(084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Tonneau » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:06 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

sully wrote:Chiron says, Also note that I have a spell that can tip the balance of a group's reaction toward being a little more friendly... but I'd need to cast it right as we encounter them.
"I know nothin' 'o yer spells, wizard, but if they be seein' more'n one o'us when I open this 'ere door, them's likely to fall into suspsishun, if you know what I mean", says Lemmi.

She leaves that hanging, as if the answer is self evident, then adds, "If yez bein' ready then?"

She moves to the door cautiously, and casts an eye over her shoulder, awaiting the others to prepare themselves out of view.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Chiron sighs.

Yes, my diminutive friend, that's the point. My spell would negate any suspicion they may be feeling upon viewing our sizable party, and would predispose them to be friendly to us.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by acodispo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Brother Walfried nods, indicating he approves of the plan. He moves into a position for ambush, as quietly as possible -- not very possible in armor, but he does his best.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 pm

sully wrote:Chiron sighs.

Yes, my diminutive friend, that's the point. My spell would negate any suspicion they may be feeling upon viewing our sizable party, and would predispose them to be friendly to us.
"Who's dimi'tive" mouths Lemmi silently at the wizard.

She rolls her eyes in exasperation then opens the door, testing the handle carefully first to ensure it will indeed, open.
doors having a bad reputation around these parts. This one...?
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:31 pm

The full company, torch light and all, set themselves Lemmi tests the door handle... to find that it plays easily in her deft hand, so she turns it firmly and pushes the door inward! There are a crowd of Neanderthals within clustered about a piteous candle flame; they look about suddenly as torchlight floods into the dark room from the new breach.
Door check 1d6=5

The all important surprise check. Have the players surprised the NPCs? 1d6=6! Yes, they have.

Well then, how many cave-dwellers are present? The basic number of table 1 monsters on dungeon level 1 is 1-6, but with a company 7 players, we get thrice as many, so there will be 3-18 of them: 3d6=3,4,3 so there are in fact 10 of them.

Okay team; at this point I require your orders for the forth coming surprise segment.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:50 am

"Gentl'men" announces Lemmi in her bestest stage voice (as much as this can be effected in cave speak), "T'sa a sincere pleasha to find yerselves in this 'ere deposit'ry."

She allows herself a coy curtsy by way of introduction, then continues "I be all by mi lonesom' and 'opin to find some protective gents 'bout the place and well...'ere y'are"

"Wot'cya all say to a bit of an alliance, so ta speak?"

She grins broadly. Hopefully...
Lemmi assesses the response of the cave men to her appearance and speech. If things look to be going awry (or if others behind her decide to charge into the fray), she will dive aside and let the fighting types use more direct diplomacy

Post by acodispo » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Brother Walfried, though none too good at hiding, figures if he keeps a wall between himself & the enemy that they'll have trouble seeing him. He keeps to one side of the doorway, hammer ready, squeezing his large frame as much as he can in order to make room for his comrades to keep themselves out of sight as well.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by merias » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:31 am

Orim tenses, but holds action, waiting to see the results of Lemmi's attempt at parley.
Aldbane the Cleric (Level 5 MV 6" AC 2/3 HD 4 HP 18) plate +1, shield+2, helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing

Post by mushgnome » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:24 am

Boggs gestures for his men to stay out of sight as much as possible.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:12 am

Okay, so I take it Lemmi will use the surprise round to deliver her "proposal" while everyone else attempts to stay out of sight. So it shall be written...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”