(042) Midday at the Manse

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 am

tonneau wrote:
Gustave, with Josiane's most facilitative pointers, makes the following purchases at the rather upmarket prices:
18 weeks trail rations @ 335sp
12 torches @ 16cp
2 hemp ropes @ 37cp
2 backpacks @ 5sp 2cp
5 sacks @ 20cp
5 flasks lantern oil @ 33sp 2 cp

for a total expenditure of 373sp 77cp or 451 sp (1 cp tip).

He weighs up Ulrics 4gp in his pocket and purses his lips...

"Err...Josiane?" he begins...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Market Place
(Gustave and Josiane)

Elsewhere in the market square, Gustave itemises his enormous list of supplies to a potential supplier. Josiane notes -- as Gustave checks off item after item, detailing particular preferences for each week's rations, cheeses to avoid, dried fruits and meats to favour -- that the merchant's stocks are looking rather low.

When Gustave is done, the harried fellow's eye lids and upper lip tick almost violently in frustration. "Does it looks likes I has the abundance of spring on mine shelves?" he asks, with a pronounced northern accent. "I mights has halved of zot you ask..." he tisks and scowls and bundles up the dregs of his stores in an attempt to fulfill Gustave's enormous request. "If you hasss thaz count in silver."

A casual glance about the square gives the impression that most of the vendors are likewise running low on goods, and most of the customers are not getting what they came for. In fact... it appears that a number of stalls are already vacant, and other merchants are already packing up their wares.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:The Jolly Noose
(Deiter and Olaf)

Moving through the market, the pair notice a lot of people complaining about rising prices, tightening belts, and unavailability of desired commodities...

When they step into the Jolly Noose, they immediately notice the place is virtually empty. Dans the thick-limbed, bald-headed barkeep broods over his bar idly, with a washcloth thrown over his shoulder. There are a couple of tables occupied by pairs of merchants who mutter amongst themselves in dire tones.

Apparently, business isn't going too well...

What now?
Olaf wants an ale and to ask Dans what the news is.

"Dans, give me an ale." Olaf says walking to the bar commenting as he waits for the barkeep to draw his drink, "Business seems slow in here. What's going on?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane has similar concerns to Olaf, and enquires of the market trader why goods are so scarce.

"Please don't forget the mule-feed," she adds to Gustave, too caught up in her own investigations to heed the pensive note creeping into the dashing fighter's voice...

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm

tonneau wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:
When Gustave is done, the harried fellow's eye lids and upper lip tick almost violently in frustration. "Does it looks likes I has the abundance of spring on mine shelves?" he asks, with a pronounced northern accent. "I mights has halved of zot you ask..." he tisks and scowls and bundles up the dregs of his stores in an attempt to fulfill Gustave's enormous request. "If you hasss thaz count in silver."
Gustave's fine brow stumbles, then recovers, at this insult, from a mere merchant who can barely speak.
"Are your questioning my word my dear merchant? Of course we have the silver," he says, turning slightly so that the sun gleams off his shinning and finely wrought armour (and his honey-coloured locks), "if you do not wish to sell, even at such exorbitant prices, then that is your wont. Indeed, the very insinuation is almost enough for me to take my business elsewhere! I'll tell you what, tell me what you can supply us with and I will give you half now, and the full amount upon delivery. Or you can hope for some other poor soul to show who wishes to purchase your entire stock", he finishes, only slightly flushed.

"The audacity..." he mutters under his breath, glancing up at the sky.
doctorx wrote: "Please don't forget the mule-feed," she adds to Gustave.
Gustave is reminded why he never married.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 am

coffee wrote:
eris wrote:
(Deiter and Olaf)

Moving through the market, the pair notice a lot of people complaining about rising prices, tightening belts, and unavailability of desired commodities...

When they step into the Jolly Noose, they immediately notice the place is virtually empty. Dans the thick-limbed, bald-headed barkeep broods over his bar idly, with a washcloth thrown over his shoulder. There are a couple of tables occupied by pairs of merchants who mutter amongst themselves in dire tones.

Apparently, business isn't going too well...

What now?
Olaf wants an ale and to ask Dans what the news is.

"Dans, give me an ale." Olaf says walking to the bar commenting as he waits for the barkeep to draw his drink, "Business seems slow in here. What's going on?"

Dieter slaps silver on the bar.

"Make it three," he says, shoving the coins across. "You'll join us, I hope?" He looks him in the eye, with one eyebrow raised.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 pm

eris wrote:
coffee wrote:
eris wrote: Olaf wants an ale and to ask Dans what the news is.

Dieter slaps silver on the bar.

"Make it three," he says, shoving the coins across. "You'll join us, I hope?" He looks him in the eye, with one eyebrow raised.
"Ha!" Olaf says and with a grin slaps another two silvers on the bar, and looks over at the two merchants talking quietly at the table, "Gentlemen merchants! We're in a generous mood today, it seems. Come! Let us buy you a pint of this good man's ale."

