(084) The Churchcroft Cellar


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:13 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Boat Room

Does Chiron really wish to spend the first (potentially decisive) segment shrugging off his pack and searching for oil? When he could instead fling his already fired lantern and potentially contribute to the combat?

Does Walfried truly wish to "spread out" when the boat hull might provide vital cover from the dragon's breath weapon??
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Fine, I'll edit Chiron's actions to indicate he throws the lantern at the dragon after he finds cover.

I hope there's still a fire burning to ignite my oil after I dig it out next turn. Assuming I'm still alive, of course.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 501

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

After experiencing a moment of -- possibly divine -- inspiration, Brother Walfried leaps into the boat & attacks from within as soon as the dragon closes.

"Get to the boat!" he bellows.
waysoftheearth wrote:Does Walfried truly wish to "spread out" when the boat hull might provide vital cover from the dragon's breath weapon??

I was not confident that the hull would provide any meaningful cover, because:

the monster snaps open its maw to disgorge a jet of hissing bile that burns instantly though Mero, his plate armor, and two of the Boggsmen behind him

:shock:

But I'm not going to argue with you. :D
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 9, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+cloak of elvenkind, short-bow, or helm+shield, hand-axe, color spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:49 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Boat Room

Walfried is the last to dash into the boat room, leaping for cover as the dragon exhales its deadly jet of acid. The old timber hull dissolves behind him into a hissing cloud of ruinous slush as Chiron hurls his lantern overhead, miraculously causing it to burst on the charging beast's snout. But it barely gives the dragon pause as it crashes right through the smouldering wreckage at the brave Boggsmen, impaling itself upon their weapons with a hideous shriek. Anton and Klaus' spears are driven into its breast by its own mass, the other two snapped and flicked aside. It thrashes horribly at this hurt, almost incidentally eviscerating Werner and whipping poor Schalgs' head from his shoulders in its wild turmoil!

The beast's head is aflame as it roils madly through the wreckage, creating total carnage! Klaus is crushed beneath it before Walfried brings his mace down upon the crown of its skull with a timely crunch. It instantly collapses with a heavy thud.

Then there is only the gentle hiss of dying flames as the room begins to grow dimmer...
Right, let's do this. It is a Combat Turn.

Move segment
Chiron, the Boggsmen, and then Walfried rush for the cover afforded by the boat hull. The dragon pursues.

Missile Segment
Will the dragon breathe or bite? 2d6=9, so it will breathe. The ref rules the boat hull will serve as hard cover (once only), so those cowering behind are spared.

Chiron will hurl his lantern; the ref presumes he will lob it indirectly so as not to expose himself to the deadly breath-weapon. Indirect fire is reckoned to be at long range or -4 to hit. Chiron throws 1d20=19! -4 makes 15 which is enough to hit AC 4. M&T has all dragons AC 2, but DD4 grades them by age and has AC 4. So... (ponders whether armor even matters here...) let's call it a hit.

OD&D is not specific about burning oil damage, but Holmes has 1-8 hp on the first "round" and 2-8 hp on the second "round". So one "normal hit" for each of two periods. That missile fire occurs outside of combat rounds doesn't quite gel, but we'll go with it. (Ref notes also that Holmes treats hurled oil as a hand ax, requiring a base throw of 11+ to hit a man-sized target, regardless of armor). So... Chiron's initial damage throw: 1d6=3.

Melee Segment
The dragon had to close, so there is time for only two melee rounds this turn.

First Round
The four Boggsmen have their spears set against the beast, so they'll have the first strike. Should they chance a hit, their spears will do double damage--and much hope rests in this!

I have the names Werner, Klaus, Anton, Schlags jotted down. Not sure of the other two, but they're slag now anyways.
4d20=14, 16, 18, 2. By the Hairy God of Rat-arsed flunkies! Anton has scored a famous hit (dragons are impervious to normal missiles, but not all normal weapons. Klaus also has thrown 16, which hits a DD4 adult black dragon (but would have missed an M&T dragon with AC2).

