(084) The Churchcroft Cellar


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 585

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Walfried looks to Mero and points between himself & the fighting man, back and forth, then at the door.

He mouths: "On three."

Assuming the fighting man gives some positive response, Walfried counts from one to three with his gloved fingers & then puts his shoulder into the door in concert with the other.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16481

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Mero and Brother Walfied put their shoulders to it simultaneously... WHUMP! but to no avail. That is one stubborn door. Could it have held fast like this for years?
Door check 2d6=4,2

One more shot at it...?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 585

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Walfried motions for one of the Boggsmen in the 2nd rank to join in the attempt, and once all three shoulders are ready, he counts: one, two, THREE!
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16481

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

There is only room for two men to barge the door at once, so Mero and Brother Walfried give it their all... CRASH! This time the old door gives way, and all at once the two men tumble awkwardly into the room beyond!
2d6=4,5
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16481

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

As torchlight floods in behind them, Mero and Walfried recover to see the chamber within is roughly 40ft broad and deep. The old stone floor is deeply graven with a circular markings... In the center of these patterns (and the room) is what appears to be a great sundial comprising a 3ft high stone dais, and a 10ft circular dial. There are two other portals; one to the left, and one to the right.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 585

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Brother Walfried moves cautiously into the room, skirting around the wall to the left portal. He tries not to touch the patterns on the floor. He looks at the ceiling.
waysoftheearth wrote:There are two other portals; one to the left, and one to the right.

Closed doors? Or portals as in open archways?
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 393

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:33 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

"Errr...nice work. Boys" says Lemmi, as the fighters extract themselves from the pile of broken door-bits.

She steps lightly over the threshold and casts a discerning eye to the 'sundial'. "What say you Mr Boggs?"
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:33 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron pushes his way through to observe the room.

He looks to see which way the "sundial" is pointing, and if there's any light source in the room to illuminate it.


Is it one radial pattern or multiple patterns?
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 217

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

"Why go to the trouble of building a sundial underground?" asks Mero, pulling splinters from his arm. He looks up at the ceiling, to search for an open shaft leading up to the surface. If the ceilings are low enough, he prods around with his spear.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron replies, The obvious answer is that, despite appearances to the contrary, it is not a sundial. Even so, we still need to determine its modus operandi and whether it behooves us to activate it.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software