(085) Guests at An Umost

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:52 am

Re: (085) Guests at An Umost

Time in confinement drags on. The elves keep our four fed and unmolested, but bored and uninformed. The time in confinement drags on into days with no news of what might be transpiring in the wider world. And days...
Okay folks, I'm thinking that this stop over can count as an unconventional town time. You have successfully, if awkwardly, returned the loot to a "safe" location. Yes, your are currently limited to resting up, but it's not like you're at risk of being jumped by a wandering monster.

So while we wait for the elves to decide what to do next, we might as well figure out how much XP your haul was worth. Somebody could have their PC daydream about the loot in order to remind me what the total was...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:24 pm

waysoftheearth wrote: So while we wait for the elves to decide what to do next, we might as well figure out how much XP your haul was worth. Somebody could have their PC daydream about the loot in order to remind me what the total was...
I suspect Zem knows the loot down to the penny... It's a dwarf thing. :lol:

The relative posts are here http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... 275#p27275 and then

here http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... 289#p27289

From there we should be able to make the list of what we took.
I was carry 30lbs of GOLD and 5lbs of Silver. I can look over everyones in a bit and come up with the list.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Eris » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote: So while we wait for the elves to decide what to do next, we might as well figure out how much XP your haul was worth. Somebody could have their PC daydream about the loot in order to remind me what the total was...
I suspect Zem knows the loot down to the penny... It's a dwarf thing. :lol:
While we're stuck in the cells, Manfreid will see about collecting a few bones from our meals, pieces of wood, or tear some pieces of cloth from his clothes. He'll cut, inscribe, rub or draw signs with on on his markers in any way he can figure out, up to and including a few drops of blood. He's making dice, or something similar, so the small bored group can eventually play some sort of dicing, matching or other games. He's doing this for a couple of reasons: A. to relieve the boredom while making the pieces and afterwards by playing with them and B. even Elves play games and gamble...so, we'll see if Freid can accomplish either, relieving the boredom and interesting some of the Elves.

Freid will let Zem figure out what the loot amounted to.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:18 am

Zem mumbles to himself about"sparkling jewelry arranged over the statues." About "a coat of glittering mail and rings and cups set with gemstones, small chests that are themselves glamorous and piled full with silver and gold"."Our poor treasure haul lads. To think the Elves have taken what they didn't earn."
The hoard was described as

There are two long and gem encrusted necklaces draped over statue necks, either of which must be worth a dazzling amount--or at least, a good deal more than the ranger has ever possessed. Next, there are a dozen other silver and gold objects featuring gem stones in their craft; cups, plates, the two medusa rings, brackets, a candle snuffer and so on. There is also the coat of shiny mail, and then there are some hundreds of gold coins and some thousands of silver coins spilling out of their clay pots...

Fried: one medusa ring.
Leudigar: one medusa ring.

Then leudigar was decribed as "takes his two large sacks and stuffs one with as much of the remaining jewelry and items (cups, plates, brackets, candle snuffer, etc.) as it can hold."

Then the final gathering was like so...

Leudigar gathers the 12 lb of valuables and 5 lbs of silver.

Zem stuffs 20 lbs of gold into his pack, and another 10 lb of gold and 5 lb of silver into one of Leudigar's sacks. He gives the dwarfish grunt for "Fully loaded".

Fried is wearing the silver mail. He empties the whetstone, tinderbox, 5 sp and 1 cp out of his small sack, so that he can carry 5 lbs of silver. His pack remains loaded with 30 lb of food, spare torches, iron spikes, rope, and a grapple.

Karl loads up his pack and purse with 24 lbs of silver.

In Total that was
30LBS of GOLD
39LBS of Silver
12LBS Of Jewelry
1 Silver Mail
2 Rings

That does not include the Bleakmass gifts we all picked up.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by coffee » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't recall if Karl picked up a Bleakmas gift or not.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 pm

coffee wrote:I don't recall if Karl picked up a Bleakmas gift or not.
Doesn't look like it... Here was the last pick list from that section.
ehiker133 wrote:
  1. A pig-iron, boar-tusk faced helm (resting on Freid's head),
  2. A black buckler-shield with white Bleakmass Tree emblem (strapped to Arian's arm),
  3. 19 black-feathered goblin arrows in a Hessian wrap, (lashed to Freid's pack)
  4. A pewter pint-mug styled as a hobgoblin head (stuffed in Zem's pack),
  5. A ring of intertwined iron and silver serpents (shoved in Dopey's pocket),
  6. A traveller's Bleakmass prayer book (digest-sized, 2in thick, black leather),
  7. A black vellum scroll inside an olde bone-scroll tube, (clutched in Kianna's left hand)
  8. A withered claw back-backscratcher, which might once have been a goblin arm,
  9. A gnarled wood walking staff; the top carved as a woeful bald head, (held tight in Faengol's grasp)
  10. A silvered sword with small stones in the hilt (hanging off Leudigar's hip on a belt cut in the shape of a sword),
  11. A cleaver-shaped, pig-iron sword with a goblin-faced basket hilt (sheathed and encircling Freid's girth),
  12. A strip of leather cut into the shape of a sword; its "hilt" a belt buckle. (cinched around Leudigar's waist)
Again, don't forget to update your character sheet with the item(s) you take. It does not appear anyone's character sheet (aside from Leudigar's) has been updated yet.
There was a few other small pouches of coins from some of the battles and a few Rings and the Dagger from the Anti-Hero goblin that Leudigar was also carrying. I can go through the threads a bit later and try to tally that. We killed a lot of stuff!!

