(084) The Churchcroft Cellar


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 520

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Location: Southern Quebec

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Orim stares, eyes wide at the spot where three men used to stand. "Retreat!" he yells, backing towards the door.
[f=4]Orim the Dwarf Fighter (M 9" AC 6/6 HD 1+2 hp 7/7 FC Man+1) leather+helm, spear+hand axe[/f]
[f=32]Aldbane the Cleric (M 6" AC 2/3 HD 2 hp 9/9) plate+shield+helm, war hammer, sling[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1059

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

All is lost! Boggs bravely runs away.
User avatar

Posts: 533

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:49 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

"Retreat!" bellows Brother Walfried, and suits his actions to those words. He will do whatever he can to retreat back into the passage, close the door (if he's last through it), and run like hell down the passage & either through the door on the right (if it's still open), or around the corner to the left -- trying to clear the passage so that the company is not caught in a deadly line in the corridor.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 9, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+cloak of elvenkind, short-bow, or helm+shield, hand-axe, color spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron continues his retreat. If the door is open, he exits the room. If not, he hides behind the column closest to the door.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 387

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:08 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Lemmi watches in horror as the giant black serpent descends from above, reducing three of the party to steaming husks with some sort of foul breath. Greenskins she had expected, but this?

She eyes the door, and escape, hopefully for a moment, but decides the congestion of flailing boggsmen will likely impede any effective egress.

Cursing herself, she melts deeper into the shadows, hoping to meld with the very stones themselves.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:30 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin is thinking along the same lines as Brother Walfried; he retreats into the passageway and thence just beyond the first available corner, and tries to direct the others to do likewise.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16470

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:46 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Lemmi melts into the deeper shadows and looks on in horror as Orim the dwarf bravely withdraws, facing the black serpent to the last as the rest of the company bolt for the door, and all but tumble through it in their haste! The dragon pounces on poor Orim, knocking him off balance with a swipe of its fore-claw, then snatching him in its jaws--cobra like--before he ever hits the ground. With a fierce shake of its head it breaks him, but the time it flings his limp body aside the rest of the company are into the passage from whence they came. Walfried is last out the door, giving Orim one last rueful glance over his shoulder as he covers the retreat...

The dragon is a mere 20ft behind Walfried, and looks poised to pursue!
The players attempt to flee.

Poor Orim is only 15-20ft from the dragon, and is nearest target. He is moving backward, in his defensive position, so probably making about 3". The dragon's ground movement rate is 9", so it will make melee contact with Orim.

Meanwhile, Chiron, Morin and the Boggsmen move 12". Walfried, Boggs move 9". Lemmi is hiding.

Will the dragon breath or attack? 2d6=5. So it attacks.

The dragon attacks Orim as six men in normal combat.
6d20=9, 1, 17, 18, 2, 12, so two hits. 2d6=4, 6, so 10 hp damage.
Alas, Orim is slain!

However, Orim's sacrifice has enabled the rest of the company to get out of the chamber, and into the passage. Those in the passage see the door on their right, 30ft down the passage, back into the digging room. Otherwise, the passage turn left about 40ft down the passage into an unexplored region.

What orders for next turn people?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 353

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:13 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

"In here!" Morin points into the "digging" room and tries to keep the Boggsmen from scattering. He observes Brother Walfried entering the passageway, but also notes the absence of Orim and Lemmi. "What of the dwarf, and the female?" he asks of Walfried, pulling him into the room.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 533

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

His face red from running -- and perhaps also from shame at seeing his comrades cut down? -- Brother Walfried hurries up the passage, trying to see over the heads of his fleeing companions whether the door into the digging room still stands open.

"They are lost, man!" he barks gruffly at Morin. "We will avenge them later! Now: flee!"

If the digging room door is open, he'll shout for the party to head that way. If it is closed, he'll head around the corner.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 9, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+cloak of elvenkind, short-bow, or helm+shield, hand-axe, color spray (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron continues to retreat at the fastest rate of speed possible.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software