, unless you think the fair maidens here have a secret cache of contraband pipe weed or perchance a solid gold statue life-size statue of their matron that we missed?
", a brow flicks upward questioningly, "I for one am not so keen to dance with that fiend from the tar pit without good cause."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 am

(050) The Heart of Woe

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond shrugs, "So we leave the blighter in the abbey while we ransack, er, search the rest of the buildings. If that thing is as big as you all are saying, it isn't going to get out of that building without the rest of us knowing it. Even if the ball pays off our debt to the sisters, that leaves us with nothin' gained (aside from Olaf's health, of course). Just a few coins and some trinkets... Not even enough to fund this trip, much less pay our rent... Or have a bit of fun."

Desmond votes we stay. Check on the two what are supposed to be outside, then secure the front door while we do a bit more searching.

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:05 am

(050) The Heart of Woe

mgtremaine wrote:
Wen would nod in agreement with Desmond, whom he was actually following towards the gate before everyone stopped to see if Josiane was alright after she dropped to one knee. "Plenty of time to look through the items once we are safely away, for now we need to keep moving while we have the enemy on the run. Let us go gather our lost friends and give this place through going over. "
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 am

(050) The Heart of Woe

tonneau wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Desmond shrugs, "So we leave the blighter in the abbey while we ransack, er, search the rest of the buildings. If that thing is as big as you all are saying, it isn't going to get out of that building without the rest of us knowing it. Even if the ball pays off our debt to the sisters, that leaves us with nothin' gained (aside from Olaf's health, of course). Just a few coins and some trinkets... Not even enough to fund this trip, much less pay our rent... Or have a bit of fun."

Desmond votes we stay. Check on the two what are supposed to be outside, then secure the front door while we do a bit more searching.
"Ah", replies Gustave, "Well the wisdom of one head cannot compete with that of two: I cede to your council, my academically balanced hobbit."

"My sword is yours", he concludes with a deft bow, "...and I do hope we find a hidden winery at least.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 am

(050) The Heart of Woe

flightcommander wrote:
Armando nods respectfully to Josiane and Ulric and carefully re-wraps the artifact in its velvet shroud and bundles it safely into the pack at his side with the other relics, such as they are. He then turns to follow Wen and Desmond across the courtyard towards the front gate. On the way he approaches Ulric and, in conspiratorial tones, suggests the possibility of soliciting the pearly globe for occult guidance. "Master Wizard, what are your thought on this matter? Surely the artifact is of great value, yet €” to my knowledge, scrying is an arcane, not priestly endeavor. I confess to dubiety!"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:01 am

(050) The Heart of Woe

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote: Ulric thinks back to his research of ancient artifacts. Where had he read of such a sphere before?
{1d6=4} Ulric has read of potent artifacts for observing or communicating with others across long distances. Even across the planes of existence. By his keen acumen he divines the Sisters' relic to be one such device...

Return to “Hinterlands”