(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem looks at the leader, spreads his hands in a non-threatening surrender ....."So you are going to show us the legendary nobility and honor of the Elves are you. Perhaps you would prefer to just shoot us in the back and be done with it now. We have fought Snorks, Bugbears, Witches, Medusa and all manner of Evil, we have suffered and lost friends, our dear hobbit and many others. Yet hear on the doorstep of civilization we face a worse foe, distrust. If only Sister Kianna had survived then perhaps you might be willing to speak with us and not just treat us like animals to be chased and shot. "
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

"Gwed hain!" orders the Elf Captain, ignoring Zem's protest.

Several elves move swiftly to cut packs free of weary shoulders, so that they fall to the ground with the unmistakable clinking of many coins. The elves pause before getting to binding the company's hands, as they were surely about to do.

"Na hi?" says the Captain, pointing at the nearest sack. A nearby elf scrambles to open the pack, revealing its load of golden coins...

"What have we here?" she asks sourly.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1646

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Before the elf gets close enough to do anything, Leudigar throws down his sack of coins, spilling them everywhere and making a commotion with them.

"Rightly earned goblin coin," Leudigar says fiercely. "You believe us now?"
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

looks like we either provoke a TPK or lose all the gold. The curse of treasure in the hinterlands continues. :twisted:
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:01 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

This is why it's so important to not get negative reactions :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

She signals her lieutenants with an subtle inclination of her chin, and the elves move in to bind the hapless company's wrists with strong elven rope.

"Tuli malral mel" she instructs as this is occurring, indicating the packs and sacks, and several more elves jump to collect the fallen packs and swiftly divide the contents into a dozen smaller sacks to distribute the load. Leudigar's spilled loot is partially recovered; though he notes with satisfaction that the last few dozen coins are left behind. Too much trouble.

"Now we run," she states bluntly, in common for the captive's benefit. The whole party of elves springs fleetly to foot, seemingly unencumbered by the treasure. Our heroes are towed along on short leads, always with elves ahead and behind them. They would keep pace if they were not so weary, but as it is their central motivation is the elvish arrow and spear tips that goad them along.

Where Leudigar's course would have steered them west, the elves instead set a north-easterly course, intermittently trotting and running into the rolling grasslands, and toward who knows what end. They pause for water and the briefest rests only when our heroes (other than the ranger) are on the verge of collapsing. And then they are off again, setting an urgent pace. Perhaps an hour before dusk, they top a grassy ridge and pause again. Leudigar reckons they may have covered 10 miles, and even he is almost spent. The elves seem to be looking ahead for someone, or something, but they give no clue what... until eventually he spots a company of riders approaching; more elves! And these with swift mounts.

Soon enough the two parties meet, and it is immediately apparent it is a planned rendezvous. Several of those in the saddle dismount and the Captain among them exchanges brief words with those already afoot. Glances toward the captives, and an explanation is made. There is a short discourse, and they seem to agree. Then orders are issued.

Several of the riders dismount and pass their snorting mounts over to those who were on foot, so that the captives can be mounted onto the horses, with their saddles tied together. Our heroes treasure trove, now divided into a dozen smaller sacks, is packed into saddle bags, and the mounted elves with their prisoners, turns the horses about to ride once more into the north and the west.

On the distant horizon... our heroes see the shadow of the Wild Wood brooding as they are jolted along.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1646

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Furious at their circumstances, Leudigar broods in silence during the entire journey, but continues to take note of where they are going and what paths they are taking, noting landmarks when possible, in case they have to return that way.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16442

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Right people, now we have to determine what the elves will do with their captives.

Possibly, we could turn it into a major episode, but the truth is that as captives you don't have many exciting options. Alternatively, I could resolve the whole situation abstractly with a single charisma roll per player (exactly as per M&M p11). So then, barring a sah-weeet charisma check, it's a modestly unpleasant outlook.

Allow me a moment to consider...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1501

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem would occasionally mutter about the irony of Elven bandits waylaying travellers.
Do what you need to. We're all bummed about the dice rolls but that's the game. At least we are all first level and not hero level.

Added: I better start preparing my "Death Curse" speech. :lol:
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Veteran (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid just tries to keep his feet, as tired as he is, and then stay in the saddle, as even more tired he is.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software