(002) To the Ruins!


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 am

(002) To the Ruins!

waysoftheearth wrote:
With packs and weaponry stowed, Victor, Rodrick, Anwyn, Mads, Ulric, Olaf, Caine and Dieter depart Ket as unobtrusively as any armed party is able. Little doubt remains that numerous eyes noted your passing, not least among them the guards stationed at the side gate, who granted you a gruff "Godspeed.".

You begin your march southward in the early afternoon. The sky is thatched with dark clouds running ahead of a pushy breeze, only intermittently revealing glimpses of blue air and sunshine.

The terrain about is mostly good going; an undulating plain of coarse but sparse bristles and grasses whipping about in the wind. There is naught but the gentle swell of low ridges and shallow gullies for cover, and you spot few signs of any game. Looking back toward Ket, it is apparent that the ground is rising gradually as you progress. On the far horizon out to your left you glipse the craggy haze of the Hinterlands, while to your right looms the everpresent shadow of the Elderbough Forest.

You are almost an hour gone out of Ket when Anwyn, with her sharp Elvish eyes, declares, "Those must be the ruins, ahead,", and Olaf is soon in agreement. Half an hour more is behind you before the rest of are certain you can make out the destination, but as the day's light is beginning to wain in the west, you can clearly see a crumbling fortification atop a raised hillock. It seems almost aglow as golden shafts of light catch its walls while the lands about it begin to recede into evening shadow.

Dusk is probably an hour or so away, and the air is beginning to chill. You suspect the night will be cool if not cold, and there is an even chance of drizzle or rain. There is nothing in particular to recommend your present location -- nor any you have seen all afternoon -- as a campsite.

Gentlemen, I require a marching order, and your plans for the remainder of the day.

Caine, you are fatigued and footsore. You will not be able to maintain this pace tomorrow unless you lighten your load.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

makofan wrote:
Caine wonders if he caches his crowbar and torches at their campsite if that would be enough
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:34 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

billhooks wrote:
Victor:
1. can pick up some of Caine's load for the time being -- maybe the crowbar and grappling hook.
2. suggests going on to the ruins by night -- "may not be safe, exactly, but at least we'll have a roof over our heads."
3.suggests some variation of the following marching order:

Victor * Roderick * Olaf
Anwyn * Ulric * Caine
Dieter * Mads

For scouting purposes, Caine or Anwyn can be sent ahead of the party 30 feet or so; or, in a wilderness context, they can rove even farther.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:41 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

makofan wrote:
Caine is willing to be a scout
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

eris wrote:
makofan wrote:Caine wonders if he caches his crowbar and torches at their campsite if that would be enough

Olaf says, "Caine, I can stow your torches with mine if you want, no reason for both of us to be carrying them out here in the open."

Olaf is walking with his bow in hand, quiver of arrows at his left hip and sword sheathed at his right. He turns and looks to the rear, standing for a few seconds each time scanning for movement, from time to time...just to make sure the group isn't being followed. He also looks for the group's trail left in the grasses. If he sees the trail he'll comment on it to the others...

"We are leaving a trail a nonce could follow. I sure hope no brigands take it upon themselves to do so."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:12 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

eris wrote:
billhooks wrote:Victor:
1. can pick up some of Caine's load for the time being -- maybe the crowbar and grappling hook.
2. suggests going on to the ruins by night -- "may not be safe, exactly, but at least we'll have a roof over our heads."
3.suggests some variation of the following marching order:

Victor * Roderick * Olaf
Anwyn * Ulric * Caine
Dieter * Mads

For scouting purposes, Caine or Anwyn can be sent ahead of the party 30 feet or so; or, in a wilderness context, they can rove even farther.

I've no objection to your marching order, but Olaf will peel off to the side and stand watching the rear and sides from time to time, though, before moving back to the fore. Olaf has good eyes and he is tall, so it makes sense for him to keep watch for anyone trailing the party.

I don't like the idea of marching on to the ruins in the dark, though. The ruins might be occupied, and a fight in the dark while we are tired is not a good idea.

I'd rather we find a hollow in the rolling plain, march on for a hundred yards or so, then loop back to the hollow to make a cold, dark, camp. If we are being tracked, and I wouldn't doubt we are, they might pass us by in the dark as they follow our trail. This would allow us to ambush them.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

tombowings wrote:
"No matter where we sleep, I suggest two-man watches."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:49 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

billhooks wrote:
Olaf seems like Mister Outdoors, so Victor assents to his plan.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:01 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

eris wrote:
tombowings wrote:"No matter where we sleep, I suggest two-man watches."

Olaf nods, "I agree, two-man watches...with our sharpest night eyes on the darkest watches."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:08 pm

(002) To the Ruins!

eris wrote:
billhooks wrote:Olaf seems like Mister Outdoors, so Victor assents to his plan.

OOC: That's just the DM in me thinking, "What better way to bloody these guys than to hit them the first night with goblins following their trail from the town!"

If we do go with the "loop-back" plan, Olaf will do his best to obscure the return trail after the party loops back.

I think the best place to camp would be in a low gully up on the side of a hill where the party can overlook their trail passing below them. That's what Olaf will be looking for as the afternoon shadows begin to stretch out and the sun approaches the tops of the trees to the west.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
Next

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software