Olaf, still grinning, says, "It pays to be generous when the crowd is small."

"So, Dans...just why *is* the crowd so small today?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:00 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Jolly Noose
(Dieter and Olaf)

Dans squints a moment as the two burly warrior-types slap down their silver on his bar.

"You two again?" he says, recognition dawning on him only slowly. "Earned yourselves something of a reputation these past few weeks, is what I hear."

He starts pulling out tankards and opening his taps.

"Short a few friends though, I can't help but see," he raises an eyebrow, "I hope the rest of them over-enthusiastic sorts didn't come to no good?"

When the first two tankards are brimming with frothing ale he pushes them toward Dieter and Olaf, and begins pulling another pair for the merchants, who cautiously remain at their table but are certainly listening to the conversation and keeping an eye on the drinks that might grace their lips.

"Business is short, that's for sure," explains Hans. "The hinterlands passes seem overrun with brigands and raiders so an honest man can't get a caravan safely to Ket. Not without using the high road and paying off the sentries at their stockades, leastwise. And they're taking more than a business man can reasonably pay."

"Thrice what's fair," interjects one of the merchants, sourly.

"Four times, I say." corrects the other with a scowl.

"Not that it seems to have affected the Snorks any," scowls Dans, indicating the competition with a angle of his head as he pushes the fresh tankards across the bar.

Dieter and Olaf look in the direction of his shrug, out the open front window and across the market square to the Execution's Axe.

The tavern on the opposite side of the market is a thriving racket, packed to the rafters with plump, well dressed Snork merchants smoking fat cigars, drinking hug jugs of ale, laughing, carousing and fawning at the grotesquely under-dressed and over-fed Goblin girls dancing on their tables and leaping about, all but teasing the patrons.

"It's a disgrace," mutters the first merchant, shaking his head...

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Market Place
(Gustave and Josiane)

The trader looks Gustave and Josiane over suspiciously, very probably searching for any evidence of a fat purse and finding none, as he packs up virtually everything he has remaining (half of what Gustave requested).

"I ams not a fools, Szir, and ams not in ze habit ofv creditinkg total starangerzzz," he remarks pointedly.

"If Szir hast 230 silver shillinkgs, he is most welcome to purrrchase mine stores,"

To Josiane he explains "Tha hinterlandsz are filled viz bandits and trollszz, and none mercherts has arrived in Ket for weeks. Goodts are becoming scarrsssse,"

The pair look around the market place. What the merchant says is true... the usually packed stalls are all but bare. In fact, barring the ruckus bursting from the Goblin-filled Executioner's Axe ale house, the market seems much deflated.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:07 pm

eris wrote:
(Dieter and Olaf)

Dans squints a moment as the two burly warrior-types slap down their silver on his bar.

"You two again?" he says, recognition dawning on him only slowly. "Earned yourselves something of a reputation these past few weeks, is what I hear."

He starts pulling out tankards and opening his taps.

"Short a few friends though, I can't help but see," he raises an eyebrow, "I hope the rest of them over-enthusiastic sorts didn't come to no good?"
"Some did, some didn't." Olaf says, "I'll tell you we lost some good men and women fighting bandits out there, Dans."
When the first two tankards are brimming with frothing ale he pushes them toward Dieter and Olaf, and begins pulling another pair for the merchants, who cautiously remain at their table but are certainly listening to the conversation and keeping an eye on the drinks that might grace their lips.
"Thanks." Olaf takes a sip, "Ah! Tastes good."
"Business is short, that's for sure," explains Hans. "The hinterlands passes seem overrun with brigands and raiders so an honest man can't get a caravan safely to Ket. Not without using the high road and paying off the sentries at their stockades, leastwise. And they're taking more than a business man can reasonably pay."

"Thrice what's fair," interjects one of the merchants, sourly.

"Four times, I say." corrects the other with a scowl.

"Not that it seems to have affected the Snorks any," scowls Dans, indicating the competition with a angle of his head as he pushes the fresh tankards across the bar.

Dieter and Olaf look in the direction of his shrug, out the open front window and across the market square to the Execution's Axe.

The tavern on the opposite side of the market is a thriving racket, packed to the rafters with plump, well dressed Snork merchants smoking fat cigars, drinking hug jugs of ale, laughing, carousing and fawning at the grotesquely under-dressed and over-fed Goblin girls dancing on their tables and leaping about, all but teasing the patrons.

"It's a disgrace," mutters the first merchant, shaking his head...
"Yeah." Olaf agrees nodding, "Something ought to be done about it, too. About the bandits and brigands, I mean. A town's life blood is trade and if the caravans aren't getting in, or out, that'll strangle the life right out of Ket."

"Of course, it does look like the Snorks are doing well." Olaf comments, "Are they bringing goods in safely?"

Return to “Hinterlands”