(084) The Churchcroft Cellar


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16348

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The Lair

The dragon's lair is a large diamond/octagonal shaped chamber, almost 150ft wide. The central part is dimly illuminated by a faint bluish light that filters down from a wide chimney that soars overhead; the perimeter area is deeply shadowed. There is a "ring" of about dozen stout columns supporting the high ceiling that angles steeply up toward a the central chimney funnel. The columns seem to almost separate the lit and unlit portions of the chamber.

Directly below the funnel, in the center of the room, there is a 40ft broad, diamond shaped pit. It is about 40-ish feet deep, with a very narrow stair curling down around its walls. At the bottom of this pit is Lemmi, picking over the dragon's hoard.

Boggs sidles quickly down the pit-stair to reach the floor, as Morin reaches the lip of the pit, above them. In this time, the rest of the group--the dragon slayers! Chiron, Walfried, and Anton--make their way from the boat room back to the lair. As they arrive they see Morin already at the lip of the pit in the middle of the chamber...
For the record:
* Anton is the only survivor of the six original Boggsmen.
* Both M&T and DD4 have: Dragons: Number Appearing: 1-4.

So. For simplicity I'm assuming that everyone is now converging on the lair.

Lemmi, already at the hoard, has another pick of the loot before Boggs joins her. We'll revert to dungeon exploration time while I roll up the precise inventory for the loot.

In the meanwhile, what are your orders for this turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1163

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:34 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron holds the torch over the pit and looks down to see who's still alive.

The dragon is dead but who knows what else is coming. We've made quite a racket. Let's load up with the best of the loot and get out of here!

Chiron keeps watch in the room above while the others load up on loot.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 221

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

mushgnome wrote:Boggs dumps out the contents of his backpack and loads it with treasure according to the following preferences: 1) jewelry, 2) gems, 3) potential magic items such as potions, scrolls, wands, etc., 4) gold.

Brother Walfried notes the good example being set by Mr. Boggs. He dumps his own pack near Morin, then descends into the pit and loads up according to the Mouser's looting protocol.

"Gather what you can, and lets get out of here -- fast!" he says.
Walfried spends one turn loading loot, or loads until he has 30lbs (a full pack), then heads back through the door, through the boat room, etc, to the cellar exit.
[f=4]Brother Walfried (M 9", AC 2/4, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) plate+helm, warhammer+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 833

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

As previously mentioned Boggs has dumped out his pack and is loading it with treasure. He hands out candles to his friends, so everyone has a light source to carefully inspect the loot and grab the most valuable items. When he sees Anton he exclaims, "Congratulations, you're a rich man! You have earned a hearty bonus for your bravery. Toss your backpack and treasure-collecting sack down here to me, and then check the bodies of the fallen Boggsmen. Gather their backpacks, sacks, and torches--if they haven't been melted by dragon's-breath!"
If we scavenge the bodies of the dead Boggsmen, we'll have a few extra torches and 30lbs backpack + 30lbs large sack = 60lbs additional carrying capacity per recoverable body.
[f=4]Boggs Dwarf Rat Catcher 1 (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 7/7, N) padded+helm, cudgel, sling.[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 342

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin descends to the treasure, his strange eyes reflecting the glow of lamplight on gold. He maintains a paltry sum of silver coins in a sack for the party but will replace it with more valuable treasure as appropriate, and then fill his own pack with gold and gems to the limit of his ability to carry them away. As the party's light sources are stretched somewhat slim, Morin will propose an expeditious retreat from the dungeon. "Dawn does not come twice to awaken a man!"
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16348

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:01 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The dragon's hoard is great "pile" of mixed coinage, heaped like a nest, and littered with sparkling curios. Despite the stink of it, there is an undeniable glamor that has the fortunate survivors trembling as they recklessly empty their packs.

"No way am I missing this," utters Anton, his eyes as wide as anyone else's. He clambers down the awkward, narrow stair after everyone else. Excepting Chiron, who wisely keeps a watch from the lip. His fellows look so small at the bottom of the pit; ants stumbling about upon a pile of sugar...

It doesn't take long to reaslise there must be shovel loads of coins here. A dozen garden-barrows full, nay a score, nay TEN SCORE barrow loads!. It's uncountable, and un-sortable in the dark excitement. Mixed through the great pile are a scattering of valuable objects; bowls, plates, candelabra, tankards, boxes, canes, belts and scabbards with varying degrees of gold and silver gilt, flecking, and bejewellment. If this is the hoard of a relatively inexperienced wyrm... what trove must the great dragons possess??
Okay folks, I am going to check for wandering monsters each turn.

It will take everyone bar Lemmi and Boggs a turn to get down there.
Then it will take a turn to empty your packs, and refill them with whatever is closest (mixed coin).
If you want to pick out items, you can dig out one "item" per turn (they're partly or wholly buried in coins).
If you want to sort gold from the rest, I'll dice for how much you pick up each turn.

Turn One
Lemmi selected a valuable item (her second). Boggs arrived and emptied his pack.

Turn Two
Lemmi finds a valuable item (her third).
Boggs finds a valuable item (his first).
Morin, Walfried, and Anton arrive and empty their packs.
Monster check 1d6=?

Turn Three
Lemmi, Boggs, Walfied are targeting items, and get one more apiece.
Morin is sorting gold, he sorts 3d6=10 so 100 gold coins into his pack (about one-sixth full).
Anton fills his pack with abandon; netting most of a pack-full (600-ish random coins).
Monster check 1d6=?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16348

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:04 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron waits impatiently for his fellows below... looking nervously into the deep shadows that seem to surround him in the huge chamber. They seem to be taking for ever, and making a heck of a racket. If only the fools below would be quieter!
What orders for this turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 221

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Walfried takes a moment to lift his head from the pile of treasure. He stares about, suddenly aghast.

"This is madness," he says, "we must be gone from here! We'll come back better equipped!"

He shoves whatever is nearest into his pack & climbs back up the stairs out of the pit.
Walfried spends one more turn shoving his pack full of coins, then exits.
[f=4]Brother Walfried (M 9", AC 2/4, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) plate+helm, warhammer+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 833

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Boggs like all dwarves has a keen appraiser's eye for precious stones and fine craftsmanship. He carefully selects whatever he deems to be the two most valuable jewelry or gem items. If there is any room left in his pockets or backpack, he hangs on to a few low-encumbrance items: wolvesbane, tinderbox, signal whistle, and pipe. He also wouldn't leave behind any torches or candles.
We should get out of here before we attract wandering monsters! Boggs grudgingly abandons the idea of scavenging packs and sacks from his fallen men.
[f=4]Boggs Dwarf Rat Catcher 1 (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 7/7, N) padded+helm, cudgel, sling.[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1163

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron calls down, as loudly as he dares, Someone get up here to hold the watch so I can claim my share!
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software