(082) The Darkness Below

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 13, 2017 2:58 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

All right, I'm assuming the objective is to maintain a movement rate of 9". I'll need to figure out how much treasure everyone can carry... bear with me...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 13, 2017 5:14 am

Encumbrance has always been a painful thing. And it only gets more diabolical with house rules that "fiddle" the weight of coins and armor...

So. Let's assume a regular man-type can carry up to 100 lb at 9", and up to 150 lb at movement rate 6". An unusually "strong" man (15+ strength) can instead bear 120 lb and 200 lb at those movement rates.

DD5 has 100 coins weighing 5 lbs (half the load of M&M, so you can carry twice as many).
The jewelry, cups, bowls, etc. can weigh an average of 1 lb each; there are 12 pieces, so that's 12 lbs.

Leudigar's sheet says he is carrying 99 lb.
Zem's sheet accounts for 60 lb of gear, plus he appears to have some other stuff. Let's round it to 70 lb.
Manfried's sheet doesn't appear to have a load, but a quick scan looks like it's around 40 lb.
Karl's sheet doesn't appear to have a load, but a quick scan looks like it might be around 70 lb.

If you want to figure a more accurate load, or to drop some stuff, please update the gear and loads on your sheet according to p18 here, except that armor weighs 20/35/50 lb for leather/mail/plate (or 15/25/40 lb for dwarfs).

Assuming you want to maintain a 9" move rate, then it appears that Leudigar is full, Zem can carry another 20 lb of treasure, Manfried can carry 30 lb of treasure, and Karl can carry 50 lb of treasure. All up that would be approximately 100 lb of treasure total, or about 2,000 coins. About one-third of what is present.

If you are prepared to drop to a 6" move rate, then Leudigar can carry an extra 50 lb, Zem can carry another 70 lb, Manfried can carry another 80 lb, and Karl can carry another 100 lb of treasure. All up that would be about 300 lb of treasure, or about 6,000 coins. That would be most of what is present. But, remember it was a three day hike to get to here... it could be longer if you're slowed down.

So... what move rate do you want? And what if any gear to you want to abandon?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by Eris » Sun May 14, 2017 5:01 am

I'm for staying a 9" in movement. Freid isn't dropping anything either. So, if that's the jewelry and 2,000 gold coins, then that's not a bad haul at all. The remaining treasure probably won't be here if we can return, but even so, let's take what we can and go. It's a long way back to that camp with many a danger between here and there.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:12 am

Leudigar is at 99lbs WITH 16lbs of treasure. This is indicated on his character sheet.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by coffee » Sun May 14, 2017 5:24 am

I compared Karl's load to the DD5 weight list. Even giving a lighter weight for the backpack (since it's not full), I come up to 102 pounds.

I, too, think we should stick to the 9" move.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 am

Okay, so the players agree on a 9" move rate, and thus a 100 lb limit, except Karl who can carry 120 lb.

Leudigar can carry 17 lb of treasure (to make 100 lb); thanks ehiker for keeping such great records. Leudigar has two empty large sacks which can each hold 30 lb, which may prove to be very wise.

I figure Zem is carrying 76 lb of gear (sheet updated); means he could carry 24 lb of extra treasure, except he only has space for 9 lbs extra in his pack.

I figure Fried is carrying 78 lb of gear (sheet updated), plus 20 for the mail, means he could carry another 2 lb of treasure. His pack is full, and his small sack has 3 lb more capacity. Interestingly, in addition to sword, shield, helm and cloak, Fried is already carrying: a full pack (including 10 days supplies), a half full sack, a water skin, a coil of rope and grappling hook, a pole, and a clutch of arrows. I have down graded his movement rate to 9".

I figure Karl is carrying 93 lbs (sheet updated). This means he can carry up to 27 lb of treasure. He has 21 lb capacity available in his pack, and 3 lb capacity in his purse (assuming it's a small sack), so total 24 lb capacity available.

Beyond the mail, which I assume Fried will wear,
The first 12 lb of treasure will be the various valuable items,
After that, there are 30 lbs of gold coins,
After that, there is as much silver as you can carry (at 9").

Assuming you are making a beeline for home base, I reckon Fried could easily ditch half his supplies, arrows, and pole.

Anyways, please tell me who is carry what, and how (i.e., in what container).

Post by mgtremaine » Sun May 14, 2017 12:39 pm

I'll refigure mine but I was trying to get all the torches out of my pack and all but 5 days worth of rations as per here http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic ... 246#p27246 . Tinderbox ? down as 1 but box says 0

Sheet edited with more obvious notes.... I'm carrying 65 / 100 so I can handle 35lbs of treasure. Pack can hold 20lbs of treasure so if there is a spare bag fill it to 15lbs and hand it to me.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by Eris » Sun May 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Freid grumbles about never getting a bow to use the arrows with, so he'll drop them. He'll also drop the pole here.

He'll say, "I have 10 days of rations and a water skin, I'll share the food and water with you all, If we share and share alike with the treasure, as well, That'll just about get us all back to the camp, so, some of you might want to exchange a bit of food for more treasure."

Freid will go through the half filled sack and ditch anything in there that he thinks is less valuable than gold and silver coins.

"It's too bad we haven't found a place we could hide some of the treasure we can't carry." Fried says as he adds a few more coins now that he's dropped the arrows, pole and any dross he's picked up along the way.
I've updated Freid's character sheet, dropping the pole and arrows. The rope, hook and spikes he's keeping for now.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:01 am

If nobody disagrees, Leudigar will stow the 12lbs of valuable items in his pack, along with 5lbs of silver coins.

He cannot fill them and continue his 9" movement rate, but if anyone else has no more pack space and wants to fill a large sack with gold or silver coins, Leudigar offers them up.

Once everyone has packed up what they can, Leudigar says, "I've an idea on how we can hide at least some of this silver we're not able to take with us..."

He carefully lowers one of the large braziers onto its side, spilling out the contents of live and expended coals and ash. Then he sets it back upright, moves it over against a wall, and begins filling it with coins. Once the brazier is mostly full, he uses a borrowed shield to scoop up as much ash (the cool stuff, if possible) and covers the silver coins in ash. He repeats this for all of the braziers in the room.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 pm

Leudigar gathers the 12 lb of valuables and 5 lbs of silver.

Zem stuffs 20 lbs of gold into his pack, and another 10 lb of gold and 5 lb of silver into one of Leudigar's sacks. He gives the dwarfish grunt for "Fully loaded".

Fried is wearing the silver mail. He empties the whetstone, tinderbox, 5 sp and 1 cp out of his small sack, so that he can carry 5 lbs of silver. His pack remains loaded with 30 lb of food, spare torches, iron spikes, rope, and a grapple.

Karl loads up his pack and purse with 24 lbs of silver.

Then Leudigar explains his notion of hiding some of the remaining silver in the two braziers, which are up the terraced steps, and thru the ruined area below the arch... about 80ft of awkward distance away.
Let's assume a turn to stuff your packs with treasure. Monster check: 1d6=?

Leudigar's plan is plausible, but would take some time.
Let's say a turn to cart a few pots of silver up to the brazier and empty it. Then another turn to set it up again, conceal a large sack worth of silver in the bottom, and shovel all the coals back on top... so 2 turns minimum. Or... you could just skedaddle.

What orders for next turn?

Return to “Hinterlands”