Page 8 of 37

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:18 pm
by sully
Chiron holds his lantern high, obviously interested in the boat.

I've heard tell of cultures where they bury the dead in boats, to speed their passage to the afterlife. I wonder if this is just an elaborate coffin? Anyone want to climb in and find out?

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm
by flightcommander
Morin also raises his lantern high to cast light onto the boat. Is he tall enough to see over the railings into it?

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 am
by waysoftheearth
The company enter the boat room and secure the area.

Walfried move around the boat to listen at the far door; Orim the nearer. Neither detect any obvious sound above their own fellows moving about and talking in hushed tones.

Morin can peer right into the unfinished boat; Boggs has to step up onto a part of the base supporting it to see that the cradle of boat is about half complete. There is an old carpenter's hammer, a few loose nails and spacing wedges littered within, as well as clear evidence that vermin frequent the boat regularly. Boggs wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of rats hiding in the gap between the hull and the floor right now...
Listening checks 2d6=?, ?

Monster check 1d6=?

That concludes turn three.

Orders for turn four?

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:45 am
by The Red Baron
Mero circles the boat to the near door, keeping his eyes fixed on it and his shield raised towards it (it being the boat).

When he reaches the other side he tries his weight against the door.

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:01 am
by waysoftheearth
Mero rather easily forces the nearer door (being roughly in the middle of the wall opposite his entry into this room) with his shoulder.

It appears the door opens into the crook of an L-shaped passage, so that there are two routes; ahead and left. Ahead, the passage runs 40-50ft to a left turn. To the left, the passage traverses 50-60ft before coming to another door. All is cool and quiet. And dark...
Force door check: 1d6=6!

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:38 am
by mushgnome
Boggs warns: "Be careful, the boat is infested! If the vermin were hostile, they probably would have attacked immediately. But still, nobody should be alone in this room. Hungry rats have been known to attack stragglers. This boat is a good find. I wonder if it means we are near an underground body of water? We can salvage this wood if we need to build a fire, board up a door, or cross a pit. I'd say we should take the hammer, nails, and other tools, except I'm not convinced it's safe to set foot inside the boat just yet. All this talk of burial rites has me worried about the undead."

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 am
by The Red Baron
"I say we give them a proper viking funeral," suggests Mero looking meaningfully at the hireling's torch.

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:55 am
by flightcommander
Morin eyes the boat ... for later. "The main hallway behind us must reach its end shortly; I suggest we continue to explore that first before following these other passages."

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:59 am
by merias
Orim eyes the boat warily.

Didn't realize the door Orim was at had been opened already, edited to remove that action.

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm
by acodispo
"Somebody back me up," says Brother Walfried to those near him. Then he puts his shoulder into the door he's been listening at, attempting to force it open.