(089) Moonlight Backtrack

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Eris » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Re: (089) Moonlight Backtrack

Freid does go through his bags and pack looking for: 1) rations and water, 2) a way to get food and/or water (string for snares or fishhooks), and 3) ways to light fire.

"Last we knew Ket was controlled by Snorks. They won't be friendly." Freid says, "And I think the outer farms might have been raided to ruin by the Snorks and their friends, too."

"I don't know if Ket is our best bet. Manfried's Camp may be where we should try to go. If we could find it."
Freid doesn't expect to find much useful, but he didn't ditch all his rations or his waterskin nor his tinderbox.

Time of year is interesting. Wasn't it early spring when we started out to the mountains? I'm feeling it's fall now, not spring, is this right?
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Zem requires little convincing to paw thru the gold coins in his pack. He does check on the other things but since he tossed aside much of his equipped he mostly finds gold.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by coffee » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Karl likewise searches through his gear, noting what is and is not present.

Yet as he does so, he still keeps one eye on the party's surroundings; it wouldn't do to be surprised in such circumstances!
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:15 am

Per their recent eerie decampment, the company find themselves strangely bereft of their usual gear. Aside from very worn and grubby shirts, hose, and smalls, the company have the following possessions:

Zem has his axe, and his pack full of gold upon his shoulders. But that is all he has with him.

Karl's has his mail and his trusty sword.

Fried is carrying his sword and shield, but nothing more.

Leudigar has the silvered Bleakmass blade and his horsebow (with half a dozen arrows) in its holster.

There are no packs or supplies or other gear between them all.
Note that you've already cashed in the XP for bringing the treasure haul back to "civilisation" (frosty though it was). You have a pack full of gold to get geared up again... you just need to find somewhere to spend it. And food and water.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by coffee » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:58 pm

"First thing we need is water," Karl says. "I say we head down slope and try to find a stream."
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Leudigar nods in agreement. "And maybe there we can find a source of food, as well..."

Leudigar actively searches for water or a water source as they make their way in the direction of Ket.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Eris » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Freid joins the others in the trek. He also looks for water and any sort of food sources. Is Freid going to be able to recognize any sort of eatable plants?

When the groups go over rises Freid stops and scans the horizon in all directions each time before moving along looking for buildings or smoke that might be coming from chimneys in the distance.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Leudigar leads the hungry company off at a brisk pace. Zem the dwarf is burdened by his heavy pack of gold, and it quickly become apparent that he will be holding everyone else back. On the upside, it gives the longer limbed men ample time to forage for water sources and anything that might be edible.

Water is not difficult to find; they pass small pools and trickling brooks almost hourly. But food is another matter. Although Leudigar is adept at identifying edibles along the way; these meagre findings make for scant rations. The best hope of a decent feed seems to be in shooting or trapping some of the hares that seem to populate the plain. Unfortunately, these are skittish in the extreme, and dart off at even the slightest hint of risk. As the sun approaches its zenith on this mild day, there is no sign of civilisation, and everyone is feeling a mighty hunger. Zem in particular is flustered for bearing all the load and pushing hard to keep pace with the men...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Eris » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:38 pm

"Zem, can I wear your pack for a bit this afternoon?" Freid asks, "That'll give you a break. I'd move some over to me longer term but I don't seem to have a pack anymore."

Post by mgtremaine » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:29 pm

Zem would keep his slow, grim pace with a stoicism that says it all."Gold" he would breath and keep going. When Freid offers to carry the pack Zem would scratch his beard and pause. "I suppose or we could divide things up a bit."
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”