(088) The Undervaults

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Re: (088) The Undervaults

Master Boggs the expert mouser creeps down the short passage to the corner and cocks his head as he listens a moment... hearing nothing more specific than the usual, distant moans and scratchings of the Underworld, he proceeds around the left-hand corner, and sees:

Stretching out before him is a long, troubled passage way. Not too far ahead on the right-hand side the passage wall is breached, leaving a 20ft or so wide opening into some unknown space from whence comes the faintest hint of illumination. Farther up the passage, at the reach of his sight, he dimly sees a door to the left-hand side, and that calamity again afflicts the stonework. It's too dark that far up to see exactly what the mess of fallen stones is about...
Boggs' lisenting check: 1d6=?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Boggs beckons for his friends to join him. "I think I see light ahead of us on the right. Might be a way out of here?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 am

Brother Walfried advances to join Boggs.

"If you think it might be a way out, by all means, let's go."

Walfried then advances, though cautiously, to the breach on the right.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:37 pm

Boggs applies his stone-sense toward determining the cause of the breach in the passage. He is alert to signs of imminent cave-in or collapse.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 am

Boggs and Walfried advance the breach, where Boggs considers it a moment. It appears to him the passage has been "dug out" by primitives. There's no dressing the stone, and barely any tidying of the broad "portal" the so-called craftsmen have created. It's embarrassing.

Beyond the wide breach, the pair see and immediate Y fork into a natural-looking tunnel. neither goes very far before opening out into a broad, and faintly lit, natural cavern.

40-50ft ahead in the main passage, Boggs can clearly see there has been some kind of collapse; there are stones piled and littered along the right-hand side of the passage way. On the left side he can now see there a in fact two doors, and the passage run yet further into darkness...
Apologies team; I realised I muddled the directions in my last post. I have now corrected it and all follow-on references from it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by acodispo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Walfried squints, trying to figure out where the light is coming from. Is it natural? Torch light? Something else?
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Boggs stands at the breach and watches the flickering light of his candle. Does the flame dance, indicating a fresh breeze from any particular direction? The dwarf strokes his beard, tisk-tisks at the crude stonework, and ponders which way to go next. Give me a sign, dungeon. Give me a sign...
If nobody has a better idea, my vote is to explore the natural cavern...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 am

Boggs and Walfried ponder their position.

Walfried reckons the orange glow from hither must be torchlight, or similar, but not sunlight. Moreover, it was darkness night when they descended into the pits; surely the dawn cannot have come yet? Meanwhile Boggs observes his own flame to dance merrily, but not favour any one direction over another. There is hardly a breath of air to guide him here...

Post by acodispo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm

"Torches mean habitation," Walfried whispers, "but by whom? Let's proceed cautiously into that cavern."

Walfried steps through the breach in the passage wall, then examines the floor of the natural-looking tunnel.

Both branches of the tunnel seem to lead to the same lit cavern?
Does the floor on one or the other look more or less stable?

Assuming he sees nothing to be concerned about, Walfried will head down the right-hand passage, then peer into the lit cavern from the end of it.

Post by mushgnome » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Toward the light, then. Boggs follows Walfried and keeps an eye out for vermin.

Return to “Hinterlands”