Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 am

Re: Primordial Ooze...

ehiker133 wrote:I guess I misread...
waysoftheearth wrote:That is indeed the game.
as "Well, that is the end of the adventure."
My apologies; I intended it in a more philosophical way.

ehiker133 wrote:Nothing more deflating to a player, however, than spending a year of real time in an adventure and actually making it out alive (and with treasure this time) just to be waylaid by a table where 80% of the results would challenge a party of 15th level characters at full strength.
Possibly a slight exaggeration there, but granted the wilderness encounter tables are tough.

You'll notice that I tempered it somewhat by using Arneson's "number encountered" rule from FFC, so that you encountered a fraction of the full 30-300 number?

Even so, it has always struck me that the wilderness tables are a flat "all or nothing" challenge compared to the dungeons where difficultly increases with depth, AND number encountered is scaled by size of the party. This is an area of the core rules which begs "custom" encounter tables to be devised for campaign specific regions. Possibly it's something I could do some work on for Hinterlands, but in truth I'm pretty relieved with how it turned out so far. E.g., I could have diced 6 chirmerea instead of 1 gold dragon. And then 12 trolls instead of 12 elves. Even if I do tweak the kinds of monsters on the encounter tables, I'm not sure I'd fiddle the numbers side of it any more than I already have.

So anyways. That's D&D (or as near as I can figure to it) :D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by coffee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Out Of Character

I have to say, I like that you're using the reaction table. We live or die by it, and it shows that Charisma is NOT a dump stat.

And hey, we can always roll up new characters...
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

The outdoor encounters are tough, but as Simon is an archeologist of the early mechanics we have to sit back and enjoy. Just as the early players learned to deal with it so shall we.

Here are some notes

1) we can bribe intelligent encounters

2) when fleeing drop food or gold to increase odds of getting away

3) when fleeing make turns/go through doors to increase odds of getting away

4) In the early game Gygax's players moved to outdoor adventure in the mid-levels to "abuse" the system. Basically once they had the ability to fly (carpets, spells, rings, mounts, etc...) they could choose their battlegrounds and what to engage. In modern video game terms outdoor encounters where used to grind or farm. :)
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:36 am

I was hoping for a positive outcome at Un Amost, and that it could become a new base of operations/recruitment ground. Alas, my best designs have been temporarily thwarted by dice...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Short delay folks; being smashed at work this week. Resolutions forthcoming...

Post by Eris » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:37 pm

It looks like Hurricane Nate is coming to visit. The track has moved east from Louisiana to the AL/MS line and may either move more east or track NE after landfall. Nate is projected to be a Cat 1 at landfall, but with the warm water in the Gulf could get up to Cat 2. Keep in mind that going up from a Cat Level means about 10 times worse damage.

I'm 10 miles east of Pensacola and about 20 miles inland. We are sure to get prolonged Tropical Storm winds and if Nate strengthens (and I think it will) Hurricane force winds for a few hours. TS isn't too bad, but even Cat 1 is a real bitch! Ivan just about destroyed the coastal areas here and it was a Cat 2, and you all know what Cat 3 Katrina did. Folks, I've only evacuated once and that was when Cat 3 Opal hit us back in 1995.

Where I am there's no danger of storm surge or flooding and this house is sturdy, so unless a tornado hits us I think we'll be okay from the winds of a Cat 1 storm. At the moment, I'm more worried about roof damage and leaks than anything else. Overall, I'm sure there will be some damage to trees and the maybe to the house, but unless we roll two or three consecutive 2's we should be okay.

However, electricity, cell and internet will very likely go out and stay out for a long time. We were dark for two weeks when Ivan (Cat 2) came through in 2004 and one week when Dennis (Cat 1) hit in 2005. So, don't be surprised if I'm not around for a couple of weeks. Don't been overly worried, because I'm probably fine, just dropped down a few tech levels for a bit.

I'll continue to post until I lose power, but don't be surprised if the games aren't my primary interest right now. On the other side of this when I get a chance to let y'all know that I'm okay, I'll do so.

Wish me luck!
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by sully » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Eris wrote:It looks like Hurricane Nate is coming to visit.
Best of luck. Hope you see the best case scenario.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:08 am

Oh man. Best wishes that you and yours ride out that storm safely.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:16 am

I am currently on my way to Bali, Indonesia. Will have some Internet access while I'm gone, but will mostly be concentrating on enjoying where I am. Please NPC as necessary, if we happen to get out of the elven camp.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Stay safe, Eris!

And ehiker, travel safe & enjoy!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”