So it's two hits, each doubled (due to M&T p31 "if something impales itself upon the spear damage will be double or even treble if the force is sufficient." DD talks about double damage only).
Anton 1d6=4 doubled is 8.
Klaus 1d6=2 doubled is 4.

The dragon attacks as six men.
6d20=6, 14, 3, 7, 15, 4.
The 14 and 15 are targetted at: (1=Werner, 2=Klaus, 3=Anton, 4=Schlags, 5=Walfried, 6=Chiron) 2d6=1, 4 so 14 vs Werner and 15 vs Schlags. That's two hits. Ref dices for their hp 2d6=2, 3. Dragon damage 2d6=3, 6. Two men down.

Walfried attacks last: 1d20=9 it's a miss.

Ref applies Chiron's 3 hp fire damage in this, the first round.

Second Round
The initiative now goes to the attacker (unless any of a bunch of circumstances apply, which they don't).
So the dragon attacks again!
6d20=3,18,6,2,6,12. That's exactly one good throw from six. Who is targetted? (1=Klaus, 2=Anton, 3=Walfried, 4=Chiron) 1d4=1 It's Klaus! Ref dices for his hp 1d6=1. He's gone. Dragon damage 1d6=3. Klaus is slain.

Anton and Walfried attack: 2d20=11, 19! Walfried hits! Will it be a death blow? 1d6=SIX!

Chrion's remaining fire damage 1d6=SIX!

The dragon is slain.
As are Werner, Klaus, and Schlags.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16466

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The Lair

Morin approaches the first doorway entered (nearest the dug up room).

Boggs flits into the great chamber from the second doorway used (nearest the boat room), and scampers to the lip of the diamond shaped pit and the narrow stair down.

Meanwhile, in the pit itself, Lemmi pauses at the entry to the dark tunnel. Hearing the dragon charge off again is a huge relief. Then she spots the diminutive form of Boggs at the top of the stair, some 30-40ft above her. Looking directly up, she fancies she can see starlight at the very top of the wide chimney...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

My apologies, gentlemen, says Chiron as he peers up from behind the wreckage of the boat. If I had known I was carrying a Lantern of Dragon Slaying, I would have hurled it before now!

Chiron checks the bodies for any signs of life. Assuming he finds none, the mage continues, I don't mean to sound heartless with all of these brave Boggsmen fallen around me... but there's a dragon's hoard to be collected! Let us be off and see if any of our wayward comrades are still breathing.

Uh, does anyone have a torch? If none are offered up, Chiron checks to see if one of the fallen Boggsmen has any. Failing that, Chiron will find a suitably-sized splinter of the boat, pour a flask of oil on one end, and attempt to light it.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 501

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Brother Walfried stands amongst the wreckage of men, boat, and beast, and breathes a prayer of thanks, then a prayer of mourning for the fallen comrades.

"Here," he says to Chiron, digging a torch out of his pack & handing it to the Medium.

Then, taking note that several comrades are missing, and not amongst the wreckage:

"Let's see if our missing friends are still alive, perhaps in the room with the dragon's hoard. Let's gather what we can and get it out of here. We've won great spoils, I've no doubt, but the cost has been high." Turning to the surviving Boggsmen, he says: "Your comrades gave their lives bravely, and turned the tide of the battle. I am sure your commander will be generous to their families, though no gold can make up for such a loss."

With that Walfried leads the way out of the boat room, and down the corridor to the left, to re-enter the lair.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 9, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+cloak of elvenkind, short-bow, or helm+shield, hand-axe, color spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron lights the torch and follows Walfried.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 383

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:21 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

The Lair
Lemmi cares not for starlight (unless it is suddenly obscured by the now ex-dragon's irate partner): she is focussed on pocketting loot
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1037

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Boggs dumps out the contents of his backpack and loads it with treasure according to the following preferences: 1) jewelry, 2) gems, 3) potential magic items such as potions, scrolls, wands, etc., 4) gold.
That was awesome! D&D at its best. :)
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software