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Monster Kills Summary - 2nd Expedition

MONSTERS (Thread #)
  • Hobgoblin GateWaden (24188)
  • 11* Hobgoblins - The Refectory Ambush (24365)
  • 1 Goblin /1 Hobgoblin / 1 Bugbear (24499)
    PARTY SPLIT HOBBIT
  • 6 Hobgoblins / 1 Bugbear - Drop Wall Ambush (24648)
    PARTY SPLIT GNOME
  • 5 Goblins / 3 Hobgoblins (24626)
  • 1 Goblin (Wood gatherer) (24879)
  • 1 Goblin / 1 Hobgoblin Alarm Rung (24906)
  • 8 Hobgoblins / 1 Hobgoblin Sergeant - Tunnel pursit (25276)
  • Goblin Anti-Hero (25508)
    PARTY REJOIN
  • 2 Seers / 8 Skeletons (25612)
  • 6 Zombies (26007)
  • 5 Headed-Hydra (26142) (Note the escaped Seer was killed here)
  • 9 Cultists (26608)
  • 2 Medeusa (26946)
*1 Hobgoblin escaped (24427)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:08 pm

That's an epic kill list; thanks Mgtremaine. Makes me feel half guilty that so little was gained for all that slog. Looking back at my maps, I'm seeing missed treasure all over it. E.g., in the most recent dungeon section (the hags/undead/hydra/medusa level) you found one of four treasures that came within sniffing distance. The Churchcroft mission is currently two from four. I'm just wondering if the pbp format is making it that much harder than usual? Hmmm.

Anyways. For the loot you did recover, Fried and Leudigar are still wearing the medusa rings, Fried is still wearing the mail.

30 lbs of gold coins = 30x24 = 720 gp = 4,320 XP
39 lbs of Silver = 39x24 = 936 sp (minus, say 4d20=38 coins lost when the elves captured you) = 898 sp = 898 XP
12 lbs of valuables, including:
Two long and gem encrusted necklaces worth 1,100 and 800 sp, total 1,900 sp = 1,900 XP
A dozen other silver and gold objects featuring gem stones in their craft; cups, plates, the two medusa rings, brackets, a candle snuffer and so on.
Three objects worth 10 sp each, five objects worth 100 sp each, and four objects worth 300 sp each (the medusa rings are worth 100 sp each). Total value = 1,730 sp = 1,730 XP
The bleakmass gifts were mainly useful or interesting rather than valuable. They can be worth 50 XP each.

So that's a haul of 4320+898+1900+1730 = 8,848 XP. One of the bigger prizes to date, I'm pretty sure.

If you want to divide that even between four survivors, it comes to 2,212 XP per share (+50 XP if you picked up a bleakmass present). Remembering the rings and the mail.

Ding! That would mean all four characters achieve 2nd level. And certainly earned the hard way too...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Yes the monster kill lists is epic, by LBB XP rules that list is 8K-ish xp also.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Leudigar also had a very well made long knife that was pulled from the goblin chieftain. I don't know if that was magical or not or if he still has it (if they let them keep their daggers to use as eating implements, as might be the fashion).

Leudigar had a silvered sword from the Bleakmass Holiday.

We missed 3 of 4 loot spots re: the hag/hydra?? I don't know. I always THINK I read the details carefully, and I'm always surprised when we end our sessions with such little treasure. And that seems to be consistent throughout the Hinterlands games. So... either a) Sorry, WOTE, but you've recruited a bunch of dolts, b) your method of treasure location doesn't work well in the PbP format, or c) we simply haven't picked up on your method of treasure location.

But it seems significant to me that we consistently miss a majority of available treasures. I don't ever think I'm just rushing past things, but I do see some characters that tend to kill and never take the time to search for anything. I think it needs to be addressed. For starters, maybe it would be good if all characters searched for treasure after a fight, even if it might go against your character's idiom. More eyes means more chances of finding stuff.

And maybe of accidentally typing just the right thing that helps to make a character do something to locate a trove. Some things I'm not sure how we could have found if it wasn't for pure dumb luck, like Highbough's Ire Spear, which was just an ordinary looking spear in a rack of spears and Highbough happened to have the luck of drawing the right one. But if there is something we can do to improve our treasure scoring, we need to do it.

Would it be helpful if we had some specific examples of where we missed treasure and what treasure was missed? We can just consider them gone now (collected by friends of the dead who knew where they were) if you want, WOTE, but maybe we just need a better idea of what you think is logical treasure placement vs what we think it is.

I would be the first to admit it is somewhat frustrating to constantly leave dungeons with what seems like a pittance of treasure and very minimal magical items. Like the goblin chieftain, for example. I suspect something was missed there, right? He had to have more than just a quality dagger on him and a few coins. But I'd also love to know what was missed at the hydra/medusa location. Was it just a room we'd not gone into yet? Or was it something so obvious we didn't think of it? Or was it something so obscure we would have NEVER thought to examine it more closely?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”