Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Eris » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Re: Out Of Character

I'm back!

Nate landed 100 miles to my west, unfortunately all the bad weather was to Nate's east, and then it angled to the East North East so it ended up keeping us in it's worst (outside the eye wall, that is) weather for several hours. We lost power for a short while Saturday night, but it was restored by Sunday mid-day. Cable/Internet appears to have stayed on the whole time, but there was no way of telling with power out. Several stations didn't come back until last night, all the down stations shared a transmission tower to my North West...right where Nate passed...so I think that tower had some problems.

Damage to property was minimal. Some branches were down, a couple of shingles were blown off, and we had a little roof leakage in one spot. I think the wind was blowing rain under the flashing along the roof ridge line at the south end, that would explain where the lead was located and the small amount that got in.

Thanks to everyone's best wishes and let's hope no more cyclones trouble anyone else this year!

Eris
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Good News! Glad the roof held up.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am

Good to hear all is well.

I have been in my own personal cyclone of crazy work commitments; hoping to get back with some updates shortly...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by acodispo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Glad to hear you came through alright, Eris!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by sully » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Glad you're ok, Eris.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:23 am

Apologies for the lack of pace folks; I have been totally buried at work recently. I'm considering giving it all away and living the remainder of my days in a motor home. Oh, wait. I need internet.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by acodispo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:05 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:Oh, wait. I need internet.
:D
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:47 pm

A moment of reflection on the dragon combat in the Churchcroft thread...

DD has dragons more "graded" by age category than does the original. M&T would have had it AC2 HD7 hp 21, whereas in this instance (via DD4 stats) it was AC4 HD6 hp20. Was the difference significant? Two pips of AC would have avoided one of the spear hits (possibly saving 4 hp), but that probably wasn't decisive in the recent encounter. The dragon took a total of 3+10+4+6+6=29hp. It would have been slain even without the second spear hit.

7HD would have given it an extra attack in each round. As it was, it only scored 3 hits from 12 attacks which was probably the most significant element in favor of the players. An extra attack in each of two rounds might have altered the outcome.

The lantern bomb. According to Holmes, hurled oil attacks are versus AC9 (or thereabouts) which is a pretty big deal. Retrospectively, I think a firebomb that doesn't have to beat armor should be considered an "area effect", which therefore should allow a saving throw (vs breath weapon). In that case the dragon would have saved as a 6th level fighter and had a pretty decent chance of avoiding the second damage roll, which happened to be a 6.

In all, a very interest encounter and a great learning experience :) Fortune appears to have favoured the bold!

Post by sully » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:33 pm

I honestly thought a direct confrontation was suicide.

To me, the critical roll was the morale check on the Boggsmen. When they stood fast with the 12 roll, we were committed to battle.

The rest is history!
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by acodispo » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:38 pm

sully wrote:To me, the critical roll was the morale check on the Boggsmen. When they stood fast with the 12 roll, we were committed to battle.
Morale is one of those things where I cannot understand how it was dropped from later editions of D&D (e.g. 3rd Ed, as I recall). It's one of the big creators of the feeling of a living, breathing world outside the actions of the PCs.

Return to “Hinterlands”